GDT Senior Night Dooks

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

the students were pretty much the first to  get out of dodge last night.   very few students left in the stands by the time the ceremony started.  

There were a total of about 10 students there last night

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i was more disappointed at the typical rush to beat the crowd to I64 leaving maybe 2000 people there for the ceremony.   horrible.  bess in particular and all the billiken seniors deserved better.  

They all deserved better Roy but currently this is who we are right now.

I live for the days of a packed house so that it is harder for the folks that leave early to get a ticket.

We live in in Jefferson County Mo. in the middle of nowhere and we leave singing sweet Caroline when the band plays it if we win.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Disappointed in the attendance last night of 6711. Last year's Senior Night drew 8542.

BUT overall season attendance 6890, up from last season's 6235. 

Last years game I’m pretty sure was on a Saturday night against St Bonaventure, who was top in the league. This game was on a Wednesday against Duquesne no one really gets excited for them, but I agree our seniors deserved better.

I know a lot of MBMs were irked by the in-game interview last night but I loved it.  Maybe you have to be a Billiken from that era, but it was a great throwback to 21 years ago.  Back then Larry Hughes was a frosh, Troy Robertson was a soph, and Dan McLaughlin was the skinny little newbie on Fox Sports Midwest who maybe went and did some interviews rinkside at the Kiel Center or in the stands at Busch.  We had Blues captain Chris Pronger courtside along with Bonner, Claggett, and Marcus Allen??!!

I love that Troy Robertson is just as incredulous as me that Justin Tatum's little toddler that we would see around campus is one of the best young stars in the NBA.  I think he just turned 21.

It just had that feeling of a special night.  Who would've thought that Erik Williams and TI would dual each other to put up 40 and 39 respectively?

49 minutes ago, CBFan said:

They all deserved better Roy but currently this is who we are right now.

I live for the days of a packed house so that it is harder for the folks that leave early to get a ticket.

We live in in Jefferson County Mo. in the middle of nowhere and we leave singing sweet Caroline when the band plays it if we win.

I really like what you say CBFan, that is what we do too. That, by the way, is what a fan is or should be like. Bess is a great guy. I wish them all the best.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

That's f-ing weird.  Almost as weird as Darryl Strawberry living in St. Charles.

His wife/girlfriend is from O'Fallon. He did a podcast with Tim McKernan last year as well discussing that along with golf.

http://insidestl.com/the-tim-mckernan-show-ep-50-marcus-allen/2012404

Like someone said, there were only about 10-15 students at the game.  The rest of the folks were all there on free general admission tickets that were given to season ticket holders.  The student section remains an enigma.  It's probably that the students only show up in force when the athletic department bribes them to be there in some way.  Just sad.

TaLBErt likes this

I watched the game tape this afternoon.  Several items that I picked up on:

We didn't have an answer for Williams (duh).  Goodwin got the initial assignment, Thatch had a few possessions on him and Bess took him after the final TV Timeout.  Williams scored on anyone and everyone we put on him.  Of course the same can be said regarding Isabell.

Foreman had another solid game.  That's two in a row for the big man.

Troy Robertson was the analyst.  Danny Mac asked him about the timing of Senior Night.  He said he preferred the ceremony after the game.  Before, you have to rush and then need to refocus quickly. 

Duquesene is young. They start Fr and Soph. The have 1 senior and 2 juniors on the team.  All three are end of the bench players.  Troy said that in conference play, 99.8% of their points scored are from underclassmen.  If the roster stays primarily intact, they will be dynamite next season.  I'm not big on recruiting stars as an indication of future success, but their one LOI is a 3 star shooting guard.

M. Hughes and Weathers are from KC.  I would take either or both of them.  How did Dambrot get them to Pittsburgh?

The interview with Larry Hughes was cool.  I liked Troy's comments about being displaced by Hughes as starting shooting guard.  Troy said Spoon told him after his freshman season that he had penciled in Larry over Troy, and Larry was still in HS.  Troy worked out hard all summer to prove Spoon wrong. First practice Hughes torched him and Troy said, yep, he's the starting Shooting Guard.

And someone already mentioned it, but at Half Time, AD May did say there might be more games at Chaifetz this season. (Questionaires, feelers, what ever you want to call them, for the NIT and other two tourneys are sent out well before the end of the season to possible candidates.  They need to know before the NCAA field is revealed who is interested and available.)

