Grad Transfers - 2019

ACE

The news of grad transfers is starting to come out as seasons are coming to an end and a lot more will hit the market in the next week or so.

Mason's Jaire Grayer is on the list.

Another notable - Evan Gilyard from Chicago Simeon, leading scorer on a bad UTEP team, although looks like he may not be a grad transfer.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ACE said:

The news of grad transfers is starting to come out as seasons are coming to an end and a lot more will hit the market in the next week or so.

Mason's Jaire Grayer is on the list.

Another notable - Evan Gilyard from Chicago Simeon, leading scorer on a bad UTEP team, although looks like he may not be a grad transfer.

When Mooney is fired, you think grant Golden would like a fresh start? 

Aaron Falzon, a 6-8 stretch big is leaving Northwestern as a grad transfer. He averaged nearly 4 ppg in 15 minutes, but maybe he would thrive in a move to the A10. He had a very solid freshman year when he averaged 8 ppg.

I think a decent stretch big would really help both French and Goodwin with spacing. The departure of Jalen Johnson hurt this year's team.

With TI winning the Tournament MVP and making a trip to the Dance, Ford now has a great success story to sell grad transfer recruits. Even Wiley chipped in with a couple of HUGE 3s in the second half and ending his career on a high note. 

Some on the board were advocating no more grad transfers. I don't think they're going to get their wish. With no seniors on next years roster, I think the timing is ideal for a couple more.

10 minutes ago, ACE said:

With TI winning the Tournament MVP and making a trip to the Dance, Ford now has a great success story to sell grad transfer recruits. Even Wiley chipped in with a couple of HUGE 3s in the second half and ending his career on a high note. 

Some on the board were advocating no more grad transfers. I don't think they're going to get their wish. With no seniors on next years roster, I think the timing is ideal for a couple more.

Out of reactions, but good post! Next year a grad transfer or two would be super helpful. TI’s quotes post game will resonate with prospective transfer and grad transfer recruits. Plus I want to keep a couple of 2020 spots open in the fall for the local studs in that class. 

bauman likes this

Let us remember that without our two year transfers(Bess and Foreman) and our two grad transfers(isabell and Wiley), we would not be dancing.

We do need to taper down on our transfer dependence, but we do need either a grad big or a grad PG that can contribute. When it comes to crunch time, Goodwin is the best offensive rebounding guard in the conference, and maybe in the country. I don’t see underutilizing Jordan’s best skill and overusing one of his weaker skills.

billiken_roy and ACE like this

1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

We do need to taper down on our transfer dependence, but we do need either a grad big or a grad PG that can contribute. When it comes to crunch time, Goodwin is the best offensive rebounding guard in the conference, and maybe in the country.

Based on how engaged D. Jacobs has looked on the bench over the weekend, I’m hopeful he’ll be back next year which would then shift more of the focus to a GT big. 

2 minutes ago, Zink said:

Out of reactions, but good post! Next year a grad transfer or two would be super helpful. TI’s quotes post game will resonate with prospective transfer and grad transfer recruits. Plus I want to keep a couple of 2020 spots open in the fall for the local studs in that class. 

Yep, that's a key point too. Sets up well for the 2020 high school market. Get one more high school recruit which would give us 5, and then add two grad transfers.  IF one more spot were to open up, then look at sit-one transfers.

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Based on how engaged D. Jacobs has looked on the bench over the weekend, I’m hopeful he’ll be back next year which would then shift more of the focus to a GT big. 

Noticed that too. I came away thinking DJ would definitely be on next year's squad.  Although things can change rather abruptly for teenagers.

Hand raised high -- NOT a fan of the GT route.  But I understand.  We cannot go with five returnees augmented by 8 total D1 newbies.  But I don't want a Tramaine Isabell type to come in and then restrict the learning curve of a Yuri Collins.  A part-time supplement is nice but not a total takeover.  On the flip side, I also do not want a Rashed Anthony -- great teammate, great practice fodder, no real contributions come game time.  Ditto oft-injured Wiley.  And transfers that have to sit out are a little different as well.  We get nothing from them next year. 

I will watch with great interest what happens at Dayton.  Dayton just had a bench season like we did in Ford Year One.  Sitting out were four-year transfers Rodney Chatman, a PG from Chattanooga; Ibi Watson, a SG from Michigan; Jordy Tishmanga, a C from Nebraska; and Chase Johnson, a SF from Florida.  None except Chatman were real contributors at their former schools but of course the SVU denizens are ooh and ahhing because well, Michigan, Big Ten; Nebraska, Big Ten; and Florida, SEC ---- those schools (and their transfers) are going to chew up the little ol' A10.  I asm hearing how the best team in Dayton is the one on the bench.  Plus their all-NE JUCO recruit Jhery Matos went down this year as well.  Based on this, Davis, Mikesell and landers --- all starters once this year --- will ride the pine come next year.  That's not always akin to a great season. 

