Welcome to SLU Jimmy Bell Jr.!!!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Why?  If Ingvi were good enough, he'd still be a Billiken, but he isn't.  There's little benefit to tying up roster spots with guys who either don't want to be part of the team or aren't good enough (or have a high enough ceiling) to contribute (by the second half of their junior year).

Ingvy had a perforated appendix and survived it, but the experience of having that event so far from home most likely scared him a whole lot and made him very homesick. The family was also very upset about this and added to the emotional content of the mix after flying in from Iceland. By all accounts, his mother was very worried and upset, and rightly so. So, when an opening to play professional basketball in Iceland came by, Ingvy jumped on it.

The truth of the matter is that not a single person in the world can avoid events like accidents and diseases. Another set of factors were that he was skinny and needed to build up muscle, plus he probably was quite debilitated after he survived the appendix perforation. He would likely not have played for the rest of the season, and not unlikely he would have had a questionable chance of playing significant minutes the next season. This was just a pretty negative combination of factors that were part of the Ingvy decision. We will never know what he could or could not have contributed to the Bills, provided he had stayed with the team long enough to be determined.

I agree with you that he was not good enough to play much that first season. I also fully agree that he would have had to wait until his Junior year to have the chance to play a fair amount.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Ingvy had a perforated appendix and survived it, but the experience of having that event so far from home most likely scared him a whole lot and made him very homesick. The family was also very upset about this and added to the emotional content of the mix after flying in from Iceland. By all accounts, his mother was very worried and upset, and rightly so. So, when an opening to play professional basketball in Iceland came by, Ingvy jumped on it.

The truth of the matter is that not a single person in the world can avoid events like accidents and diseases. Another set of factors were that he was skinny and needed to build up muscle, plus he probably was quite debilitated after he survived the appendix perforation. He would likely not have played for the rest of the season, and not unlikely he would have had a questionable chance of playing significant minutes the next season. This was just a pretty negative combination of factors that were part of the Ingvy decision. We will never know what he could or could not have contributed to the Bills, provided he had stayed with the team long enough to be determined.

I agree with you that he was not good enough to play much that first season. I also fully agree that he would have had to wait until his Junior year to have the chance to play a fair amount.

I can say the same of Bells first few games, but crazy that logic wasnt used for Thor or TJ

20 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

I can say the same of Bells first few games, but crazy that logic wasnt used for Thor or TJ

Interesting.  I didn’t realize Bell also had a perforated appendix, was skinny and weak and came from half way around the world.  

dennis_w, wgstl and billikenbill like this

7 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Fact is TJ would be a better asset for us during the conference season if he got a lot more PT and not just cleanup minutes. 

Bell without French is a disaster. 

You should talk to Coach Ford. I’m sure he would appreciate you informing him that he is wrong on how he is handling Hargrove. And while you are at it, tell Coach who to sit so Hargrove can play. He will appreciate your wisdom. 

almaman and moytoy12 like this

15 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Fact is TJ would be a better asset for us during the conference season if he got a lot more PT and not just cleanup minutes. 

Bell without French is a disaster. 

Even though Bell was instrumental in keeping the Bills in the game when French was out during the first half against Boston College?  You type like Mike Shannon talks!

moytoy12 likes this

Was in Phoenix and off the net for all but the BC game ...................

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and the missus CB ...... my question to you was to  try and understand your association between us and UD.  Right now, UD is getting one vote in the Top 25 and has indeed turned heads, at least amongst us A10 watchers.  They influxed a decdent A10 lineup with four pretty big transfers but Tshimanga and Johnson have yet to contribute.  What I see is a man amongst boys in Obi Toppin.  He's done after this year.  And we recruited him!  Too bad he's at SVU.  But I can seethe association of our roster vis-a-vis theirs.  So thanks for the clarification.  

dennis --- what were Jimmy Bell's expectations that he has now exceeded?  I'll give him plusses on FT shooting and playing five minute stretches but what am I missing?  He was nothing more than a project and remains so as I see it.  Not a knock on the kid and there are other attributes of his I like (mental toughness) but I am not so quick to say he's exceeded expectations.  Yes, his contributions against BC kept us in that game but i don't recall ---- did he play at all in the big second half run?  He's a keeper but there needs to be more night in and night out, that's all.  I will watch with great interest (as usual) today against SIU.  I also don't think our current style of play plays well into JBJ's skill set right now.Cyril Langevine, Obi Toppin, Marcos Santos-Silva, Grant Golden, Michael Hughes and Osun Osunniyi will all be huge tests for our lone big man.

