OT: The Colonials No More?

HenryB

34 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Why should we be surprised?  The PC and SJW crowd are at it again.

https://www.redstate.com/sister-toldjah/2019/03/11/vote-on-changing-gwu-colonials-name-coming-end-march/

I think the name change is a joke but you really could have framed this without using worn out memes like SJW and PC

rgbilliken likes this

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think the name change is a joke but you really could have framed this without using worn out memes like SJW and PC

I think it was very accurately portrayed. It is a reminder how the PC crowd forced the removal of the name Baby Blue from the dance team. Also ridiculous that some need to call others a troll for stating their opinion. Pretty childish....

I would be very upset as an alumnus if only the current students got to vote to possibly change the name of the mascot of my school.  Under that line of thought, a university's mascot only belongs to the group of students who happens to be attending that university that particular year.  The truth is that a mascot belongs the the current students and to every living alumni the university has.  If I were an alumnus of George Washington, I would be petitioning to have all alumni included in the voting.

7 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think it was very accurately portrayed. It is a reminder how the PC crowd forced the removal of the name Baby Blue from the dance team. Also ridiculous that some need to call others a troll for stating their opinion. Pretty childish....

all I’m saying is give me something different than the defensive tone of the post. Explain why the argument against the Colonials is wrong. Post a news article instead of a partisan blog. @cgeldmachergave us a more nuanced framing of the issue. 

rgbilliken and Zink like this

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

all I’m saying is give me something different than the defensive tone of the post. Explain why the argument against the Colonials is wrong. Post a news article instead of a partisan blog. @cgeldmachergave us a more nuanced framing of the issue. 

Want a news article?  Here you go.  MSNBC or CNN didn't post one (wonder why?) You mean I really have to explain why it is wrong to you...really???  You said in a previous post that it was a joke....how come you didn't explain yourself??? And since when did PC and SJW become worn out? Because you say so? Why do so many on this board have to be an ass???  https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-washington-university-students-push-to-do-away-with-extremely-offensive-colonials-nickname

19 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Want a news article?  Here you go.  MSNBC or CNN didn't post one (wonder why?) You mean I really have to explain why it is wrong to you...really???  You said in a previous post that it was a joke....how come you didn't explain yourself??? And since when did PC and SJW become worn out? Because you say so? Why do so many on this board have to be an ass???  https://www.foxnews.com/us/george-washington-university-students-push-to-do-away-with-extremely-offensive-colonials-nickname

Quite a few news outlets have reported on it. I found a local news article in less time than it took to type this up. http://www.fox5dc.com/news/5-things-you-need-to-know/some-george-washington-university-students-call-colonials-moniker-offensive-push-to-change-name

I think it's a joke because of all the complaints a group of people could have about "problematic" mascots or nicknames in sports Colonials is probably the least offensive(I would say not offensive) of them all. It's not a slur in any sense of the word directed at any group of people. I would say more concerning their comparisons they made but I really don't feel like going down the rabbit hole of political arguments on this board. Personally I felt there was a better way to present the issue, that's all I'm saying.

Geezzzz.  Well, while you are at it students, let's change the name of the university.  George Washington owned slaves 225 years ago. George Washington lead a revolution against authority 225 years ago.  By today's definitions, the Brits would likely have called George Washington a terrorist.  I'm sure someone today is offended.  Do the right thing.  Call it 'University' and how about some environmentally correct nickname, like River.

University River it is!

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Quite a few news outlets have reported on it. I found a local news article in less time than it took to type this up. http://www.fox5dc.com/news/5-things-you-need-to-know/some-george-washington-university-students-call-colonials-moniker-offensive-push-to-change-name

I think it's a joke because of all the complaints a group of people could have about "problematic" mascots or nicknames in sports Colonials is probably the least offensive(I would say not offensive) of them all. It's not a slur in any sense of the word directed at any group of people. I would say more concerning their comparisons they made but I really don't feel like going down the rabbit hole of political arguments on this board. Personally I felt there was a better way to present the issue, that's all I'm saying.

I agree with your reasoning.  Ignoring the political implications, however, is burying your head in the sand.  The ONLY reason the name change came up is because of radical politics.  Sports should be devoid of this crap.  Unfortunately this garbage now extends into every aspect of life.  I am certain that someday someone will find Billikens  offensive.

1 minute ago, HenryB said:

I agree with your reasoning.  Ignoring the political implications, however, is burying your head in the sand.  The ONLY reason the name change came up is because of radical politics.  Sports should be devoid of this crap.  Unfortunately this garbage now extends into every aspect of life.  I am certain that someday someone will find Billikens  offensive.

Ali was famous for his political activism. John Carlos and Tommie Smith raising their fist is an iconic image. It's not like politics in sports is a new thing. It's recency bias and rise of social media, 24/7 news etc that makes these things more prominent, it didn't create them.

rgbilliken and Zink like this

29 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I don't have a problem with it being posted.  Just don't understand why we would care.  Now I forgot about SLU Guy having went there so I get his interest but not sure why others really care.

You do realize GW is in the A10...don't you?  It was an OT post.

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Ali was famous for his political activism. John Carlos and Tommie Smith raising their fist is an iconic image. It's not like politics in sports is a new thing. It's recency bias and rise of social media, 24/7 news etc that makes these things more prominent, it didn't create them.

These f'ers today aren't Ali.  It is a disgrace to Ali's name to compare them.  Ali risked everything at a time when people were being assassinated for less.   Today people take these stances for likes on twitter and in hopes of endorsement deals with no real risk.  

dlarry likes this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

These f'ers today aren't Ali.  It is a disgrace to Ali's name to compare them.  Ali risked everything at a time when people were being assassinated for less.   Today people take these stances for likes on twitter and in hopes of endorsement deals with no real risk.  

I was certainly not comparing the two. I'm just illustrating that politics has always been present in sports. It's just easier to find now because everything is recorded.

HenryB is a political troll.  That's been his schtick for as long as he has been on the board.  

In any event, there are a lot of reasons to change mascot names/symbolism.  I've written a lot about it on here (a long time ago). 

I find it ironic that people find the "PC police" both (1) useless and arguing about things that don't matter, yet (2) worthy of being bashed.  I mean, it's like saying "you're talking about stuff that doesn't matter, so i'm going to argue until i'm blue in the face about how you shouldn't argue about things that don't matter."

Littlebill and rgbilliken like this

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

HenryB is a political troll.  That's been his schtick for as long as he has been on the board.  

In any event, there are a lot of reasons to change mascot names/symbolism.  I've written a lot about it on here (a long time ago). 

I find it ironic that people find the "PC police" both (1) useless and arguing about things that don't matter, yet (2) worthy of being bashed.  I mean, it's like saying "you're talking about stuff that doesn't matter, so i'm going to argue until i'm blue in the face about how you shouldn't argue about things that don't matter."

Stop acting like an ass moytoy. You were probably the loser who was responsible for having the Baby Blue name changed. The intolerance of others views has gotten out of hand....it’s a message board in case you’ve forgotten. It’s nonsense like this that has run previous posters away. 

9 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Stop acting like an ass moytoy. You were probably the loser who was responsible for having the Baby Blue name changed. The intolerance of others views has gotten out of hand....it’s a message board in case you’ve forgotten. It’s nonsense like this that has run previous posters away. 

Moytoy was too busy trying to get the Baby Blues in bed to worry about what they were called.

@moytoy12 I thought the political troll was just called Henry and I thought his Schtick was on the left