GDT - Hasenpfeffer (Marinated Bunnie Stew) ....

Taj79

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

This season was a failure. I found almost nothing about it to be enjoyable. Just an overall crappy experience with a few sporadic bright spots.

But was that because they gave up or the roster fell apart? I didn't see a lot of quit in this team. I saw a confused bunch on offense at first. Then when Gordon cashed in his chips, I saw some internal problems. But they got over those. What I did see was an offensively challenged team that was losing games on stupid missed FT's, little or no threat to widen the floor w/ a consistent perimeter game, and failure to cash in on TOs they created. Yeah, all that's bad, but I never saw a lack of heart or effort. That's to their credit. 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so I know when to come back to the board....when are we allowed to be critical of the team and when do the excuses stop? Just let me know how many more years we have to give Ford before we are allowed to criticize him so I know when to log back in. I want to make sure I follow this board's rules of not being mean to a guy who has less NCAA wins than Jim Crews.

Back into exile. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Just so I know when to come back to the board....when are we allowed to be critical of the team and when do the excuses stop? Just let me know how many more years we have to give Ford before we are allowed to criticize him so I know when to log back in. I want to make sure I follow this board's rules of not being mean to a guy who has less NCAA wins than Jim Crews.

Back into exile. Thanks.

I'm kind of on board with this, although it's a little more pessimistic than I feel currently. What the hell are we talking about trying hard? It's division one college basketball. Trying hard doesn't matter if you don't win. I'm certainly not ready to throw in the towel on Travis Ford and anyone suggesting such a thing is overreacting but it's time to turn a corner next season.

TheChosenOne likes this

If you think this season was anything other than a massive disappointment then we just have different expectations for the program. That's about all I can say about it. Travis Ford played a huge role in that disappointment. Injuries and Situation II (to a smaller extent) also played a role. 

4 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If you think this season was anything other than a massive disappointment then we just have different expectations for the program. That's about all I can say about it. Travis Ford played a huge role in that disappointment. Injuries and Situation II (to a smaller extent) also played a role. 

What I don't understand is that Ford played a huge role in overachieving last year. It felt like he coached his a$$ off.

AGB91 likes this

The big let down was breed in the off season over hype.  People over indulged in the blue koolaid.  I know the national media helped in this regard.  Wiley and TI were in the top 10 in some publications of GT transfers.  Wiley was hurt so we lost that production and TI was inconsistent until late.  The loss of Gordon hurt more than some thought.  The lesson here is we had a better record and his recruiting seems on a good pace.  I have always been a wait and prove before you get too over optimistic.  Basically Ford really only had Thatch and an inconsistent TI over last year also too many injuries,  People may have underestimated Roby's graduation impact.

dlarry likes this

the big difference in the last two months is whatever bess has injurywise.   nothing else.   pre conference play he was the best player in the Atlantic 10.   now he is just a shadow of that player and no one has replaced that production offensively and defensively.   

dlarry likes this

15 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the big difference in the last two months is whatever bess has injurywise.   nothing else.   pre conference play he was the best player in the Atlantic 10.   now he is just a shadow of that player and no one has replaced that production offensively and defensively.   

I wish knowing the outcome we could have sat Bess for the bonnies game and gave him the 8 days off.  Not sure if that would even do anything but a double bye means nothing if he still cant walk.

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wish knowing the outcome we could have sat Bess for the bonnies game and gave him the 8 days off.  Not sure if that would even do anything but a double bye means nothing if he still cant walk.

if rumors are true, rest wont help.  

On 3/9/2019 at 7:01 PM, Bay Area Billiken said:

The issue is not St. Bonaventure.

The issue is at St. Louis U.

Agree. I am certain their is no statistical correlation between size of a school's endowment and the 3 point shooting percentages of its basketball players. 

6 minutes ago, davidnark said:

Agree. I am certain their is no statistical correlation between size of a school's endowment and the 3 point shooting percentages of its basketball players. 

Correct, just looked it up.  Harvard is #1 in endowment, yet only shooting 37% from deep.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:30 AM, wgstl said:

Correct, just looked it up.  Harvard is #1 in endowment, yet only shooting 37% from deep.

It is surprising that no one included WashU in this trend setting, cutting edge study.

Harvard:  Endowment $37.1B, 3 Point Percentage .373;

Stanford:  Endowment $24.8B, 3 Point Percentage .318;

WashU:  Endowment $7.5B, 3 Point Percentage .368;

Cal Berkeley:  Endowment $4.6B, 3 Point Percentage .349

St. Louis U:  Endowment $1.23B, 3 Point Percentage .305.

But there is an exception:

St. Bonaventure:  Endowment  $60M, 3 Point Percentage .322.

It must be that Bona culture that overcomes the affluent and empowered, at least to an extent ...

And, Cal (8-22, 3-15), being the flagship of the University of California system, is shooting 3's better than Stanford.  This must clearly be due to that Berkeley "culture."  While Cal has less Benjamins in its lair than Stanford has "Down on the Farm," Cal has plenty of Benjamins in that lair. The Bear never quits, the Bear never dies.