NET dilemma for committee

slu72

Ok, as I've understood it the NCAA or whoever came up with the NET system it was to favor the biggies come selecting at large teams. And roughly speaking if you had a net somewhere in the 50s you might be in the running for a dance invite depending upon how conf tourneys played out.

Looking at the NET RANKINGS thru last night games here are a list of mids that have some pretty impressive NETS: 

Zaga 1

Nevada 12

Wofford 14

Buf 16

VCU 31

St Mary's 37

Furman 41

Lipscomb 42

Belmont 45

N. Mex St 47

Now Murray St knocked off Belmont last night. Their NET went to 44 but Belmont's is 45. Does Belmont not get in even though it would seem to have the NET resume? 

I do understand there's a lot of P5-6 tourney games left to be played and some teams could improve their chances by winning a couple of games. Take Butler for example their net is 60, they win a couple at MSG maybe they move to 48 or so.

But here's the problem take Wofford v Furman in the SOCON, say Furman wins the tourney, does Wofford, Net of 14, not get in? Is one loss going to drop them that far off the grid? There'd be some explaining to do by the Comittee if Wofford doesn't make the cut. So, deservedly so, the SOCON should get in two teams. Same applies to VCU, say we or someone else knocks them off. Is that loss gonna get VCU's ticket pulled? 

Seems to me the NET might be biting the NCAA right in the keister with just a few more upsets in these mid major tournaments. It may work to do just the opposite of what they intended, especially if the P5-6 tourneys play out with all the favorites winning their slotted games. Not likely, but it could happen. 

Matty Light likes this

Belmont should get an at large bid, but will not. I am hoping Furman can win the Socon and someone knock buffalo out of the MAC tourney, because Buffalo and Wofford are locks for at large bids, so 2 more mid majors could squeeze in that way. Also someone besides Nevada or Utah State winning Mountain West could make that a 3 bid league. 

52 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Ok, as I've understood it the NCAA or whoever came up with the NET system it was to favor the biggies come selecting at large teams. And roughly speaking if you had a net somewhere in the 50s you might be in the running for a dance invite depending upon how conf tourneys played out.

Looking at the NET RANKINGS thru last night games here are a list of mids that have some pretty impressive NETS: 

Zaga 1

Nevada 12

Wofford 14

Buf 16

VCU 31

St Mary's 37

Furman 41

Lipscomb 42

Belmont 45

N. Mex St 47

Now Murray St knocked off Belmont last night. Their NET went to 44 but Belmont's is 45. Does Belmont not get in even though it would seem to have the NET resume? 

I do understand there's a lot of P5-6 tourney games left to be played and some teams could improve their chances by winning a couple of games. Take Butler for example their net is 60, they win a couple at MSG maybe they move to 48 or so.

But here's the problem take Wofford v Furman in the SOCON, say Furman wins the tourney, does Wofford, Net of 14, not get in? Is one loss going to drop them that far off the grid? There'd be some explaining to do by the Comittee if Wofford doesn't make the cut. So, deservedly so, the SOCON should get in two teams. Same applies to VCU, say we or someone else knocks them off. Is that loss gonna get VCU's ticket pulled? 

Seems to me the NET might be biting the NCAA right in the keister with just a few more upsets in these mid major tournaments. It may work to do just the opposite of what they intended, especially if the P5-6 tourneys play out with all the favorites winning their slotted games. Not likely, but it could happen. 

45 is a bubble ranking.   Just depends on conf tourney upsets

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Will VCU get in if they get bumped? The SOCON is really interesting since WU has a net of 14. Same for the MAC if BUF goes down. 

I can't recall if the SOCON or the MAC's ever got 2 bids. 

SoCon never has received two bids before. Doubt Wofford will lose in their tourney though as they totally dominated their league this year. Be interesting to see if anyone can be the NC State to their Phi Slamma Jamma.

10 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

SoCon never has received two bids before. Doubt Wofford will lose in their tourney though as they totally dominated their league this year. Be interesting to see if anyone can be the NC State to their Phi Slamma Jamma.

Furman started out like a house afire. They have it in 'em to pull off a W. 

59 minutes ago, mrjoelabs2 said:

Belmont should get an at large bid, but will not. I am hoping Furman can win the Socon and someone knock buffalo out of the MAC tourney, because Buffalo and Wofford are locks for at large bids, so 2 more mid majors could squeeze in that way. Also someone besides Nevada or Utah State winning Mountain West could make that a 3 bid league. 

Not unusual for the MWC to get 3 bids. Just like the A10, except for this season. We could get in 2 w/VCU as an at large. 

