Jordan Goodwin Needs Tons of Work

Taj79

Without getting into the back and forth too much, this thread reminds me of things that might have been said about Conklin after his sophomore year.  I am very confident that when it’s all said and done, we will view JGood with the same reverence as we view Conklin.  Can’t wait to see Junior year Goodwin after a Conklin summer. 

Zink and CBFan like this

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Without getting into the back and forth too much, this thread reminds me of things that might have been said about Conklin after his sophomore year.  I am very confident that when it’s all said and done, we will view JGood with the same reverence as we view Conklin.  Can’t wait to see Junior year Goodwin after a Conklin summer. 

i just hope that ford instructs and doesnt leave it to jordan on his own.   the weak points at this point in jordan's career focus on making shots, both from the field and from the line.   both were specialties of ford when he played.   the last thing goodwin needs is to shoot a million shots over the summer with poor mechanics.   reinforcing mistakes only will make it worse.   

1 minute ago, willie said:

I’m sure there is ego involved with our coaches but I would love to see a Drew Hanlon brought in to work with Jordan and French. 

Agreed. Based on the results to-date, the staff needs to check their ego at the door and do whatever is necessary to help the obvious and fixable problems in front of them. 

We shoot better, the lane opens up for Goodwin to drive more effectively. He is pretty good at getting his shot off against guards. 

Roosevelt Jones had a successful career at Butler despite not being able to shoot. And I think JGood is on pace to have a better career than him. 

39 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i just hope that ford instructs and doesnt leave it to jordan on his own.   the weak points at this point in jordan's career focus on making shots, both from the field and from the line.   both were specialties of ford when he played.   the last thing goodwin needs is to shoot a million shots over the summer with poor mechanics.   reinforcing mistakes only will make it worse.   

I'm not sure Goodwin's mechanics are really all that bad, but I'm sure the staff will work with him and/or French.  It's also worth noting that Bess' mechanics are different (better) from last season.  Does anybody know if that was all him or was the coaching staff involved? I know he put in the work, but I gotta think they helped him with it.

Given the incoming class and their respective skill sets, I think Goodwin's gonna put up crazy numbers next year. 

Box and Won likes this

21 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Not Fultz lol

he did at first, somehow. I dont know what was more impressive., how fast he fixed his shot, or how fast he lost his shot and went back to his old ways. 

Don't worry .. the Hasahn French thread is coming too.  The difference has already been expressed .... Goodwin touches this team in far many more ways then French ever can.  So doing an apples-to-apples comparison with French won't matter. 

This is an end-of-the-season report card.  Pat on the back for A+ work, boot in the ass for lesser work.  Jordan Goodwin produced a lot less this year.  But its not really a slump, he literally did all the things he did last year.  He had more rebounds, more assists and more steals this year over last.  He also had more turnovers.  But lest we forget, while the totals cumulatively are up, he didn't play as many games last year due to the suspension late in 2018.  So his averages are down. 

And I'll bet you I said those things about Conklin as moytoy notes.  I also said I saw Jett transferring out after his sophomore year, as Ace likes to note.  Now SShoe is projecting big numbers for Goodwin based on who is coming in.  And all of that is fine and dandy.  But the bottom line remains that Jordan Goodwin, top recruit or not, needs massive work.  And since when is it against some law to criticize high-rated local recruits.  Results talk, press clippings walk. 

There are numerous Billikens I kept waiting on for that proverbial "I get it year."  Many never made it.  Goodwin is good.  I want great. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Whose shot did Drew Hanlen fix in six months?

Whose shot has been fixed by our staff in the last 2 years? Bess?  When your team is ranked 350/351 at something identifiable and fixable yet that thing gets worse with time, something needs to be done.  Whatever the staff is (or isn’t) doing ain’t working. 

20 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Don't worry .. the Hasahn French thread is coming too.  The difference has already been expressed .... Goodwin touches this team in far many more ways then French ever can.  So doing an apples-to-apples comparison with French won't matter. 

Ya let's make a thread bashing Hasahn French next. The guy who just made 3rd team all conference and All defensive team. Let's keep talking about percentages and numbers and how trash our players are. Nice

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

This is an end-of-the-season report card.  Pat on the back for A+ work, boot in the ass for lesser work.  Jordan Goodwin produced a lot less this year.  But its not really a slump, he literally did all the things he did last year.  He had more rebounds, more assists and more steals this year over last.  He also had more turnovers.  But lest we forget, while the totals cumulatively are up, he didn't play as many games last year due to the suspension late in 2018.  So his averages are down. 

