OT: Western Illinois

In the spirit of always rooting for "the little guy" I found myself drawn into the Leathernecks huge upset of South Dakota State and Mike Daum on Saturday. Especially because I consider them "semi local" as well.  I don't know if they have another win in them, but wouldn't it be fun to see the boys from macomb make the tourney with a 9-20 record!!  It would be their first ever trip to the big dance. 

They do have the nation's leading shot blocker and some freshman who look like they can shoot. Shame for Mike Daum though that as a senior he will miss the tourney.   Western will play North Dakota tonight at 6, so lets see if they can top the other half of the Dakotas. 

mrjoelabs2 likes this

This sucks. Audiences are now robbed of getting to see one of the best players in college (Daum) and a really solid team will have no shot at an at-large bid. I guess Omaha is now the team to root for in the Summit; they're the 2-seed and have never played in the Tournament.

This didn't need its own thread, either. There's another thread where these tournaments are being discussed.

Bizziken likes this

47 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This sucks. Audiences are now robbed of getting to see one of the best players in college (Daum) and a really solid team will have no shot at an at-large bid. I guess Omaha is now the team to root for in the Summit; they're the 2-seed and have never played in the Tournament.

This didn't need its own thread, either. There's another thread where these tournaments are being discussed.

Was really hoping to see the Dauminator in the tourney. That’s what makes it so fun. I don’t want to see a 9-20 team get smoked by UNC. 

Also really wanted to see Chris Clemens (2nd all time leading scorer in NCAA history) make the tourney but Campbell lost sadly 

5 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Was really hoping to see the Dauminator in the tourney. That’s what makes it so fun. I don’t want to see a 9-20 team get smoked by UNC. 

Also really wanted to see Chris Clemens (2nd all time leading scorer in NCAA history) make the tourney but Campbell lost sadly 

I do like Daum, but hes failed 3 years in a row in the NCAA Tourney with better teams around him. Their best team was probably his freshman year.  Campbell losing was a bummer. At least we get to see JA and Murray State get it going