The Spartans of UNC Greensboro take on Wofford for the SoCon Championship. Spartans have been coming from behind late game after game, and just did it again. They’ve lost to Wofford by 18 and 30 this year so falling behind won’t work this time.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

The Spartans of UNC Greensboro take on Wofford for the SoCon Championship. Spartans have been coming from behind late game after game, and just did it again. They’ve lost to Wofford by 18 and 30 this year so falling behind won’t work this time.

Anything is possible at this point regardless of previous results, depends how much the gap is.

Correction, the G lost to Wofford by 29 and 30. Hard to understand how a team with 28 wins can lose to the same team by that much. Equally difficult to understand how little freakin’ Wofford can be that good.

-well, here's who I expect is going to apply the screw job to the little guy...

Meet the Committee

Bernard Muir
Division I Men’s Basketball Committee chair and director of athletics at Stanford University

Muir began service on the committee Sept. 1, 2014, and is serving as chair of the committee for 2018-19.

Other Committee Members Include:

• Mitch Barnhart, director of athletics, University of Kentucky
  • Tom Burnett, commissioner, Southland Conference
  • Janet Cone, director of athletics, University of North Carolina Asheville
  • Bernadette McGlade, commissioner, Atlantic 10 Conference
  • Michael O’Brien, vice president and director of athletics, University of Toledo
  • Jim Phillips, vice president for athletics and recreation, Northwestern University
  • Chris Reynolds, vice president for intercollegiate athletics, Bradley University
  • Craig Thompson, commissioner, Mountain West Conference
  • Kevin White, director of athletics, Duke University

-with the committee make up I expect the big schools will soon, if they haven't already, demand more representation

-one more point....

Did You Know?

Conference representatives cannot be in the room when teams from their conference are being discussed for inclusion, nor are they allowed to vote for them. Same goes for a school representative, who cannot participate in or vote for their own school.

Committee members are assigned to conferences to monitor play throughout the season.

I'm reading now that Strength of Schedule will be used to oust selected mid-majors who have good NET's and good Q1 & 2 wins  If NET isn't all that important, and SOS is, why did the NCAA come up with the new metric?

Sorry St. Mary's your NET of 37 is really good, your 3-9 Q 1 & 2 record would be okay for an ACC school, but your SOS is 109.  Too bad you play in a crappy conference.

Sorry Furman, your NET of 41 is pretty good, your 4-6 Q 1 & 2 record would be okay for a P5 school, but your SOS of 175 is bad.  Too bad you play in a crappy conference.

Sorry Belmont, your NET of 45 is worthy of a bid, your 5-3 Q 1&2 record is really good, but your SOS stinks at 198.  Too bad you play in a crappy conference

What's the point of assessing quadrant results if it can be dismissed by strength of schedule?  If a school did well against its best opponents, why does the rest of the schedule have any bearing on that?

Just admit that you're chasing the money and stop trying to justify your shenanigans.

Zink likes this

The Pac 12  will be interesting, sure will be crazy if Washington wins the conference tournamnet

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm reading now that Strength of Schedule will be used to oust selected mid-majors who have good NET's and good Q1 & 2 wins  If NET isn't all that important, and SOS is, why did the NCAA come up with the new metric?

Sorry St. Mary's your NET of 37 is really good, your 3-9 Q 1 & 2 record would be okay for an ACC school, but your SOS is 109.  Too bad you play in a crappy conference.

Sorry Furman, your NET of 41 is pretty good, your 4-6 Q 1 & 2 record would be okay for a P5 school, but your SOS of 175 is bad.  Too bad you play in a crappy conference.

Sorry Belmont, your NET of 45 is worthy of a bid, your 5-3 Q 1&2 record is really good, but your SOS stinks at 198.  Too bad you play in a crappy conference

The WCC is hardly a lousy conference given that it includes the likes of #1 Gonzaga.

But your point is well taken.  St. Mary's Gaels supporters are used to being snubbed.  It has happened multiple times in the past, will probably happen again on Sunday.

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Can’t wait until a sub .500 Penn St. and its NET of 38 (after 2 big 10 tourney wins) get into the tourney.  

Also, blue font on the above.

9 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What's the point of assessing quadrant results if it can be dismissed by strength of schedule?  If a school did well against its best opponents, why does the rest of the schedule have any bearing on that?

Just admit that you're chasing the money and stop trying to justify your shenanigans.

From my point of view, it works this way (just like it does with government regulations): When you have regulations that point in opposite directions or divergent directions, the regs cannot be used to judge whatever it may be in an impartial (regs based) manner. If this is the case, whoever is making the decision can decide whichever way he/she wants to decide. Mutually opposite regulations and divergent regulations give the illusion or appearance of a process that is impartial (ie based on regs), when it reality it becomes subjective and dependent on whoever is making the decision. The NCAA will decide exactly who they want to have in the tournament, the NET and SOS will most likely be used  primarily as window dressing.