Welcome to SLU Jimmy Bell Jr.!!!

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

That's a reasonable expectation. He's coming off the bench for a loaded prep team and still needs to lose some weight. Bell's an investment in the future not a solution for next year.

At this point French needs some one who can spell him.  Bell can at least be a big body clogging the lane.  I think in that regard he can be a part of a solution for next year.  

Billiken Rich likes this

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

At this point French needs some one who can spell him.  Bell can at least be a big body clogging the lane.  I think in that regard he can be a part of a solution for next year.  

Coach Ford isn't done with recruiting bigs yet. There could be as many as two more on the way per his radio interview. If one of those is a grad transfer, there's your big body to spell French.

After Carlos McCauley and Jeremy Biles and their track records, I knew Thatch would hit the ground running, and he has done a great job on D and given us unexpected O at times.

We have not missed with a player out of that region in 30 years. That conference is like Peoria...nails.

Want to hear from Jimmy Bell?

Check out our latest podcast. Interview with Jimmy bell starts at 27:45 in the show. Check it Out down below:

Episode 16:
- George Mason recap
- Duquesne preview
- Interview with new commit Jimmy Bell Jr.
- Women's Hoops
- And more

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/17225182

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755?mt=2&i=1000431090147

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6lu4QGv0vdvIuKwEFNxvbY?si=xBv-cDQcSY6MkvWmY9htKw

johnbj14, BuiltFordBills and NH like this

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach Ford isn't done with recruiting bigs yet. There could be as many as two more on the way per his radio interview. If one of those is a grad transfer, there's your big body to spell French.

I can only comment on what we have not what may or may not be here.  I hope you are right.

2 hours ago, NH said:

All this post tells me is that you are unable to come anywhere close to setting reasonable expectations for freshman. You’re not alone, sure, but I think if you polled 100 Billiken fans 90+ of them would say Thatch has met expectations. 

I agree with the reasonable expectations part. Considering the freshman years we’ve seen from Thatch, Goodwin and French vs past freshman Billiken performance in other eras, I’d say Ford has a great track record so far.

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo it was apparent on billiken madness night that while jacobs exhibited outstanding athleticism, thatch was further along basketballwise.   throughout the year, i felt when jacobs got an opportunity he was tenative.  thatch on the other hand came into games as though he deserved it and expected it.   i.e. the big difference of these two players is mental.   i dont know how you turn on that switch.   hopefully ford figures it out by september. 

I disagree in that I think that Thatch appears more athletic than Jacobs.  He's also more aggressive, a better defender, better rebounder and better shot blocker.  The difference is more than just mental.  Jacobs may show us that he's a better ball handler and better shooter, but the evidence thus far does not agree with those propositions.  Thatch has shown us a shooting touch, not consistently, but its there, and Jacobs hasn't.  Neither has shown great handles.  In fact, Jacobs has been a turnover machine in this limited time.

I hope Jacobs sticks around, but he's going to have to show us, I should say the coaches, a lot more before he warrants himself any playing time.

5 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I disagree in that I think that Thatch appears more athletic than Jacobs.  He's also more aggressive, a better defender, better rebounder and better shot blocker.  The difference is more than just mental.  Jacobs may show us that he's a better ball handler and better shooter, but the evidence thus far does not agree with those propositions.  Thatch has shown us a shooting touch, not consistently, but its there, and Jacobs hasn't.  Neither has shown great handles.  In fact, Jacobs has been a turnover machine in this limited time.

I hope Jacobs sticks around, but he's going to have to show us, I should say the coaches, a lot more before he warrants himself any playing time.

either you werent there or you werent paying attention on madness night during the dunk contest.   

your statement, " He's also more aggressive, a better defender, better rebounder and better shot blocker" pretty much backs up my thatch is a better basketball player.   but if the two were in a track meet, while thatch wouldnt be embarrassed, i think jacobs would win most events.  

Littlebill likes this

16 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I sure hope everyone is right about Jimerson - an elite shooter.  And I am huge fan of Thatch.   With that said, we seem to be placing alot of pressure and expectations on Jimerson.  To me, the entire key to next season will be Jimerson.  If he can shoot, then pressure is taken off of Goodwin, Thatch  and Yuri.  So unless Ford recruits another PG who can shoot, we will go into next season knowing that our PG will likely not score from the perimeter -- which then places and even bigger burden on our 2 and 3.

This made me laugh.

gobillsgo and White Pelican like this

2 hours ago, The House That Rick Built said:

Want to hear from Jimmy Bell?

Check out our latest podcast. Interview with Jimmy bell starts at 27:45 in the show. Check it Out down below:

Episode 16:
- George Mason recap
- Duquesne preview
- Interview with new commit Jimmy Bell Jr.
- Women's Hoops
- And more

https://www.spreaker.com/episode/17225182

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-that-rick-built/id1450098755?mt=2&i=1000431090147

https://open.spotify.com/episode/6lu4QGv0vdvIuKwEFNxvbY?si=xBv-cDQcSY6MkvWmY9htKw

Nice work getting a JBJr interview.  You guys are killing it.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

either you werent there or you werent paying attention on madness night during the dunk contest.   

your statement, " He's also more aggressive, a better defender, better rebounder and better shot blocker" pretty much backs up my thatch is a better basketball player.   but if the two were in a track meet, while thatch wouldnt be embarrassed, i think jacobs would win most events.  

And I've seen Jacobs do a 360 dunk in a game. He's a high flier who does most of his work around the basket. 

