Mason from da'Couch ......

Taj79

... got to watch live on stream from my daughter's farm in western Maryland.  Great game start to finish including the usual slip this time late .  But as I said in the GDT, this is us, a poor free throw shooting team battling fatigue down the stretch.  And Mason went with all guards to push the pressure and the fouling.  They started extending that game with four minutes to go and it almost worked.  Good to see Javon Greene have an off night.  But the Miller kid will be good.  Nice freshman.  

Jordan Goodwin was great.  He handled the ball well.  He scored.  he rebounded.  He was a monster mismatch as demonstrated by his step-back jumper and just posting the smaller guards down low.  Javon Bess had an offnight shooting but gritted it out.  Isabell had a super, all around game but is still shaky against a press.  I have my usual gripes with the refs as stated in the GDT ....late whistles, bad sight lines and some petty fouls.  But ti worked out.  Another adage proven true ---- Mason spent a lot of energy coming back and eventually fell short.  Seldom-used Hasrtwell tried to be a savior and it almost worked as well.  Thatch contributed.  Wiley contributed.  Even Hankton gets a star for his offensive rebound (needed) and dagger pre-half three.  We were nosediving again until that 5 - 0 run to close out the half.  

It would have been nice had Umass held on at Duquesne.  Equally so if Geedubya had done ditto to the Bunnies.  But as Hoosier pointed out, the opening of the March run has gone as we needed just by us winning. Tuesday, we need VCU to stay its course and win at Mason.  Right now, I don't see any TV on that one.  No ESPN+ either.  Wednesday we have to win and Davidson has to win over the Bunnies.  I don't like the matchup .... Osunniyi, Stockard and Griffin are Bunnie strengths that aim right into the soft underbelly of the Davidson roster.  Osunniyi could be Newcomer of the Year and a huge stud going forward.  Brajkovic is no match.  Stockard and Griffin will easily outdistance Pritchard and Frampton in the paint.  If all that happens, we will have center stage with the Bunnies come next Saturday afternoon.

Just win baby.

billikenbill, Adman and dennis_w like this

Mason knew what to do w/ 4 minutes left and they had fouls to give. Slow us down by getting us to the line ASAP! We lose the clock as an ally, we get out of rhythm, and we miss front ends. A problem all season long. But we did ice this one w/ FTs at the end. Just what we'll have to do in Brooklyn. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Mason knew what to do w/ 4 minutes left and they had fouls to give. Slow us down by getting us to the line ASAP! We lose the clock as an ally, we get out of rhythm, and we miss front ends. A problem all season long. But we did ice this one w/ FTs at the end. Just what we'll have to do in Brooklyn. 

We helped them out with - I believe 3 possessions - where we came down and took ill advised shots with 15-18 seconds left on the clock.  Had run the clock down some more we may have gotten a better shot and at the very least ran time off the clock.  Ford even said in his post game interview with Rammer that the team just stopped thinking at the end and he is not sure why this happens.  Until that point we were shooting something like 38% from the FT line and the last 10-10 got us back to our avg. - who would have thunk that was going to happen.

25 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yeah, and Foreman TO'd on back to back passes that turned into 2 buckets for GM. There are times where Foreman just wants to make my head explode. 

Foreman only had one TO yesterday. DJ played a very nice game. Seven boards, 3 blocks, and some stellar man defense. Unsung hero yesterday. 

GoSluBills and willie like this

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Foreman only had one TO yesterday. DJ played a very nice game. Seven boards, 3 blocks, and some stellar man defense. Unsung hero yesterday. 

I can only have so much criticism for a young man with restricted movement in his hip and bad knees.  That's why he can't get lift and has trouble staying upright on drives.  I know from experience.

David King and HoosierPal like this

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I can only have so much criticism for a young man with restricted movement in his hip and bad knees.  That's why he can't get lift and has trouble staying upright on drives.  I know from experience.

Slightly over ten seconds left to go in the game.  Foreman receives the ball with a free and clear path to the basket.  Fantastic opportunity for a thunder dunk.  His eyes squinted, his body tensed.....and then intelligence and maturity won out.  He pulled back and dribbled out.  RESPECT.

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

He made two bad passes in a row. Some scorer must have missed one of them. 

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

He made two bad passes in a row. Some scorer must have missed one of them. 

Don't think so.  Watch the tape.  I did when I got home.  The first bad pass was from French, the second from Foreman. The scorekeeper got it right.

58 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Slightly over ten seconds left to go in the game.  Foreman receives the ball with a free and clear path to the basket.  Fantastic opportunity for a thunder dunk.  His eyes squinted, his body tensed.....and then intelligence and maturity won out.  He pulled back and dribbled out.  RESPECT.

and coach shouted not to announcers said.

23 minutes ago, almaman said:

and coach shouted not to announcers said.

Heck, I was shouting out “hold up!”, but ultimately the call was Foreman’s.  No doubt Ford would have been all over him if he had made the wrong decision...

Every game has flaws, the refs make the wrong calls, some players decide to get selfish and throw the ball away, etc... The good thing about this game is that we won it despite a strong comeback by GM aimed at our weak point, FT scoring. We did survive that comeback challenge despite all they tried. Good game, could have been much better but it just was not.

I’m in FL & had to watch on NBCSN — the announcers got it right at the 4 minute mark saying SL was playing “not to lose” & it might cost them.  True dat.  What a closeout from the line!

Edited by Major Majerus
Typo