OT: The Colonials No More?

HenryB

12 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

HenryB is a political troll.  That's been his schtick for as long as he has been on the board.  

In any event, there are a lot of reasons to change mascot names/symbolism.  I've written a lot about it on here (a long time ago). 

I find it ironic that people find the "PC police" both (1) useless and arguing about things that don't matter, yet (2) worthy of being bashed.  I mean, it's like saying "you're talking about stuff that doesn't matter, so i'm going to argue until i'm blue in the face about how you shouldn't argue about things that don't matter."

A political troll...really????  I have been on the board since 2005 and have made a grand total of 385 posts.  There are those that make that many in a month.  Yeah..  I'm a real pot stirrer. I have the audacity to express my opinion in an OT post relevant to one of our league opponents and it causes some to get their pink panties in a knot.  I follow sports for fun.  I resent the activists who continually inject their venom into it. And don't we have a short memory.  You defending the PC crowd...you know, the same bunch that directly impacted the S2 situation.  So ironic that even the mildest criticism evokes outrage in the defenders of PC and SJW.

17 minutes ago, HenryB said:

A political troll...really????  I have been on the board since 2005 and have made a grand total of 385 posts.  There are those that make that many in a month.  Yeah..  I'm a real pot stirrer. I have the audacity to express my opinion in an OT post relevant to one of our league opponents and it causes some to get their pink panties in a knot.  I follow sports for fun.  I resent the activists who continually inject their venom into it. And don't we have a short memory.  You defending the PC crowd...you know, the same bunch that directly impacted the S2 situation.  So ironic that even the mildest criticism evokes outrage in the defenders of PC and SJW.

+1000

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

I don't have a problem with it being posted.  Just don't understand why we would care.  Now I forgot about SLU Guy having went there so I get his interest but not sure why others really care.

I am going to agree with cheeseman, this is none of our business. If GW wants to change the name of its mascot, or its team, or its own name (usually done to honor a giant donation to the endowment) that is something for them to decide. I do not care if they want to become the "Fighting Walruses" team or the "Warren Buffet University," or whatever it may be they want to change their names to.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Geezzzz.  Well, while you are at it students, let's change the name of the university.  George Washington owned slaves 225 years ago. George Washington lead a revolution against authority 225 years ago.  By today's definitions, the Brits would likely have called George Washington a terrorist.  I'm sure someone today is offended.  Do the right thing.  Call it 'University' and how about some environmentally correct nickname, like River.

University River it is!

Hoosier Pal, "River Terrorists" may be a catchy and very contemporary name for their renamed team, a name historically inspired by George Washington himself (from a Tory viewpoint) as you mentioned. They can wear red shirts with black stripes with the picture of Che Guevara on them for a tasteful retro touch. The black uniforms with red stripes may feature Uncle Ho's  image, also tastefully retro. The River portion of the name, in honor of the Great Potomac River which is navigable up to Great Falls, would show progressive and environmental concerns. All of it very progressive and yet with a retro touch from DC's past. It has something old, something new, and is a completely new image for GW! I wonder what  the mascot would look like? Maybe like an image of a young Castro with his fatigues, beard and cigar, plus wading boots for the river...

Seriously now, it is up to them to do whatever they decide to do, whether anyone else likes it or not.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

I was certainly not comparing the two. I'm just illustrating that politics has always been present in sports. It's just easier to find now because everything is recorded.

True. I guarantee you that the majority of this board would have been disgusted by what Ali was doing back in the day. Any honest conversation with guys of my dad's generation tells the story of what most people thought of him. I think it's fair to say, if there were a Billiken board back then, Ali would not be portrayed as the popular figure that he is today. 

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

I am going to agree with cheeseman, this is none of our business. If GW wants to change the name of its mascot, or its team, or its own name (usually done to honor a giant donation to the endowment) that is something for them to decide. I do not care if they want to become the "Fighting Walruses" team or the "Warren Buffet University," or whatever it may be they want to change their names to.

Hoosier Pal, "River Terrorists" may be a catchy and very contemporary name for their renamed team, a name historically inspired by George Washington himself (from a Tory viewpoint) as you mentioned. They can wear red shirts with black stripes with the picture of Che Guevara on them for a tasteful retro touch. The black uniforms with red stripes may feature Uncle Ho's  image, also tastefully retro. The River portion of the name, in honor of the Great Potomac River which is navigable up to Great Falls, would show progressive and environmental concerns. All of it very progressive and yet with a retro touch from DC's past. It has something old, something new, and is a completely new image for GW! I wonder what  the mascot would look like? Maybe like an image of a young Castro with his fatigues, beard and cigar, plus wading boots for the river...

Seriously now, it is up to them to do whatever they decide to do, whether anyone else likes it or not.

Huh, if you’re  not interested, then don’t comment...I don’t think anyone ever suggested that it was our responsibility to do something about it... why are people so upset that someone had an opinion on something? It seems like some would be happy to have just the same handful of posters views and that everyone else should just shut up, if so, then have your own private board....I wish the numbers on this board would grow, but that’s not about to happen. People should take note of the Saluki Board that no longer exists because of this type of crap.

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Moytoy was too busy trying to get the Baby Blues in bed to worry about what they were called.

@moytoy12 I thought the political troll was just called Henry and I thought his Schtick was on the left 

I only got one of them into bed.  But after 7 years, one proved to be too many.

@billikenfan05, you’re right about “Henry”.  My bad @HenryB.  Nevertheless,  it’s a crap take.  

5 hours ago, HenryB said:

Confused you with another poster.  That’s my bad.  I apologize.

regardless, your position is crap.

5 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Stop acting like an ass moytoy. You were probably the loser who was responsible for having the Baby Blue name changed. The intolerance of others views has gotten out of hand....it’s a message board in case you’ve forgotten. It’s nonsense like this that has run previous posters away. 

Cool.  Put me on ignore.  Your life will apparently be better that way. 

Old guy likes this

10 hours ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think it was very accurately portrayed. It is a reminder how the PC crowd forced the removal of the name Baby Blue from the dance team. Also ridiculous that some need to call others a troll for stating their opinion. Pretty childish....

I never understood the a Baby Blue thing. Why was that considered offensive? Today with our Team Blue moniker Babby Blues would seem to fit. 

I am not a student at George Washington nor am I an alumni of GW though I have walked on GW's campus one... and I did live in DC years ago... but otherwise, I have no connection to GW.  With that said, I think it is a disgrace that anyone is attempting to change the mascot name of Colonials.  Imagine the offense of naming a team after 1st President and the historic name colonials - meaning of or related to a colony - our early governmental structure.   Also, I see nothing wrong with PC or SJA -- in fact, and honestly, I would personally use stronger more graphic words/letter than PC and/or SJA.  I further see nothing wrong or inappropriate with the posts or opinions of Henry.  And I agree Moy, it is crap.

18 hours ago, HenryB said:

+1,000,000