Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

55 minutes ago, ACE said:

After this weekend, I'd happily take another TI 😉

Really good interview Frank did with TI this morning. Sometimes this year I felt like I was one of the few TI apologists on this board, and he did make his share of boneheaded plays and his body language was sometimes maddening, BUT I came away even more impressed with him after hearing the interview. I had never really heard him previously, but he was very thoughtful and had some good insights. He said the offense flowed better after Gordon't departure - they changed the offense and it freed him and Goodwin to get in the lane more. It also freed up French. Also, a very interesting story about his recruiting. He said he was about ready to commit to Xavier and he had one final conversation with Ford and it changed his mind. He praised Ford and said he had a great relationship with him - described him as a man of his word. Excellent testimonial for future grad transfers.

totally agree. TI has coaching in his future if he wants to go that route. Very diplomatic about CG.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

If Gibson can emulate Thor’s brother than he will be fine. 

If his brother could of we'd be much higher seed. :)

Fun contrast going from Frank's more fanlike show to Ramsey's more coach like analysis now

37 minutes ago, ACE said:

We definitely have had some folks say no more grad transfers (not saying you).

With three scholarships, I expect one of them to be a guard. Why not have one of them be senior? Especially when you enter a season with no senior class. What's wrong with a little competition on the roster?  If these freshmen guards are as good as you think, then they have nothing to worry about regarding playing time. If the young kids are better, the yet to be determined grad transfer just becomes practice fodder and we have a scholarship freed up for 2020. 

But coaches rarely operate that way.  A freshman has to be head and shoulders above an upperclassman to get the nod. That scenario plays out time and time again across all of college basketball. 

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

But coaches rarely operate that way.  A freshman has to be head and shoulders above an upperclassman to get the nod. That scenario plays out time and time again across all of college basketball. 

First, not all grad transfers are expecting to be starters. A Dion Wiley, for example, came here to be a role player with a chance to make the NCAA Tourney. If a freshman is outperforming an upperclassman, the freshman will get the nod. Look at what happened at Duquesne. Carry and a couple other young guards performed well and significantly cut into Lewis' playing time. There was no loyalty to the more experienced player. 

If these new guards are as good as you believe, they have nothing to worry about. I would be very surprised if we don't add one more guard.

13 minutes ago, ACE said:

First, not all grad transfers are expecting to be starters. A Dion Wiley, for example, came here to be a role player with a chance to make the NCAA Tourney. If a freshman is outperforming an upperclassman, the freshman will get the nod. Look at what happened at Duquesne. Carry and a couple other young guards performed well and significantly cut into Lewis' playing time. There was no loyalty to the more experienced player. 

If these new guards are as good as you believe, they have nothing to worry about. I would be very surprised if we don't add one more guard.

Dambrot chose his own players over the guys he was left.  Carry is a two way player.  Lewis is not.

Let's talk a bit of the impact upon the team that Anthony (last season) and Wiley (this year) provided. They were both 1 year place holders, who achieved less than we expected of them in terms of performance, but which managed to create a positive environment for the team and helped the younger team members to understand their team's ways and how to become a part of it. This "glue" function goes beyond the value of just becoming practice fodder, which is also a valuable function. This "glue" function, by itself, is worth a lot, for a team needs to think and act like a team before it moves up in the rankings. So, there is a potential "glue" value for the experience and knowledge a grad transfer brings into the team which is independent of their performance as players or in practice. I suppose this "glue" value depends upon the personality of the grad transfer more than anything else, but I am not sure. If you can bring a grad transfer in who can act as team "glue" you are bringing value into the team, even if he plays only sporadically.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Go get Smits.

I know nothing about him but Rik Smits was awesome.

Those Pacer teams were fun to watch.

Sit him up front with Marcus Allen and Chris Pronger. That would be the strangest athlete grouping of all time.

It is a shame that Leon Spinks moved to Vegas a few years ago then we could have a real eclectic group.  

We need to find someone to convince Gretzky to start coming to a few games a year.

It is important to remember every single player on the team was injured, hurting, or DNP for a stretch. Having a starter capable grad guard who can take the reigns also gives Jacobs and Collins a practice challenge every day of the week, rather than just game days.

A grad transfer can be readily sold on a combination of minutes availability, NCAA tournament capable, glue mentor ship, and a great graduate degree at an incredible school.

18 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is a shame that Leon Spinks moved to Vegas a few years ago then we could have a real eclectic group.  

We need to find someone to convince Gretzky to start coming to a few games a year.

I'd love to see Cedric the Entertainer in a Billiken-blue fedora sitting courtside!

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Michael Spinks be better.

33 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Gretzky could bring Dustin Johnson and Paulina.

13 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I'd love to see Cedric the Entertainer in a Billiken-blue fedora sitting courtside!

giphy.gif

That would be a site too see. 

I think his new show is hilarious.

We need to get Nelly on board too.

Billiken games are going to turn into a who’s who of St. Louis.

Its going to be like going to a Lakers game with all the celebrities.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

It is important to remember every single player on the team was injured, hurting, or DNP for a stretch. Having a starter capable grad guard who can take the reigns also gives Jacobs and Collins a practice challenge every day of the week, rather than just game days.

A grad transfer can be readily sold on a combination of minutes availability, NCAA tournament capable, glue mentor ship, and a great graduate degree at an incredible school.

Collins and Jacobs will be be going up  against Goodwin and Thatch every day in practice. Hard to offer a tougher challenge than that. Coach Ford said when we signed Thatch that he sees him as a combo guard. He was used primarily a defensive stopper this year but I think you'll see him handle the ball more next year.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

Gretzky could bring Dustin Johnson and Paulina.

That would be a site too see. 

I think his new show is hilarious.

We need to get Nelly on board too.

Billiken games are going to turn into a who’s who of St. Louis.

Its going to be like going to a Lakers game with all the celebrities.

City Spud out of the can yet?  Jon Hamm should be a go.

3 hours ago, Old guy said:

Let's talk a bit of the impact upon the team that Anthony (last season) and Wiley (this year) provided. They were both 1 year place holders, who achieved less than we expected of them in terms of performance, but which managed to create a positive environment for the team and helped the younger team members to understand their team's ways and how to become a part of it. This "glue" function goes beyond the value of just becoming practice fodder, which is also a valuable function. This "glue" function, by itself, is worth a lot, for a team needs to think and act like a team before it moves up in the rankings. So, there is a potential "glue" value for the experience and knowledge a grad transfer brings into the team which is independent of their performance as players or in practice. I suppose this "glue" value depends upon the personality of the grad transfer more than anything else, but I am not sure. If you can bring a grad transfer in who can act as team "glue" you are bringing value into the team, even if he plays only sporadically.

Old school Elmers or the newer hipper Gorilla?

17 hours ago, almaman said:

City Spud out of the can yet?  Jon Hamm should be a go.

Fabbri, edmundson, and Parayko have been to a few games.  Need these dudes to be court side, those three are always up in the seats like the rest of us no goods. 

22 minutes ago, ACE said:

James Bolden, guard from West Virginia averaged 12 ppg is a grad transfer. Missed part of the season due to ankle injury.  He's from Covington, Kentucky....

Career 80% FT shooter and 40% 3PT shooter. Although his 3PT % has trended down each season...

Wonder if Xavier will pursue him. Covingnton is basically a suburb of Cinci. Isn't X a big fan of the transfer/grad transfer?