Welcome to SLU Jimmy Bell Jr.!!!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, bauman said:

Unless TF is able to get a couple of Blue Chips in the next recruiting cycle, I would change your "next few years" to" next year."  Losing HF, JG and even Perkins after next year can be a killer.  The only addition to the team after next year is a mid-level recruit plus whoever TF gets in the 20-21 class.  Yes, I expect big things from Jimerson, YC and some contributions from TH Jr and JB Jr, but I don't see a HF or JG on the roster and expecting a FR in the 20-21 recruiting class to be even a young HF or JG is quite an expectation.  Assuming all current players return, that means we will have YC, GJ, JB Jr, MD, TH Jr, FT Jr, DJ, Strickland and KCH giving us 4 potential 20-21 scholarships.  That number could be reduced by one if we sign a non-grad transfer with the current vacant scholarship.

My point is, with 3 or 4 potential additions to the team after French, Goodwin and Perkins leave, don't expect those 3 or 4 new players to come even close to replacing what the departing seniors will have contributed in their final years as Bills.

A 2020 big like Donte Houston is so important to land.  Based on his description on the 2020 recruitment thread Houston appears to be a player that could move into French’s role.  Like French Houston could be an underrated player we could get.

Replacing Goodwin is another thing, how do you replace a guard that can rebound like a big?

I agree going beyond next seasons team until the 2020 and 2021 recruiting is complete it is concerning especially with the players our team loses.

After this season is complete it will be a long I cannot wait for the 2020/2021 season to start.  We should be where UD is  right now.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

A 2020 big like Donte Houston is so important to land.  Based on his description on the 2020 recruitment thread Houston appears to be a player that could move into French’s role.  Like French Houston could be an underrated player we could get.

Replacing Goodwin is another thing, how do you replace a guard that can rebound like a big?

I agree going beyond next seasons team until the 2020 and 2021 recruiting is complete it is concerning especially with the players our team loses.

After this season is complete it will be a long I cannot wait for the 2020/2021 season to start.  We should be where UD is  right now.

You don't.  Instead the team's style of play will be more traditional, where our best perimeter/free throw shooters lead the team in scoring.

What Bauman is saying is why it is so important to stack recruiting classes.  It hurt only having 2 schollies available this year - it makes who you get so much more important since you can not miss on either one.  If Ford can use this last schollie to hit a home run then we will be alright after next year but that get is critical.  He has his work cut out for him unless he wants to lose the momentum he has going now.  Of course as many have pointed out before there could be a transfer and that would give Ford a chance stack.

Both JGood and French are going to be hard to replace. Not impossible but hard. Maybe if we get a nice run going this year, say make the NIT, and then next year in the dance it will improve our chances. But, of course, there's always the transfer portal and we've cracked the JUCO bubble. I do think this is why it's important we keep Hargrove in the fold. Hopefully, he's seeing the need for his development, makes progress, and can contribute come January thru March. 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Wondering ...... Why should we be where UD is now?

How I see it for 2020/2021 season that SLU will be at the UD level is experience and depth. 
In coach Ford I trust so he will sign a big like Houston or find a good big the grad transfer route.  Good GT bigs will see this as a deep tournament team in need of a big.

In 2020/2021 Bell and Diarra will have a year of experience and another offseason of conditioning.  I believe Bell will be our starting center again next season.  The rest of the team will also be another year experienced, Hargrove will be unleashed and he will create havoc for our opponents.  Our seniors who are good players will lead our talented deep team to compete with anyone just like UD is right now.

My feeling Taj is that our team lacks 1 big and experience this season to be as good as UD but next season I see our team as a dominant sweet 16 team.  I like our team and has done well the first 7 games.

I hope you had a good thanksgiving.

46 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Both JGood and French are going to be hard to replace. Not impossible but hard. Maybe if we get a nice run going this year, say make the NIT, and then next year in the dance it will improve our chances. But, of course, there's always the transfer portal and we've cracked the JUCO bubble. I do think this is why it's important we keep Hargrove in the fold. Hopefully, he's seeing the need for his development, makes progress, and can contribute come January thru March. 

My expectations will be higher than the NIT if we beat Kansas State.

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

My expectations will be higher than the NIT if we beat Kansas State.

