Barry Hinson

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Brian Barone is getting the SIUE job for at least one year on an interim basis.  He is Tony Barone's kid and played at Marquette about 20 years ago.  He was an assistant at SIUE.  SIUE is keeping Harris's whole staff.  

I guess SIUE has just decided to suck in basketball for the next 3 years.  It is going to be impossible to recruit with only an interim head coach for at least a year. There is no excuse for that program not be better than it is in the OVC. I guess Marty Simmons is making too much as an assistant at Clemson to bring him back.

That's just not going to work. Maybe a local kid who wants to stay at home no matter what, might sign on, but who else would want to come into that situation.

brianstl likes this

3 hours ago, TheBand said:

This is a travesty...the guy has had only four losing seasons in 18 years of coaching....3 of which were due to inheriting the trash dump of a program Chris Lowery left behind. 

He’d be perfect at SIUE to get that program headed in the right direction for the next five years. 

Bizziken and 73Billiken like this

I don't know that it's a travesty ---- and I think a lot of the so-called mid-majors are facing this kind of pressure.  Most don't have the history SIU had when they were one of the ruling mid-majors and that surely intensified things.  But this would be a good reason for any coach at a mid-major to parlay the success run and get the hell out to bigger and better things.    Sure, there are the Bob McKillops, Mark Fews, Phil Martellis and Rick Byrds of the world but not many more.  I would venture its hard enough to run a basketball program let alone be on the blame line for the school's overall operating budget. 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:22 PM, HoosierPal said:

The Cougars have signed one very nice player, 6'8" Jake LaRavia, averaging 18P/7R/4A for Indy powerhouse Lawrence Central.  He shoots 45% from the three and has made Lawrence Central a threat for the State title.  Now will he reconsider that Harris is gone?  He blew up this senior year.

Back on SIUC, former SIU point guard Bryan Mullins, who is the associate head coach at Loyola, is considered a favorite to get the job. 

Mullins ended up getting the job. Maybe they should have waited another week.  Drew would have been a great fit at SIUC.  It probably wouldn't have made all that much of a difference.  The boosters that will be paying the salary wanted Mullins to get the job last season, Mullins probably sells more tickets out of the gate and I don't know if SIUC has the money it would take to hire Drew even on the rebound.  Mullins was a cheap and popular hire.  Hopefully he can turn them around.  Basketball is more fun around here when SIUC is good, too.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don't know if SIUC has the money it would take to hire Drew even on the rebound.  

They don’t.

I was in law school there from 2011-2014. Even in 2011, the financial situation was bad. I heard that the state was millions of dollars behind on the allocation of funds then to SIU. Not that SIU football was a big deal, but the law school had tailgates before games, which were a good time and allowed for some networking opportunities for people in the area. Those suddenly were cancelled the day before the first tailgate one year due to budget issues. Several good professors had to retire the year I graduated because the university changed the pension plan, and they needed to retire to stay under the previous plan.  The lack of a budget in recent years made it worse. 

Mullins surely is a cheap hire. 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:51 PM, VeniceMenace said:

LaRavia sounds like a potential opportunity for TFord then?

Jake LaRavia, Lawrence Central, Senior

The 6-8 LaRavia, who reopened his recruitment from Southern Illinois-Edwardsville after a coaching change, averaged 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.3 steals per game for the 22-win sectional champion Bears. He shot 42.6 percent from the 3-point line (46-for-108) and 81.7 percent (85-for-104) from the free-throw line.

Martelli only got to the Final Four if he bought a ticket. 

Drew may be cheap for a few years if Vandy is subsidizing his pay due to contract.   The family seems to favor private institutions for some reason.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The 6-8 LaRavia, who reopened his recruitment from Southern Illinois-Edwardsville after a coaching change, averaged 17.3 points, 6.8 rebounds, 3.9 assists and 2.3 steals per game for the 22-win sectional champion Bears. He shot 42.6 percent from the 3-point line (46-for-108) and 81.7 percent (85-for-104) from the free-throw line.

-SIU had a kid signed from somewhere in ILL that played against ESL at Highland, one game viewing, he looked good that game, again one game viewing

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Sounds like a kid majerus would recruit and plug into his system. Also, I’m guessing the kid is a gym rat. 

3 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Sounds like a kid majerus would recruit and plug into his system. Also, I’m guessing the kid is a gym rat. 

And a student of the game.

23 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-SIU had a kid signed from somewhere in ILL that played against ESL at Highland, one game viewing, he looked good that game, again one game viewing

That was Chris Payton and he sure did look good at Highland. But, something happened:

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/southern-illinois-recruit-chris-payton-leaves-bhs-basketball-team/article_6856cf9d-73f0-537b-8058-b788da608765.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

18 hours ago, billiCAN said:

Good info...saw also the story where he decommitred from Illinois State, then signed with Southern I’ll....he’s quoted at his signing presser saying, “I feel I can dominate anywhere.” Nice, but it’s teamwork and not domination that leads to wins. Even if he would “dominate” as a freshman college player, it’s not going to be enough vs. stiffer conpetition. Then again I was a lot smarter as a teen than I am now in my 50s...