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

That might have been one of the worst school in session student crowds since we’ve moved to Chaifetz. That’s not a knock at slunatic leadership, I really don’t know who to be mad online at 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Same. That was a head scratcher. The battle for student interest begins anew August 2019. 

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I really liked how quickly the ceremony started on Wednesday but another head scratcher, how can the framed jerseys given to the players not have SLU or Saint Louis or the Billiken? strikes me as a big miss

choice between their name (back of the jersey) or slu/billiken (front of the jersey).   

might have been a better option to have a large blown up high quality game action picture of the player concerned framed than the jersey.  

cheeseman and JohnnyJumpUp like this

21 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Like someone said, there were only about 10-15 students at the game.  The rest of the folks were all there on free general admission tickets that were given to season ticket holders.  The student section remains an enigma.  It's probably that the students only show up in force when the athletic department bribes them to be there in some way.  Just sad.

Yeah, senior night and the game on Saturday were both that way with the student section primarily made up of general admission folks. I was out of town for the Davidson game and a couple of the bigger non conference games (Butler and Oregon State) so maybe I missed some of the better showings from the students, but I was shocked when I saw that article about the SLU student section. The interesting this is that I had a number of folks ask me about that article, so it got some good traction. I didn't know how to respond beyond saying that at the games I have been to which was about half of the games, the student section didn't really stand out to me and I remember being fairly disappointed with the lack of students at the Dayton game. I know we often crap on the students, but I would be curious to know why they were non existent the final two games.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-I really liked how quickly the ceremony started on Wednesday but another head scratcher, how can the framed jerseys given to the players not have SLU or Saint Louis or the Billiken? strikes me as a big miss

Yes! The framed jerseys looked like practice jerseys. Considering our current jerseys say SLU on the back, I thought that was weird too. Don't worry our $1.23 billion endowment is still intact.

2 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Yes! The framed jerseys looked like practice jerseys. Considering our current jerseys say SLU on the back, I thought that was weird too. Don't worry our $1.23 billion endowment is still intact.

I think they're just out grey jerseys. I don't think those say SLU on them.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:31 AM, Littlebill said:

What was up there? Was there something else going on on campus?

This was midterms week, next week is spring break.

Classic SLU students never even being able to take a 2 hour break from studying... I used to use games as a way to clear my head after a long day of hitting the books. 

13 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

i dont recall ever seeing the school name on the back of jersey's only the front.   think the famed quote, "college basketball is all about the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back like in the nba"

22 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

55 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yeah, senior night and the game on Saturday were both that way with the student section primarily made up of general admission folks. I was out of town for the Davidson game and a couple of the bigger non conference games (Butler and Oregon State) so maybe I missed some of the better showings from the students, but I was shocked when I saw that article about the SLU student section. The interesting this is that I had a number of folks ask me about that article, so it got some good traction. I didn't know how to respond beyond saying that at the games I have been to which was about half of the games, the student section didn't really stand out to me and I remember being fairly disappointed with the lack of students at the Dayton game. I know we often crap on the students, but I would be curious to know why they were non existent the final two games.

Keep in mind, declining student attendance at college sports events has been a growing national trend for the past decade (save for the blue bloods that are consistently on national television and drawing large crowds). But even those schools are experiencing a decline.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/09/11/colleges-worry-about-future-football-fans-student-attendance-declines

Athletics giving students free food works because, why would any college student turn down a free meal? I personally think it's an effective way to spend their budget funds, and it puts students in the seats. 

25 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i dont recall ever seeing the school name on the back of jersey's only the front.   think the famed quote, "college basketball is all about the name on the front of the jersey not the name on the back like in the nba"

That quote is probably from like 1960, when a quote like that might still be relevant. I've always hated that quote because it's a false choice. Grossly outdated coachspeak.

(But I think he's referring to the "SLU" on the lower back of the jerseys that is created through a texture change, not a color change. See French's jersey below.)

French.jpg

Littlebill likes this

35 minutes ago, Pistol said:

That quote is probably from like 1960, when a quote like that might still be relevant. I've always hated that quote because it's a false choice. Grossly outdated coachspeak.

(But I think he's referring to the "SLU" on the lower back of the jerseys that is created through a texture change, not a color change. See French's jersey below.)

French.jpg

Right.