OT Byrce Drew

Schasz

3 hours ago, courtside said:

This is where I believe you and maybe some others are maybe being a little quick to disagree w/me w/o actually reading what I said or am saying. I’ll try one more time. 

This year’s class and next year’s are good classes. (Crowley already asking for his release). He and his stafd have been in on lots and lots of high level players. If yoy don’t want to listen to me, ask around. Recruiting wasn’t the early issue. However, notice I only used the term recruiting. I have never said in any post in this thread that he was strong in other areas except perceived personal character. This would include the team quitting on him, x’s and o’s, game prep, in game adjustments, player development. 

It’s very common to have a down season or seasons within the first few years of taking a new position. That would be a long list of who’s who of coaches. Vandy lost a lot of players off of his first team that made NCAA’s.  It took Stallings 5 years to make the NCAA’s at Vandy in a different era. The issue and question was long term. Vandy under David Williams hires and keeps long term coaches in many of their sports teams. After James Franklin left in football, future football and hoops hires were going to be types that bought in to Vandy in a way that they were less likely to leave for the big state school or wherever. When Drew was hired, he had previous success, and by many accounts was a strong hire long term. He was not likely the type of hire to jump elsewhere. Derek Mason was the same in football. 

Last year was a turnover rebuilding year common in a new coach’s tenure. No signs of anyone quitting on Drew. Going into this season Vandy was a bubble NCAA projection even with Garland. The question is how good could they be with lots of newcomer transfers, frosh and young roster of one senior, (Joe Toye). It’s a bit risky strategy as Garland and Shittu were one and done candidates. They finished 2nd for a handful of other 5 star players. (Lorenzo Romar anyone...difference being Drew was landing some) Vandy did not have guard depth this year, the most important position in the college game. Many had the idea of getting through a tough injury the rest of the season and still build long term, a guy that qas hoped to have a Stallings like length of tenure. (difference being Stalling tried to leave multiple times) But then the collapse was so bad even under the circumstances that it caused mixed reaction from a patient fan base. 

I just find it very interesting. Somehow that is equated incorrectly to defending Drew at all costs which I don’t. I think Marlow’s post above has a interesting approach to the topic. 

Well, disagree that his classes are so great; average to below average for a SEC school except for the 2018.  The problem is the average recruiting and the coach......way over his head as a coach.  He is a low mid- major coach at best.  Hopefully he goes back to his competence level .......😁

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Schasz said:

Here is the first time I've seen anything about a possible replacement for Drew.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26418771/stackhouse-talks-vanderbilt-sources-say

Vandy’s new AD Malcolm Turner, went to UNC undergrad as of course did Stackhouse. Turner also ran the NBA G League. He is UNC, NBA, and Ivey League connected.  Stackhouse is former coach of the year and G League champ with Toronto. He assisted in both Toronto NBA and now Memphis. He has a strong AAU program in Atlanta. Stack is good at player development. He’d be wise to hire a strong veteran x’s and o’s coach and 2 recruiters.  Would be outside box hire from the outside the box hire AD.  5 of 6 names thrown around by Vandy are African American, and it is said to be a preference if applicable/good fit. 

Rick Byrd retired today from Belmont after 33 years. Vandy could always hire Casey Alexander from Lipscomb, former player and long time assistant at Belmont. He could hire Byrd as a non travel assistant and then hire a couple of strong recruiters. But Alexander may go to Belmont and long time Belmont assistant  Bryan Ayers may go back to his alma mater Lipscomb. Or Ayers may get the Belmont job instead.

Stackhouse has been talked up as the next great nba head coach for a couple years now. Most GMs thought he needed a season or more of seasoning. Seems strange he's going to college when he could have nba HC gig this time next year.