And I'll bet you I said those things about Conklin as moytoy notes.  I also said I saw Jett transferring out after his sophomore year, as Ace likes to note.  Now SShoe is projecting big numbers for Goodwin based on who is coming in.  And all of that is fine and dandy.  But the bottom line remains that Jordan Goodwin, top recruit or not, needs massive work.  And since when is it against some law to criticize high-rated local recruits.  Results talk, press clippings walk. 

There are numerous Billikens I kept waiting on for that proverbial "I get it year."  Many never made it.  Goodwin is good.  I want great. 

Just stick your comments to the back of the Sophomore Slump thread.  Those who care to read it can do so there. Please.

30 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

You did imply Jett was going to depart. I don't know if you ever mentioned him by name, but I'm pretty sure the comment you made at the time indicated you were sure Jordair was outta here. Tsk tsk, shame on you :).

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Who are you to be giving all these kids "end of the season report cards"? Why do you think your word is law on this message board? Get over yourself, man. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Whose shot has been fixed by our staff in the last 2 years? Bess?  When your team is ranked 350/351 at something identifiable and fixable yet that thing gets worse with time, something needs to be done.  Whatever the staff is (or isn’t) doing ain’t working. 

We've only had 5 recruits play under Ford for at least two seasons. JJ and Bess got better with their shot.  Goodwin, French and Foreman did not. Not enough of a dataset.  Let's see how Fred and Hankton do.

I'm missing word is law part on Taj79 post? More the merrier tell us what your report card says.It is a message board. Seems like boards would be even less used and even more people would bail if all they got was derision. Of course there are always going to be some idiots and goofballs but there's nothing else on here. 

slufanskip likes this

23 minutes ago, almaman said:

I'm missing word is law part on Taj79 post? More the merrier tell us what your report card says.It is a message board. Seems like boards would be even less used and even more people would bail if all they got was derision. Of course there are always going to be some idiots and goofballs but there's nothing else on here. 

Derision is all anyone gets when anyone types anything @Taj79 even slightly disagrees with.

BIG BILL FAN and HenryB like this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

"...needs massive work"

This is Goodwins 2nd year playing point guard...ever.  He's learning on the job in a offensive system that doesn't showcase the skills that made him a top recruit.  Defensively he's also being asked to do more than he ever did in high school or AAU.  

What role does coaching play in his development?  

billiken_roy likes this

Coaching plays a huge role.  And Travis was a PG.  The math there is simple to me.  So is FT shooting.  And we suck there.  Same math.

As roy said, 1,000 free throws per day reinforcing bad habits is not good.  How about a summer in the gym for French with Bonner?  Goodwin with Claggs or Hmark.  Or Hughes?

Two things can be true at the same time: 1) Jordan Goodwin is really good at basketball and a really valuable contributor 2) There are a lot of areas in which Jordan Goodwin has substantial room for improvement.

He has a unique skill set, and is good-to-elite at multiple facets of the game (passing, rebounding, deflections, getting to the foul line). He also could be much better at several aspects (ball handling, 3-point shooting, free-throw shooting). My personal opinion is that because he didn’t improve as much as we would like in some of those latter categories, many on this board are taking for granted the things that Jordan does really well. He has also shown a ton of passion and work ethic, which I think should give us optimism that he will improve on some of those holes in his game.

moytoy12 and Zink like this

8 minutes ago, NH said:

Two things can be true at the same time: 1) Jordan Goodwin is really good at basketball and a really valuable contributor 2) There are a lot of areas in which Jordan Goodwin has substantial room for improvement.

He has a unique skill set, and is good-to-elite at multiple facets of the game (passing, rebounding, deflections, getting to the foul line). He also could be much better at several aspects (ball handling, 3-point shooting, free-throw shooting). My personal opinion is that because he didn’t improve as much as we would like in some of those latter categories, many on this board are taking for granted the things that Jordan does really well. He has also shown a ton of passion and work ethic, which I think should give us optimism that he will improve on some of those holes in his game.

Well said.  NH continues to be one of the best posters on the board.