Depends on how KState does from here on out. They are currently 75 th in the Kenpom. That isn't going to draw a lot of ooohs and aahs from the selection committee. We have to keep in mind if this Sunday were selection Sunday, there'd be only 2 teams in the dance. UD and VCU. Now, of course, it's a long season and a lot of things can happen. But as of right now we don't have a tourney resume. Talk to me if we take down Auburn, definitely an eye opening win, and KState, and don't get nailed in a trap game. In fact if all that happened, I'd expect we'd be in the also receiving votes section of the top 25 prior to conference play. Still, no gimme to make the dance, because there's still conference play to get through, and I do think for this team conference play is going to be a tough gauntlet to run thru. 

49 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Depends on how KState does from here on out. They are currently 75 th in the Kenpom. That isn't going to draw a lot of ooohs and aahs from the selection committee. We have to keep in mind if this Sunday were selection Sunday, there'd be only 2 teams in the dance. UD and VCU. Now, of course, it's a long season and a lot of things can happen. But as of right now we don't have a tourney resume. Talk to me if we take down Auburn, definitely an eye opening win, and KState, and don't get nailed in a trap game. In fact if all that happened, I'd expect we'd be in the also receiving votes section of the top 25 prior to conference play. Still, no gimme to make the dance, because there's still conference play to get through, and I do think for this team conference play is going to be a tough gauntlet to run thru. 

I agree that is a fair analysis however a K-State win is not a win I thought our team would win so if we pull that off my expectations will be higher.  I believe if K-State was in the A10 they would be one of the top 4 teams.  K-State won the Big 12 last season, have played in the Big dance the last few seasons so I will not be surprised if Weber can coach his team in again.

I love our team but just like Seton Hall I do not think we are ready to make that jump of beating Auburn however next season I see us doing that.

Even though I complain about Yuri’s turnovers and free throw shooting I have got Yurimania he is a freshman and is learning.  Every game Yuri plays there is potential for 8 to 10 assists and that will allow our team to win games that we are not favored.

12 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I agree that is a fair analysis however a K-State win is not a win I thought our team would win so if we pull that off my expectations will be higher.  I believe if K-State was in the A10 they would be one of the top 4 teams.  K-State won the Big 12 last season, have played in the Big dance the last few seasons so I will not be surprised if Weber can coach his team in again.

I love our team but just like Seton Hall I do not think we are ready to make that jump of beating Auburn however next season I see us doing that.

Even though I complain about Yuri’s turnovers and free throw shooting I have got Yurimania he is a freshman and is learning.  Every game Yuri plays there is potential for 8 to 10 assists and that will allow our team to win games that we are not favored.

As for beating Auburn, very few thought E'ville or SFA would beat the number 1 team at the time. Anything's possible in the wild and whacky world of college hoops. 

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

What many seem to forget is that getting to the Dance in French and Goodwin's senior seasons will be of no value in replacing them the next year.  All the recruiting for the team the year after they depart will be over before we would get to the NCAA.

Non-exhaustive list of players Travis has brought in during just the last 3 years:

Jalen Johnson

Adonys Henriquez

DJ Foreman

Javon Bess

Jordan Goodwin

Hasahn French

Carteare Gordon

Fred Thatch

Ty Graves

Luis Santos

Tramaine Isabell

Dion Wiley

Yuri Collins

Gibson Jimmerson

Javonte Perkins

TJ Hargrove

My point with those names is that we’ve had no trouble bringing in high quality guys. The key is that we develop and retain those players. If we avoid major off-the-court issues and important players don’t transfer away, Travis and staff will have a team talented enough for us to compete for the foreseeable future.

38 minutes ago, NH said:

My point with those names is that we’ve had no trouble bringing in high quality guys. The key is that we develop and retain those players. If we avoid major off-the-court issues and important players don’t transfer away, Travis and staff will have a team talented enough for us to compete for the foreseeable future.

Wish we had a sophomore Thor and Gibson on the court at the same time

5 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Wish we had a sophomore Thor and Gibson on the court at the same time

Why?  If Ingvi were good enough, he'd still be a Billiken, but he isn't.  There's little benefit to tying up roster spots with guys who either don't want to be part of the team or aren't good enough (or have a high enough ceiling) to contribute (by the second half of their junior year).

16 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Why?  If Ingvi were good enough, he'd still be a Billiken, but he isn't.  There's little benefit to tying up roster spots with guys who either don't want to be part of the team or aren't good enough (or have a high enough ceiling) to contribute (by the second half of their junior year).

Am I misreading something or is this topic about keeping and developing players?