Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2019 at 4:05 PM, Pistol said:

SLU was a finalist for Allen in his original recruitment, although he was a solid NC State lean all along. He signed with NC State and then got a release after the coaching change there, and signed with Nebraska. Nebraska also has Karrington Davis, who was at Chaminade through his junior year before transferring to Montverde for his senior season. He ended up at Nebraska and blew out his knee in a preseason practice. Not that I think SF is an area of need for us at the moment, but interesting to note.

Davis tore his Achilles’ tendon in preseason.  Allen missed the last handful of games with a badly sprained ankle.  They may want to stick around and play for Hoiberg.

30 minutes ago, mechee89 said:

Did I miss a different transfer thread?

sorry I thought I was on the regular transfer thread! I commented on this last time there was some kind of upgrade of the site but now when directed to next unread thread on bottom of page. it used to say name of the thread, now all it says is next unread thread. First world problem 2b sure but still annoying.

12 hours ago, mechee89 said:

Cam Lard has announced that he is transferring from Iowa State. 6'9/245. Averaged 5.6/2.8 in limited playing time. The kid does have some baggage, but is looking for a fresh start.

https://cyclones.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9873

Id like this one.  He can score at a pretty good clip. averaged 12 per last year and only 5 this year, but his minutes were cut in half.  Also shoots 69% from the field!  While not the stretch many of us  want, hes seems to be a better offensive version of foreman.

17 hours ago, wgstl said:

Yanni Wetzell of vandy is looking to transfer.  6'10 junior from NZ. Stats wont wow you, 5.9 pts 3.8 rebounds, but will shoot the three(not well) 26%.  Could be serviceable for us.  Some what efficient from the floor at 49%, and shoots 76% from the line

A couple other grad transfers worth a look - another Vandy player, Matt Ryan, 6-8 forward. Averaged 8 ppg and led the team in 3-pointers made. Began his career at ND and is from New York, so maybe Van Macon has crossed paths with him.

Another one, Matt Freeman from Oklahoma. Only averaged 3 ppg, but played in every game for a NCAA Tourney team. He is 6-10 and shot a solid 36% from 3-point on 69 attempts, so would seem to fit the definition of a stretch big. He is from Rob Loe's hometown, so maybe he could help open a door if we have interest.

Zink likes this

25 minutes ago, ACE said:

A couple other grad transfers worth a look - another Vandy player, Matt Ryan, 6-8 forward. Averaged 8 ppg and led the team in 3-pointers made. Began his career at ND and is from New York, so maybe Van Macon has crossed paths with him.

Another one, Matt Freeman from Oklahoma. Only averaged 3 ppg, but played in every game for a NCAA Tourney team. He is 6-10 and shot a solid 36% from 3-point on 69 attempts, so would seem to fit the definition of a stretch big. He is from Rob Loe's hometown, so maybe he could help open a door if we have interest.

I think that I would be open to taking Wetzell and/or Ryan, but would also guess there are much more impactful transfers on the market. Wetzell can provide rebounding and post defense, but isn’t quick or athletic enough to be a difference-maker offensively. Ryan is a really good three point shooter, and is big enough to grab some rebounds, but that’s about all he does.

4 minutes ago, NH said:

I think that I would be open to taking Wetzell and/or Ryan, but would also guess there are much more impactful transfers on the market. Wetzell can provide rebounding and post defense, but isn’t quick or athletic enough to be a difference-maker offensively. Ryan is a really good three point shooter, and is big enough to grab some rebounds, but that’s about all he does.

I think Wetzell is a name to watch because I think we were one of the finalists for him when he moved up from D2.  

17 hours ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Looks like he had surgery 2/6 and walking without crutches 3/12. Without any setbacks he should be good to go by start of season.

I believe you. Just seems fast.  With all the twisting, jumping and running, is the recovery time for a D1 basketball player really that soon? 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

I can't find the non-grad transfer thread, so i'll leave this here.  Giddens and Petty join a couple of other 'bama players who are transferring. 

Giddens is like Rashad Anthony.  just sllighty slighty better offensively.  Petty is pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Most of these guys would be able to play immediately, correct? Schools almost always waive the sit-out year requirement if the coach gets fired?

2 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Anyone know if Petty (or any other transfer who is leaving after a coaches firing) has a better shot than in recent years to get a waiver and play right away?

Im pretty sure if a coach gets fired it helps your chances of having to sit out the year.  but iirc its still not a guarantee (??) 

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

For those interested in Smits.

Something about a 7 footer only averaging 5 boards on a bad offensive shooting team, in a conference like the Valley scares me away. 

But I do like 7 footers.

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Something about a 7 footer only averaging 5 boards on a bad offensive shooting team, in a conference like the Valley scares me away. 

But I do like 7 footers.

I saw a few of his games on TV, and he wasn't very impressive.  OK for the Valley, but he wasn't even starting at the end of the season for a 15-18 team.  I only posted because someone earlier had the Jones for him.

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I believe you. Just seems fast.  With all the twisting, jumping and running, is the recovery time for a D1 basketball player really that soon? 

Could be ready anywhere Aug-Dec. I know it's a risk, but that may be a reason we could grab him. 6'8" 255 big man who can move well with the ball and shoot the 3. I'd take the risk.