GDT - Hasenpfeffer (Marinated Bunnie Stew) ....

Taj79

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

I wasn't expecting anything in this game so I'm not disappointed. You're going to need a healthier team than we have to win in Olean or the conference tournament. The Illinois and Missouri high school playoffs are the best basketball you will see from a local team this month.

I am diasappointed, not a happy alumnus (x2), especially after SLU led by 8 at halftime. SLU, as an institution, with its $1.23B endowment and 12,649 enrollment, should not lose to St. Bonaventure with its $60M endowment and enrollment of 2,100. Yet, SLU has now lost 9 straight to St. Bona, which is flat out unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, Bonner89 said:

Yet another year when Ford doesn't play his best players in a big game.

Give me a great COACH over a recruiter any time.

Wha?!  That was an idiotic statement.  Do us a favor and put a sledgehammer through your monitor and keyboard.  Then put them back together and do it again.

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Wha?!  That was an idiotic statement.  Do us a favor and put a sledgehammer through your monitor and keyboard.  Then put them back together and do it again.

No, he’s right. No reason to not start and play Courtney 

18 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I am diasappointed, not a happy alumnus (x2), especially after SLU led by 8 at halftime. SLU, as an institution, with its $1.23B endowment and 12,649 enrollment, should not lose to St. Bonaventure with its $60M endowment and enrollment of 2,100. Yet, SLU has now lost 9 straight to St. Bona, which is flat out unacceptable. 

Endowments have nothing to do with what happens in athletics contests.

25 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Then Harvard should be the best basketball team in the country.

17 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Endowments have nothing to do with what happens in athletics contests.

Oh yes endowments do.  They show the power and money behind a university.

The University must show the full commitment to having a winning program.

St. Bona beating St. Louis U NINE (9) STRAIGHT TIMES, is akin to an ant beating an elephant.  

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Oh yes endowments do.  They show the power and money behind a university.

The University must show the full commitment to having a winning program.

Nah.  Athletics funding and a school's endowment are entirely separate.  I doubt there's any strong correlation.  You'd be better off examining the athletics department budget than the school's endowment.

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Nah.  Athletics funding and a school's endowment are entirely separate.  I doubt there's any strong correlation.  You'd be better off examining the athletics department budget than the school's endowment.

They are not separate issues.

SLU has 20.5 times more money in its coffers than does St. Bona.

When will the ignoring of the big elephant in the middle of the room end?  It's well past time.

3 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

They are not separate issues.

SLU has 20.5 times more money in its coffers than does St. Bona.

When will the ignoring of the big elephant in the middle of the room end?  It's well past time.

What schools do you see that dip into their endowment to improve their athletics programs from year to year?  That's not what the endowment is for.

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What schools do you see that dip into their endowment to improve their athletics programs from year to year?  That's not what the endowment is for.

Where did you read me saying anything about dipping into endowment?  You didn't read me saying that because I didn't say it.

But the endowment shows the money and power behind the school.

If St. Louis U wants to have a High Major, Non-Football, Division 1 Men's Basketball program, then it needs to give the full commitment to having one.  While SLU has made a commitment, it invariably shoots itself in the foot.  See Craig Upchurch fiasco, Situation 1, Situation 2.  

The ultimate reason the current SLU team has no depth and struggles against zone defenses is still due to the fallout from Situation 2.  Situation 1 caused SLU a likely NCAA bid in '11 and may have indirectly led to the Big East picking Creighton over SLU.  Situation 2 likely cost SLU an NCAA bid last season, and is about to cause another lost NCAA bid this season.

5 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Where did you read me saying anything about dipping into endowment?  You didn't read me saying that because I didn't say it.

But the endowment shows the money and power behind the school.

If St. Louis U wants to have a High Major, Non-Football, Division 1 Men's Basketball program, then it needs to give the full commitment to having one.  While SLU has made a commitment, it invariably shoots itself in the foot.  See Craig Upchurch fiasco, Situation 1, Situation 2.  

The ultimate reason the current SLU team has no depth and struggles against zone defenses is still due to the fallout from Situation 2.

I'm not arguing that SLU doesn't need to make a financial commitment to being big time in athletics.  I'm arguing that comparing schools' endowments is irrelevant.

You discussed some obstacles: what does the depth of the school's endowment have to do with any of that?

Well that was a bummer.

Bess and Goodwin are both having a hard time putting the ball in the hole recently. I wonder if Goodwin is gimpy too?

No Field goals from the bench. You can’t win like that. 

French needs to get more shots. 7-10 from the field. He should have had at least another 5 field goal attempts. 

Nice game by Isabell. 21/12/6, 5 turnovers but I think he is seeing the struggles and trying to do to much. I’ll take that line every night.

Over all not unexpected 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I'm not arguing that SLU doesn't need to make a financial commitment to being big time in athletics.  I'm arguing that comparing schools' endowments is irrelevant.

You discussed some obstacles: what does the depth of the school's endowment have to do with any of that?

The depth of a school's endowment shows both what should be happening and the potential of a school.  We can argue until the cows come home and beyond, but St. Louis U should not be losing 9 straight games to St. Bonaventure, period.  That point is indisputable.

SLU's financial commitment to the Men's Basketball Program is not the issue, and has not been the issue for some time.  SLU has made a financial commitment.

The issue that has derailed last season and this season is Situation 2 and the response thereto.

55 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The depth of a school's endowment shows both what should be happening and the potential of a school.  We can argue to the cows come home and beyond, but St. Louis U should not be losing 9 straight games to St. Bonaventure, period.  That point is indisputable.

SLU's financial commitment to the Men's Basketball Program is not the issue, and has not been the issue for some time.  SLU has made a financial commitment.

The issue that has derailed last season and this season is Situation 2 and the response thereto.

I usually appreciate your posts and point of view but I'm not feeling you on this one.....