We don't play fast enough to take advantage of his athletic abilities.  Jacobs will to have to develop more of a mid range game to be effective in a Billiken uniform. Hargrove plays a similar game but has the advantage of being 5 inches taller. 

EssEllYou likes this

9 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Then its a good think for Thatch that he plays basketball and isn't competing in track events with Jacobs.  I was not a madness night.  So, I didn't see what you are referring too.  I do know, thought, that some of the best dunkers in the country have never sniffed the NBA or major college basketball.  I'd rather a guy look good during games than during a dunk contest.

16 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I sure hope everyone is right about Jimerson - an elite shooter.  And I am huge fan of Thatch.   With that said, we seem to be placing alot of pressure and expectations on Jimerson.  To me, the entire key to next season will be Jimerson.  If he can shoot, then pressure is taken off of Goodwin, Thatch  and Yuri.  So unless Ford recruits another PG who can shoot, we will go into next season knowing that our PG will likely not score from the perimeter -- which then places and even bigger burden on our 2 and 3.

clock have you seen the point guard at michigan?   simpson is maybe the reason they are as good as they are.   however shoots under 30% from the 3.    goodwin and collins will be fine running things from the outside.  

42 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

Some have said Bell is gonna be a project. Other than the obvious freshmen transitions that all have to experience, is there some glaring issue that singles him out as a project?  Just curious. 

he's still overweight.   getting close, but has lbs and fitness work to do.   also doesnt appear to still totally understand the physical way to play the lane (see hasan french).   but you cant teach size/height.  very worthy project.   and considering the fine work seen already from our training staff and knowing the efforts jimmy bell has put in to get this far, this all seems like it will happen.  

EssEllYou, dennis_w and Zink like this

On 3/5/2019 at 2:08 PM, billiken_roy said:

clock have you seen the point guard at michigan?   simpson is maybe the reason they are as good as they are.   however shoots under 30% from the 3.    goodwin and collins will be fine running things from the outside.  

The Sparty PG is a much better player. I'm always impressed with his game whenever I watch him play. 

On 3/4/2019 at 9:17 AM, Taj79 said:

Name me one SLU freshman who has lived up to the hype outside of Larry Hughes?

Kevin Lisch.  Smoking hot sister.  Willing and able defender.  Consistent shooter, big minutes and reliable performance from day one.  Smoking hot sister.

31 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Kevin Lisch.  Smoking hot sister.  Willing and able defender.  Consistent shooter, big minutes and reliable performance from day one.  Smoking hot sister.

Agree on both KL and the sister.  She could also play the sport. I’m surprised her name never surfaces in the “who is better” Harbison/Kempf conversation....

25 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Agree on both KL and the sister.  She could also play the sport. I’m surprised her name never surfaces in the “who is better” Harbison/Kempf conversation....

Sh*t if Frantz hadn’t had Kempf and Harbison we’d be taking about her in the best ever category 

• 8 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 8:34 AM, dennis_w said:

I want to drink some blue kool-aid today, so i am going to say that bell will get some meaningful minutes. I tip my cap to anyone who works hard enough to lose 90 lbs and i think he will continue to improve until next october. May be wishful thinking on my part, but i like his film now and i think it will only get better

looking back at an old post, didnt know at the time he would be THE LOCOMOTIVE , but here he is. this team is going to be a lot of fun to watch for the next few years

11 hours ago, dennis_w said:

looking back at an old post, didnt know at the time he would be THE LOCOMOTIVE , but here he is. this team is going to be a lot of fun to watch for the next few years

Unless TF is able to get a couple of Blue Chips in the next recruiting cycle, I would change your "next few years" to" next year."  Losing HF, JG and even Perkins after next year can be a killer.  The only addition to the team after next year is a mid-level recruit plus whoever TF gets in the 20-21 class.  Yes, I expect big things from Jimerson, YC and some contributions from TH Jr and JB Jr, but I don't see a HF or JG on the roster and expecting a FR in the 20-21 recruiting class to be even a young HF or JG is quite an expectation.  Assuming all current players return, that means we will have YC, GJ, JB Jr, MD, TH Jr, FT Jr, DJ, Strickland and KCH giving us 4 potential 20-21 scholarships.  That number could be reduced by one if we sign a non-grad transfer with the current vacant scholarship.

My point is, with 3 or 4 potential additions to the team after French, Goodwin and Perkins leave, don't expect those 3 or 4 new players to come even close to replacing what the departing seniors will have contributed in their final years as Bills.

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Unless TF is able to get a couple of Blue Chips in the next recruiting cycle, I would change your "next few years" to" next year."  Losing HF, JG and even Perkins after next year can be a killer.  The only addition to the team after next year is a mid-level recruit plus whoever TF gets in the 20-21 class.  Yes, I expect big things from Jimerson, YC and some contributions from TH Jr and JB Jr, but I don't see a HF or JG on the roster and expecting a FR in the 20-21 recruiting class to be even a young HF or JG is quite an expectation.  Assuming all current players return, that means we will have YC, GJ, JB Jr, MD, TH Jr, FT Jr, DJ, Strickland and KCH giving us 4 potential 20-21 scholarships.  That number could be reduced by one if we sign a non-grad transfer with the current vacant scholarship.

My point is, with 3 or 4 potential additions to the team after French, Goodwin and Perkins leave, don't expect those 3 or 4 new players to come even close to replacing what the departing seniors will have contributed in their final years as Bills.

Don't overlook that the current group besides the graduating Sr's will continue to improve. 

Old guy likes this