I'd love to see Tyler Cook graduate and come home.  But he is in the big dance too so he may opt out like last year but stay in the draft.  Who knows.  In my mind, I'm better with guy sliek Cook, Jamal Johnson, Evan Pederson -- guys who come home to St. Louis to play --- better than the real mercenary type.  We can only wait and see.

Id take 2 rashad anthony's.   But i agree w taj.   Dont want graduate transfers to be every year,  we need yo get off that.   But with no 2020 seniors seems needed to balance clases going forward

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Id take 2 rashad anthony's.   But i agree w taj.   Dont want graduate transfers to be every year,  we need yo get off that.   But with no 2020 seniors seems needed to balance clases going forward

I’d take 0 Rasheed Anthony’s. Holy crap thank god no one here makes decisions for SLU. 

I would rather roll the dice on guys who averaged solid 3 point and ppg like Isabel any day, even before he turned up in the back half of the season 

cheeseman likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Grad trannies are the poor man's version of one and done. we would not be deciding on what to wear to the dance if not for DW and TI. Obviously TI mainly but as little that Wiley gave us we sure needed his 2 3s yesterday.

5 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I’d take 0 Rasheed Anthony’s. Holy crap thank god no one here makes decisions for SLU. 

I would rather roll the dice on guys who averaged solid 3 point and ppg like Isabel any day, even before he turned up in the back half of the season 

First off anthony is reputed to have been a fabulous teamate and perfect practice player.   But you missed the point.  I am saying pretty much no matter who, we need at least 2 of the 3 remaining scholarships to go to graduate transfers. 

No need to trash an alumni that performed his roll as asked.    

SLU_Lax, ACE and Buster like this

5 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I don't think you understand. Taking on a role player GT is preferred to a role player-type frosh, because the risk is so minimal. Anthony wasn't the most talented, but since he was a GT, we were able to bring in someone with his scholarship immediately. So in this case, a class of 2020 guy.

15 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Hand raised high -- NOT a fan of the GT route.  But I understand.  We cannot go with five returnees augmented by 8 total D1 newbies.  But I don't want a Tramaine Isabell type to come in and then restrict the learning curve of a Yuri Collins.  A part-time supplement is nice but not a total takeover.  On the flip side, I also do not want a Rashed Anthony -- great teammate, great practice fodder, no real contributions come game time.  Ditto oft-injured Wiley.  And transfers that have to sit out are a little different as well.  We get nothing from them next year. 

I will watch with great interest what happens at Dayton.  Dayton just had a bench season like we did in Ford Year One.  Sitting out were four-year transfers Rodney Chatman, a PG from Chattanooga; Ibi Watson, a SG from Michigan; Jordy Tishmanga, a C from Nebraska; and Chase Johnson, a SF from Florida.  None except Chatman were real contributors at their former schools but of course the SVU denizens are ooh and ahhing because well, Michigan, Big Ten; Nebraska, Big Ten; and Florida, SEC ---- those schools (and their transfers) are going to chew up the little ol' A10.  I asm hearing how the best team in Dayton is the one on the bench.  Plus their all-NE JUCO recruit Jhery Matos went down this year as well.  Based on this, Davis, Mikesell and landers --- all starters once this year --- will ride the pine come next year.  That's not always akin to a great season. 

I'd love to see Tyler Cook graduate and come home.  But he is in the big dance too so he may opt out like last year but stay in the draft.  Who knows.  In my mind, I'm better with guy sliek Cook, Jamal Johnson, Evan Pederson -- guys who come home to St. Louis to play --- better than the real mercenary type.  We can only wait and see.

After this weekend, I'd happily take another TI 😉

Really good interview Frank did with TI this morning. Sometimes this year I felt like I was one of the few TI apologists on this board, and he did make his share of boneheaded plays and his body language was sometimes maddening, BUT I came away even more impressed with him after hearing the interview. I had never really heard him previously, but he was very thoughtful and had some good insights. He said the offense flowed better after Gordon't departure - they changed the offense and it freed him and Goodwin to get in the lane more. It also freed up French. Also, a very interesting story about his recruiting. He said he was about ready to commit to Xavier and he had one final conversation with Ford and it changed his mind. He praised Ford and said he had a great relationship with him - described him as a man of his word. Excellent testimonial for future grad transfers.

David King and willie like this