OT Byrce Drew

Schasz

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Anyone remember him? His Vandy team is about to go 0fer in SEC. Not certain all the Vandy faithful are happy with him as HC.

He had an early season ending injury to his 5 star recruit Darius Garland. He played in 4 games plus 2 minutes in the game he was hurt. Even with the knee injury, he likely will be a lottery NBA selection.  No one knows if his presence changes the overall record, but that was a huge blow.   

It’s mixed views from Vandy fans. It’s generally a patient place. Derek Mason was recently extended in football because he has dominated Tennessee while at Vandy, and mixed in a few 6-6 type bowl seasons. Fans are luke warm with Mason the football coach, but like his high character and personality. Fans would like to see a bit more of the previous James Franklin type of on the field football success there.  Vandy likes and wants long term coaches that understand the Vandy mix of athletics and academics. They are lighting it up with many non revenue sports this Spring alone. Baseball is a very deep talented #1 team nationally that will be great a long time. Men’s and womens golf and tennis, even yes bowling. Womens soccer were SEC champs and very good. Many of those programs have long term coaches in place that understand Vandy. 

The recruiting has been very solid so far. Nesmith is good. Next year’s class is very good, and, no one and done types. A solid to strong 2020 class is key. Only Senior this year was Joe Toye.

Zero excuse for the 2nd half of their season results. None. It’s been so bad that yes, Drew has a chance to lose his job under the new AD that did not hire him. Previous popular one (David Williams) retired and sadly passed away the day of his retirement ceremony.  The new AD is much more of a fund raiser, marketing type, type which they need, while also having the elite academic pedigree. 

Drew will likely return, but not 100% guaranteed. But his long leash has been greatly shortened. A season like that would not be a surprise dismissal, even if early in his tenure. I believe he can turn it around and get it going long term with almost annual NCAA’s, 2nd weekends, etc.., and be there a long time.  

7 hours ago, brianstl said:

I doubt anyone at Vandy is all that upset.  As @HoosierPal said they lost Garland.  Plus, their top 3 scorer are all freshmen or sophomores.  They have another strong recruiting class coming in.  They will be much better next season.

While SLU will always be my team, Vandy is my second squad. Though the team will certainly be better next year,  it has been a pretty pathetic season. It was certainly time for Stallings to leave, but he would be doing a much better job with this team. Watching the Dores make you appreciate just how tough this SLU team is.

My nephew went to Vandy. He says while they support their teams they like being the annual underdogs to the big state academic factories. Plus they love the $35-40 mil that the SEC sends them every year. They view themselves like NW and Stanford. Nerds against the Jocks. Still, he says, they really like to put a good BB team every year, but he figures Drew has at least 2 more years in which to get 'er done. 

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Vanderbilt doesn't need a sports program to be successful in recruitment so I am sure the alumni are fine with it. Vandy isn't known for being an SEC powerhouse, but it is leaps and bounds better than every single SEC school academically and in research

Vanderbilt should not be in the SEC. The big 10 would be a better fit. 

9 hours ago, slu72 said:

My nephew went to Vandy. He says while they support their teams they like being the annual underdogs to the big state academic factories. Plus they love the $35-40 mil that the SEC sends them every year. They view themselves like NW and Stanford. Nerds against the Jocks. Still, he says, they really like to put a good BB team every year, but he figures Drew has at least 2 more years in which to get 'er done. 

I look at SLU the way Vandy fans view their team most of our guys graduate and are serious students and athletes.

After the game Wednesday watching those seniors with Pistol’s link and listening to Bob and Earl is great, I am so proud of those young men leaving SLU with a degree.  We get to watch most of our players for 4 years and it is happy and sad when it is over.

Because we are not a basketball factory when we make it to the big dance it is so much fun getting there.

One of the best stories I tell people about SLU basketball is about Jordair Jett, he was the first person in his family to go to college and was a great player that earned a degree from SLU.

Happy Friday 

Vandy is a Southern school in a Southern metro. Big Ten is not a good fit for them. Only other type of fit is a national league with Duke, Stanford, etc...  They were very competitive under James Franklin in football. And basketball is easier for them to be competitive.  There have been numerous articles in the Tennessean, Joe Rexrode, Adam Sparks regarding Vandy’s need for more football spending and stadium upgrades. Their stadium has not been updated since 1981. Lots of pressure being put on admin there. Deservedly so. I expect things to improve dramatically in athletic fund raising under new AD. Previous one was very good but not a networking fund raiser type. Quite a few Vandy fans care and have been outpoken in their disappointment. Vandy played well after the Garland injury this year for a while.  Drew has recruited much better than Stallings, who was well known for not being an elite receuiter. Once classes can be combined they can get it going. Drew would benefit from some staff changes too. 