7 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you and the missus CB ...... my question to you was to  try and understand your association between us and UD.  Right now, UD is getting one vote in the Top 25 and has indeed turned heads, at least amongst us A10 watchers.  They influxed a decdent A10 lineup with four pretty big transfers but Tshimanga and Johnson have yet to contribute.  What I see is a man amongst boys in Obi Toppin.  He's done after this year.  And we recruited him!  Too bad he's at SVU.  But I can seethe association of our roster vis-a-vis theirs.  So thanks for the clarification.  

dennis --- what were Jimmy Bell's expectations that he has now exceeded?  I'll give him plusses on FT shooting and playing five minute stretches but what am I missing?  He was nothing more than a project and remains so as I see it.  Not a knock on the kid and there are other attributes of his I like (mental toughness) but I am not so quick to say he's exceeded expectations.  Yes, his contributions against BC kept us in that game but i don't recall ---- did he play at all in the big second half run?  He's a keeper but there needs to be more night in and night out, that's all.  I will watch with great interest (as usual) today against SIU.  I also don't think our current style of play plays well into JBJ's skill set right now.Cyril Langevine, Obi Toppin, Marcos Santos-Silva, Grant Golden, Michael Hughes and Osun Osunniyi will all be huge tests for our lone big man.

You make some reasonable points here and I don’t mean this as a criticism, but I think you have to count Hasahn French as a “big man”. Sure, he’s only 6’6” - 6’7”, but he rebounds against big men, defends big men, can post up against big men, etc. Let me know if you disagree, but I actually think he’s a pretty similar to Marcos Santos-Silva in many facets.

23 minutes ago, NH said:

You make some reasonable points here and I don’t mean this as a criticism, but I think you have to count Hasahn French as a “big man”. Sure, he’s only 6’6” - 6’7”, but he rebounds against big men, defends big men, can post up against big men, etc. Let me know if you disagree, but I actually think he’s a pretty similar to Marcos Santos-Silva in many facets.

You know who French reminds me including the poor free throw shooting? Ben Wallace. Now, I am not saying he is another Ben Wallace, but their are many similarities. 

NextYearBill likes this

56 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

your take on him was that he would ride the pine, he certainly has exceeded your expectations. no one thought he would be a starter before the season but coach ford has him starting, thus he has exceeded most fans expectations. he is not a polished five, and nobody has said as much he is giving the team some solid minutes and will likely get better

Taj.  I don't recall your predictions for Bell but I do remember many said he would not play this year, that he was a project and would not get off the bench, that he was still too heavy to play D1 basketball, etc.  In short, I think many thought that Bell would get the same minutes which Diarra is getting .  that it would be French and 4 guards. 

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

taj, i contend that my expectations were zero for jimmy bell.   i was always excited for the project as the chance to develop a man child with the godgiven attributes of jimmy bell was exciting.  but i honestly didnt expect any game time contributions this season as it was obvious his body was still a work in progress.   that body work continues and still needs significant build yet, but he has indeed seemed to serve a purpose for double digit meaningful minutes.   one has to believe over the next three years considering the work ethic jimmy has shown thus far, could result in the best pure center that saint louis university has ever seen.   

sure he isnt in the tier of "need to perform" that french and goodwin are currently.  and he is not even in the next group with yuri, jacobs, jimmerson.   but i say we need that 10-15 minutes of jimmytime every game.   

41 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Taj.  I don't recall your predictions for Bell but I do remember many said he would not play this year, that he was a project and would not get off the bench, that he was still too heavy to play D1 basketball, etc.  In short, I think many thought that Bell would get the same minutes which Diarra is getting .  that it would be French and 4 guards. 

I was expecting a 10 min a game backup and Vouyoukas-like freshmen numbers. So far he's a "starter" that plays 12 min a game and rebounds better than Vouyoukas. Slightly exceeding expectations so far.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I was expecting a 10 min a game backup and Vouyoukas-like freshmen numbers. So far he's a "starter" that plays 12 min a game and rebounds better than Vouyoukas. Slightly exceeding expectations so far.

Man, IV was really an uncoordinated slug his freshman year.  Bell is definitely ahead of the freshman year version of IV. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

You know who French reminds me including the poor free throw shooting? Ben Wallace. Now, I am not saying he is another Ben Wallace, but their are many similarities. 

That’s a great comparison.  I’ve always thought of him like Kenneth Faried, but your comparison is much more accurate.