Barry Hinson

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sports/college/msu/2019/03/08/southern-illinois-basketball-barry-hinson-steps-down-salukis-coach/3059468002/

He then revealed that he made a deal in March 2018 with late SIU Chancellor Carlo Montemagno that if he didn't lead Southern Illinois to the NIT or NCAA Tournament in 2018-19, then he would step down. 

Barry’s results reminds me a lot of Soderberg’s almost good enough and cannot get over the hump to the post season.

Barry is a character I like him but I am glad he was never a coach at SLU.  One of Barry’s comments that always made me laugh was his first season at SIU his players kept falling down during the game and Barry’s comment was he thought there was a sniper in the in the stands.

Time for Barry to ride out his career as an assistant coach.

I hope SIU finds a good coach and will become a quality win for SLU each season.

I know that Hinson has been at SIUC but Missouri State became irrelevant to me when they tried to dictate their schedule with us.  Am I correct that this decision was made by Barry Hinson and his program?  If so, then I glad to see Barry get fired yet again.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I know that Hinson has been at SIUC but Missouri State became irrelevant to me when they tried to dictate their schedule with us.  Am I correct that this decision was made by Barry Hinson and his program?  If so, then I glad to see Barry get fired yet again.

I think you’re incorrect. Barry got fired from Missouri State in 2008. I’m pretty sure the issue where they backed out of the game with us came a few years later. Could have been Cuonzo Martin actually.

Barry always seemed like a good guy, but never impressed me too much as a coach. Because he was liked in St. Louis, people would suggest that SLU should hire him when we had coaching vacancies. Those suggestions always made me want to throw up.

Believe you are right.  I see that we played (and lost) to MO State in 2010 and RM was our Coach.  That year, though, was the last year for Martin at MO State.  Paul Lusk then took over from 2011 to 2018 so Lusk must be the tool I am think about.

5 hours ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Barry always seemed like a good guy, but never impressed me too much as a coach. Because he was liked in St. Louis, people would suggest that SLU should hire him when we had coaching vacancies. Those suggestions always made me want to throw up.

He’s like a mini-Spoon without the coaching ability. 

8 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Believe you are right.  I see that we played (and lost) to MO State in 2010 and RM was our Coach.  That year, though, was the last year for Martin at MO State.  Paul Lusk then took over from 2011 to 2018 so Lusk must be the tool I am think about.

-my understanding is that it was the SMSU AD that botched the game/agreement and I too don't care to play them again

I've always liked Coach Hinson and wish he'd found a little more success at SIU-C. He certainly pours his heart into each game. 

I hope he sticks around the regional basketball scene - something like coaching in the other Valley - SIUE or SEMO. 

8 minutes ago, Compton said:

I've always liked Coach Hinson and wish he'd found a little more success at SIU-C. He certainly pours his heart into each game. 

I hope he sticks around the regional basketball scene - something like coaching in the other Valley - SIUE or SEMO. 

He would be a good pick up for SIUE who ought to be in the market for a new coach.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Didn't want to start a new thread, but SIUE let Harris go today.  Man that is a tough place to win.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/jon-harris-fired-as-basketball-coach-at-siu-edwardsville/article_ecf3d8ef-0443-55ed-b6ce-29fe67518cf9.html

Yeah and Harris is from Edwardsville. Other programs there have done well nationally vs D1 competition in the past — soccer, tennis, softball. It could happen someday in hoops.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Yeah and Harris is from Edwardsville. Other programs there have done well nationally vs D1 competition in the past — soccer, tennis, softball. It could happen someday in hoops.

The Cougars have signed one very nice player, 6'8" Jake LaRavia, averaging 18P/7R/4A for Indy powerhouse Lawrence Central.  He shoots 45% from the three and has made Lawrence Central a threat for the State title.  Now will he reconsider that Harris is gone?  He blew up this senior year.

Back on SIUC, former SIU point guard Bryan Mullins, who is the associate head coach at Loyola, is considered a favorite to get the job. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The Cougars have signed one very nice player, 6'8" Jake LaRavia, averaging 18P/7R/4A for Indy powerhouse Lawrence Central.  He shoots 45% from the three and has made Lawrence Central a threat for the State title.  Now will he reconsider that Harris is gone?  He blew up this senior year.

Back on SIUC, former SIU point guard Bryan Mullins, who is the associate head coach at Loyola, is considered a favorite to get the job. 

LaRavia sounds like a potential opportunity for TFord then?

There are some in Oklahoma who think Barry Hinson might run for governor. He started out in Oklahoma as a high school coach and coached at Oral Roberts in Tulsa. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschools/guerin-emig-barry-hinson-once-thought-he-might-run-for/article_ba6fdf17-faae-54cf-8fb9-99ddfe02236c.html

2 hours ago, bbtds said:

There are some in Oklahoma who think Barry Hinson might run for governor. He started out in Oklahoma as a high school coach and coached at Oral Roberts in Tulsa. 

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschools/guerin-emig-barry-hinson-once-thought-he-might-run-for/article_ba6fdf17-faae-54cf-8fb9-99ddfe02236c.html

I pretty sure he has been living in IL the past few years.  Now I don't know what the OK law requires for you have live in the state before you can run for office but he won't be doing so in the near future.

On 3/14/2019 at 12:23 PM, cheeseman said:

I pretty sure he has been living in IL the past few years.  Now I don't know what the OK law requires for you have live in the state before you can run for office but he won't be doing so in the near future.

To be eligible to hold the office of Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Comptroller or Treasurer, a person must be a United States citizen, at least 25 years old, and a resident of Oklahoma for the three years preceding his election.

Oklahoma elects governors in the midterm elections, that is, even years that are not presidential election years. For Oklahoma, 2018, 2022, 2026, 2030 and 2034 are all gubernatorial election years.

So Barry could move back to Oklahoma before November 2019 since he quit as SIU's head coach and become governor of Oklahoma. 

On 3/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, HoosierPal said:

Didn't want to start a new thread, but SIUE let Harris go today.  Man that is a tough place to win.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/jon-harris-fired-as-basketball-coach-at-siu-edwardsville/article_ecf3d8ef-0443-55ed-b6ce-29fe67518cf9.html

Brian Barone is getting the SIUE job for at least one year on an interim basis.  He is Tony Barone's kid and played at Marquette about 20 years ago.  He was an assistant at SIUE.  SIUE is keeping Harris's whole staff.  

I guess SIUE has just decided to suck in basketball for the next 3 years.  It is going to be impossible to recruit with only an interim head coach for at least a year. There is no excuse for that program not be better than it is in the OVC. I guess Marty Simmons is making too much as an assistant at Clemson to bring him back.