Atlantic 10 Talk Awards

This is NOT the official A10 Award list, just the publisher of A10 Talk's personal ballot.  He follows the A10 as close as anyone, so his lists have some merit.

https://www.a10talk.com/the-a-10-awards-ballot-who-should-make-the-cut/

A-10 Player of the Year: Jon Axel Gudmundsson

A-10 First Team

Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson

Marcus Evans, VCU

Javon Bess, Saint Louis

Obi Toppin, Dayton

Marcus Santos-Silva, VCU

Jordan Goodwin was Honorable Mention. 

I'd probably switch Charlie Brown from his second team for Santos-Silva, but other than that not much to debate.

I have a problem with putting a one-trick pony on the first team in Toppin.  The kid is athletic yes.  The kid can be exciting yes.  But all he does is dunk.  We shut him down well enough in our two games with him.  Just don't see it.  Charlie Brown is more complete.  I can accept the argument for Santos-Silva but its an argument that in and of itself supports his selection to the al-defensive team.  But first team all-conference?  I don't think so.  VCU has won games where MSS took the night off.  I said a few threads ago that JAG was the POY so no surprise there.  Bess and Evans deserve it IMHO.  Base don what he has on the two team, I'd already move Brown up and Toppin down and then downgrade MSS and go with Stockard all the way up from the third team.  And how do you not put the conference steals leader on the all-defensive team?  And no mention anywhere of Hasahn French?  I would think all defensive but I am sure his FT% killed any hopes of that.

All in all tough calls.  There is a lot of solid players but as the article says no one with any real transcendent star power.

Pistol:  I don't know that answer.  The A10 site doesn't. give any explanation that I can find.  I suspect that an all-tournament team would be named by the work done during the tournament; conversely an all-league team named for the production done during the entire season and not just the conference season.  If you based it on conference alone, maybe a guy like DJ Foreman's shooting percentage in conference last year warrant shim some selection.  Unless someone really lit it up in the Conference season vis-à-vis the OOC and the voters know that, I doubt there is any separation for the two. 

31 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-isn't he hurt?

24 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Pistol:  I don't know that answer.  The A10 site doesn't. give any explanation that I can find.  I suspect that an all-tournament team would be named by the work done during the tournament; conversely an all-league team named for the production done during the entire season and not just the conference season.  If you based it on conference alone, maybe a guy like DJ Foreman's shooting percentage in conference last year warrant shim some selection.  Unless someone really lit it up in the Conference season vis-à-vis the OOC and the voters know that, I doubt there is any separation for the two. 

The reason I ask is that the case is actually stronger for Bess using just his conference performance, even though he's hurt. His average is 15.6 PPG both overall and in the A10, but because of other players' averages moving, he's 10th in overall scoring and 5th in A10 scoring.

Brown is the top scorer in both, Gudmundsson is 2nd overall and 3rd in coference, Grady is 3rd overall but 6th in conference (right behind Bess), Gilyard is top 5 in both but Golden drops out of the top 5 when only accounting for A10 scoring.

I know a lot more than scoring is taken into account, but the point is that the case for a lot of players changes based on how you slice it.

I genuinely don't understand how Charlie Brown can be omitted from A10 Talk's all-conference team. That isn't going to happen. I agree that Gudmundsson should get the nod over Grady, but I wouldn't mind if both get first-team honors. The inclusion of the two VCU players is puzzling. VCU is more about the whole team than individuals; they probably deserve a guy or two on the second or third teams to acknowledge the team, but no one stands out nearly enough for the first team. His team seems to be more about "I really like these guys" than "most productive players".

My first team would be Gudmundsson, Grady, Brown, Bess, and flip a coin between Gilyard and Golden. The other one would go on the second team with Stockard, Langevine, Pipkins, and Evans.

Then some combo of Powell, Cunningham, Toppin, Goodwin, French, Williams, Carry, Powell, Livingson, Kier, Dowtin, Russell, Kimble, Lofton, Osunniyi, and Honor for the third team. A case could be made for any, and a couple could probably be peeled off for the all-defensive team to honor them there instead.

There's a pretty nice list of Rookies, or Newcomers to select five.  Toppin, Lofton, Osunniyi, Honor, Frampton, Brajkovic, Carry and Bynum.

Toppin has been Rook of the Week 6 times, Honor 4, and Carry, Lofton and Bynum each 2 times.

Grady leads the Player of the Week with three selections.  Others with two selections include Brown, Williams, Golden, Bess and Kier.  Jon Axel has one selection along with a bunch of other players.