Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

11 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Could be ready anywhere Aug-Dec. I know it's a risk, but that may be a reason we could grab him. 6'8" 255 big man who can move well with the ball and shoot the 3. I'd take the risk.

I'd feel a lot better if there were some recent success stories of big men tearing their ACL and coming back to be good players in the same year.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Sounds like we're trying to get a GT. 

Would somone tell Coach Ford that no one calls players a 4 or 5 anymore. What’s the difference?  Just put your best 5 on the court and roll out the ball!! So old school as per this Board.  😂

39 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Would somone tell Coach Ford that no one calls players a 4 or 5 anymore. What’s the difference?  Just put your best 5 on the court and roll out the ball!! So old school as per this Board.  😂

I'm going with the coach on this one. Most of us agree inside help is needed. Agreed that we can start 4 wings and guards but they better be able to shoot. And French is going to need relief due to fouls and minutes. 

53 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

actually most teams play a 4 out one in dribble drive offense.   you still need a a big, a point and then you can call everyone else wings.   

Zink and HoosierPal like this

41 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

actually most teams play a 4 out one in dribble drive offense.   you still need a a big, a point and then you can call everyone else wings.   

That's fine.   Call them anything anyone wants.   Wings is fine. 

Now, assume my team is playing this season's Billiken's team - so we are all familiar with the roster.   I have a big, a point and 3 wings.   Got it.  My big will guard Foreman and my point will guard Goodwin.   That means I will then need to figure out which of my remaining 3 wings are to guard Isabell, Bess and French.  Call my 3 players wings - got it.   Interchangeable - got it.   But each of my 3 wings will need to have different skill sets in that I doubt each of my 3 wings can randomly and interchangeably guard Isabell, Bess and French - whom I trust you will agree have completely different skill sets.

My point:  have you simply taken away the labels and made things more difficult to explain and talk about?  A shorter, quicker, face the basket wing?  a bigger, stronger, back to the basket wing... 

6 hours ago, DirtyRican said:

Was at Vandy this past weekend and to get to the baseball outfield seats you need to walk through the basketball arena.

I think this is Matt Ryan putting up shots.  Cool little gym.

Vandy.jpg.0482a566d53c040cc3719a8a165106fc.jpg

Neat. Like to get a look see why they have the court raised like that. I that outfield pass through temporary or is it always like that?

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

I'm going with the coach on this one. Most of us agree inside help is needed. Agreed that we can start 4 wings and guards but they better be able to shoot. And French is going to need relief due to fouls and minutes. 

And our offense looked wayyyy better when we started playing 4-out 1-in down the stretch, even though one of the four was usually DJ. Get a big who can shoot at that spot and our offense will improve by leaps and bounds. 

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

That's fine.   Call them anything anyone wants.   Wings is fine. 

Now, assume my team is playing this season's Billiken's team - so we are all familiar with the roster.   I have a big, a point and 3 wings.   Got it.  My big will guard Foreman and my point will guard Goodwin.   That means I will then need to figure out which of my remaining 3 wings are to guard Isabell, Bess and French.  Call my 3 players wings - got it.   Interchangeable - got it.   But each of my 3 wings will need to have different skill sets in that I doubt each of my 3 wings can randomly and interchangeably guard Isabell, Bess and French - whom I trust you will agree have completely different skill sets.

My point:  have you simply taken away the labels and made things more difficult to explain and talk about?  A shorter, quicker, face the basket wing?  a bigger, stronger, back to the basket wing... 

I'd play my point on Isabel, my 5 on French and my wings would match up accordingly to Bess, Goodwin, and Foreman. French is more likely to post someone up than Foreman. 

I don't necessarily agree with a big, a point and 3 wings. I still want the traditional balanced skill set if possible. An inside big, a stretch big, a slashing wing, and a shooting wing along with a point who's best skill is to distribute. 

Quality Is Job 1 and Zink like this

Don't really care what number we specify a grad transfer big, but like to see the Bills sign an athletic 6'9' to 6'10" player for next season. With all of these coaching changes there has to be players available. Got some faith CTF will find one.

10 hours ago, almaman said:

He graduated from a university in 2 years while playing basketball?

Redshirted his Fr year. He took care of his Dad who died of cancer in 2017.  Apparently he is looking for a law school.  He could also be looking at Ohio State to reunite with Holtmann.

On 3/20/2019 at 3:03 PM, NH said:

In looking at players who recruited who could have a coaching change, one name that caught my eye is Thomas Allen at Nebraska. Good shooter and it wouldn’t surprise me if the Huskers were to move on from Tim Miles.

Brandon McKissic from UMKC is a local kid who had a solid season but I’m not sure if he would get minutes at SLU or not.

Not a grad transfer, but Allen is leaving. ECU and Xavier have already been in touch.

11 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Butler 6-foot-11 forward Joey Brunk is transferring, source told @TheAthleticIND. He’s a grad transfer with two years of eligibility. The Southport HS product averaged 7.6pts, 3.6rebs and shot 61.7% during his redshirt sophomore season.

Boom, here you go!  Two year big GT.

im sure you follow Butler closer than I, but could you help explain why a near 7 footer only averages 3.6 boards a game? Sure his minutes arent real high, but still.

15 hours ago, almaman said:

Neat. Like to get a look see why they have the court raised like that. I that outfield pass through temporary or is it always like that?

I am not sure but I would think it is always that way.  There didn't look like another way to get to the bleachers and more importantly the beer garden.

20 hours ago, wgstl said:

Im pretty sure if a coach gets fired it helps your chances of having to sit out the year.  but iirc its still not a guarantee (??) 

If they don’t get a waiver we can count on Ben Fredrickson of the PD trashing their program every chance he gets, right?  Or maybe that’s only for Mizzou transfers who’s dont get a waiver.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Rob Loe averaged less rebounds in more minutes his junior year.

true, but Rob didnt play under the rim at all times.  Brunk has no range, and seems to be a traditional center

3star_recruit likes this

49 minutes ago, ACE said:

Not a grad transfer, but Allen is leaving. ECU and Xavier have already been in touch.

It will be interesting to see how many non-grad transfers are given waivers to play immediately for their new team.