15 hours ago, courtside said:

It’s mixed views from Vandy fans. It’s generally a patient place. Derek Mason was recently extended in football because he has dominated Tennessee while at Vandy, and mixed in a few 6-6 type bowl seasons. Fans are luke warm with Mason the football coach, but like his high character and personality. Fans would like to see a bit more of the previous James Franklin type of on the field football success there.  Vandy likes and wants long term coaches that understand the Vandy mix of athletics and academics. They are lighting it up with many non revenue sports this Spring alone. Baseball is a very deep talented #1 team nationally that will be great a long time. Men’s and womens golf and tennis, even yes bowling. Womens soccer were SEC champs and very good. Many of those programs have long term coaches in place that understand Vandy. 

The recruiting has been very solid so far. Nesmith is good. Next year’s class is very good, and, no one and done types. A solid to strong 2020 class is key. Only Senior this year was Joe Toye.

Zero excuse for the 2nd half of their season results. None. It’s been so bad that yes, Drew has a chance to lose his job under the new AD that did not hire him. Previous popular one (David Williams) retired and sadly passed away the day of his retirement ceremony.  The new AD is much more of a fund raiser, marketing type, type which they need, while also having the elite academic pedigree. 

Drew will likely return, but not 100% guaranteed. But his long leash has been greatly shortened. A season like that would not be a surprise dismissal, even if early in his tenure. I believe he can turn it around and get it going long term with almost annual NCAA’s, 2nd weekends, etc.., and be there a long time.  

I somehow missed this whole story and that certainly changes things for Drew.  Vandy operated completely different than any other power conference program under Williams.  Turner comes from a totally different kind of background than Williams.  It is probably going to represent a real change in how Vandy Athletics operates going forward.  

David Williams passing is very sad news.  He was one of a kind with a background you just don't see in those kind of positions at the elite universities in this country. How many of the top 25 institutions in this country have a vice chancellor that started out their career in education by spending a decade as a middle school teacher in an inner city school district?

SLU_Lax likes this

I would encourage anyone to read up on David Williams and ask around. Worth the time. Really good man. First black SEC Athletic Director. Hated dressing up but did so when required. Preferred baggy black Vandy track suits at most events. Genuine, kind, smart guy, not a back slapping networking guy. Quiet. But extremely well liked. Big proponent of academics and life experiences for student athletes. Very popular with students and admin alike, and fans. He had some good coaching hires, and on field/court success over 16 years at Vandy. Nicknamed Goldfather by all in Vandy community. Tax law expert.

Malcom Turner was an outside of the box hire. Rhodes scholar finalist. UNC grad, JD/MBA from Harvard. Sports marketing background along with running the NBA G league.  He will likely keep Bryce Drew. Their initial interactions have been positive. Turner’s approach has been to go on a listening and observation tour of all things Vandy. Aggressive approach but it’s too soon. Turner was hired in part to part fund raise for football. The school admin has focused funds and donors to non athletic pursuits much of the time. The losing streak is not acceptable and had Drew and/or Turner been there longer, with less strong recruiting etc...he may have been dismissed.  Drew is the type of coach Vandy seeks, one that can have on and off court success over a long period of time, that won’t leave.  Drew is well liked as a person. He’s recruiting at a higher level than past coaches thus far.  Unique situation. We’ll see. 

SLU_Lax likes this

Let's see, I seem to know a little about Bryce Drew. His dad and my uncle were great friends that worked at the same university. I didn't get to know him that well until I became a die hard fan of Valpo during the 90's and 00's. Homer Drew and Scott Drew also went through some very hard times in the first years at an elevated level in coaching. I don't believe in any way that Bryce will be down for very long. It won't get fixed immediately but it will eventually get fixed if they allow Bryce to continue to coach at Vandy. 

On 3/14/2019 at 5:02 PM, Schasz said:

Several NBA mock drafts predict their 5 star PG Darius Garland as a lottery pick. I believe Drew gets a pass this year.

His dad Winston was a 7 year NBA player, and former star juco transfer at Missouri St. under Charlie Spoonhour in the mid 1980’s. 

Darius grew up in Gary, Indiana going to Drew family basketball camps (nearby Valpo) and his town did not have an AAU team at the time. They befriended people from a Nashville AAU team. Darius played for them and the family decided to move there in about 6th grade or so. Later, Darius even played some AAU ball for.....wait for it.....The St. Louis Eagles/Bradley Beal Elite. Bryce Drew did not have to go far to recruit him. Garland delivered Simi Shittu as an elite power forward recruit. Shittu under performed as a Freshman ans may or may not turn pro this year.  Because of Garland, Vandy was in the final few for a few other top National players including Romeo Langford at Indiana and a few others. 

Unusal situation. He was certain to get a free pass this year but the 2nd half of season was so bad that it is uncertain. 

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

This is just BS from Vandy.  If they do this, Drew should sue the f out of them.

Right!?

What the hell?

”Oh no Bryce, we aren’t firing you, we are just reassigning you. I know it’s your dream to be a basketball coach but our club bowling team really needs a coach.”

3 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

I was always a Ford guy.  But many, if not most on the board, wanted SLU to hire Drew.  Seems the right choice was made.  I knew Ford was a extraordinary recruiter .... and that is the key to success in college basketball. 

What works at the mid-major level doesn't always work at the high major level.  Drew thought he could make the jump.  He was wrong.  Should have stayed at Valpo and become the next Rick Byrd.