Welcome to SLU Jimmy Bell Jr.!!!

12 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’ll go to my grave beating this dead horse, but I wish we could’ve seen what Ingvi could do with some actual time on the court. I trust Ford’s judgement, though. Small sample size, but I like KCH’s stroke from outside. Could certainly be useful as long as he isn’t a liability on D. 

Forget about him.  Ingvi's lack of time on the court was all on him.  Late signee, out of game playing shape, ill, injured, a weak Freshman who cannot play defense... what were his expectations?  No patience, bad teammate b/c he quit midseason... glad he's gone. Probably should never have been on team.   If he wanted to be a college student athlete, chances are he would have committed sooner and then gone elsewhere if he didn't like it here at SLU.   I see no signs that he wanted to spend time on an American college campus.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Name me one SLU freshman who has lived up to the hype outside of Larry Hughes? 

funny you bring this up.  One of my most vivid memories of my billiken fandom is a summer billiken club meeting with spoon as hughes was about to become a billiken.   Normally spoon speeches you couldnt take much to the bank on what he said, he would make jokes and spin tales of some game back in 1958 or compare the players in question to some sort of farm animal or a cartoon character.   all the while with that elfish smile.   someone at that meeting asked, "Coach, just how good is Larry Hughes and what can we expect?"   

the only time in history, spoon did not immediately respond.    he did not smile.    after a few seconds, he looked up, looked everyone in the room right in the eyes, and said, "folks, Larry hughes is the best player i will ever coach.   He will do things this year you have never seen a billiken do.   he IS the real deal and will from day one be the best player on the floor every day and night."

the room was in complete silence.   the meeting was pretty much over.   and i left there in a daze.   

he was 100% right.   

12 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Not really the appropriate thread for this but since people keep bringing him up... The hype on Jimmerson already is ridiculous.  Yes, we’ve heard he’s one of the best shooters in the nation. Where else did we hear that?  Anyone remember Ford saying Ingvi is a better shooter than his brother?  And he played what, four minutes this year?

I hope Jimmerson is as good as Jimmer Fredette, but let’s cool it a bit. Our current freshman class was one of the most hyped I had seen on this board, and we have exactly one of them contributing right now. 

Agreed. We'll be lucky if half of the new players can make solid contributions next year, and I hope they can play defense.

26 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’ll go to my grave beating this dead horse, but I wish we could’ve seen what Ingvi could do with some actual time on the court. I trust Ford’s judgement, though. Small sample size, but I like KCH’s stroke from outside. Could certainly be useful as long as he isn’t a liability on D. 

playing time is earned in practice.  everyone plays in practice.  everyone gets their chance.  while none of us saw it, pretty obvious thor didnt earn it.   

as thirsty as this team was for a guard that could shoot and defend and make a difference, if he did the job in practice he would have played.   especially with the college legacy his big brother was giving to the entire conference.   you can bet if ford could have rubbed it in davidson's eye that they didnt grab little brother when they likely had first dibs, he would have.  

39 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Name me one SLU freshman who has lived up to the hype outside of Larry Hughes?  Monroe Douglass had growing pains.  So too Roland Gray.  Anthony Bonner.  Kwamain Mitchell.  Wille Reed.  Brian Conklin and Chris Heinrich as seniors were not the same as they were as freshmen.  Carte'Are Gordon showed promised but left before anything was realized.  Claggs and Hmark had growing pains.  They won 5 games their freshman year.  I too was sucked in with it all this year.  Ford's third year.  carte'Are Goron.  Goodwin and Bess back.  Sooper-de-Dooper grad transfers.  After this, I am back to the 'show me' status. 

This year we had two new starters -- Gordon and Isabell -- and look what that took.  Next year, we will have at least two and the guys behind them are raw ... both returning and incoming.  Dayton returns everyone sans Cunningham and has transfers from Michigan, Florida and Nebraska.  Davidson has everybody back.  Mason loses only Livingstone.  St. Joe's has everyone back (Fresh Kimble returned to the court Saturday as the Joeys laced La Salle).  Richmond everyone plus a recovered Nick Sherrod.  Duquesne everyone.  Rhode island everyone.  La Salle everyone but Powell.  Schmitt will do wonders at Olean I am sure.  We will need a lot of pieces to perform well and do so quickly. 

JUCOs are no different.  It always seems to take at least a year for kids to lose the old and embrace the new.  Mo Jeffers was a prime example.  With the exception of maybe David Burns, Donnie Dobbs and Justin Love.  Some don't even survive -- Caswell, Manual, Tadysak, Newbourne, and Ivester. Many are maudlin and pedestrian  ... Kenny Brown, Eberhardt, Frericks.  You just never know.  So allow me to pass on the general giddiness for the class we have right now.

I'll do the usual ... break it down into evaluation segments.  Preseason.  OOC.  Conference.  Tournament time.  This year has taught me never too high, never too low.

Depends upon your expectations  but Lisch and Liddell both played well and contributed a lot their freshmen year.  Marquee Perry comes to mind -- ran a great offense for us but other teams sagged off him and did not guard him.  Except for Hughes, or the freshmen who enroll at Duke & Kentucky, most freshmen will not carry a team and lead in all aspects of the game.  Instead, if freshmen are given roles -- run the offense, rebound, play defense, shoot from perimeter, then all will be fine.  

As to JUCO's, maybe our best JUCO ever - Maurice Jeffers was OK his first year and amazing his second/final year.

59 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

JUCOs are no different.  It always seems to take at least a year for kids to lose the old and embrace the new.  Mo Jeffers was a prime example.  With the exception of maybe David Burns, Donnie Dobbs and Justin Love.  Some don't even survive -- Caswell, Manual, Tadysak, Newbourne, and Ivester. Many are maudlin and pedestrian  ... Kenny Brown, Eberhardt, Frericks.  You just never know.  So allow me to pass on the general giddiness for the class we have right now.

I'd take another Kenny Brown or junior year (pre-injuries/circus illness) Tom Frericks any day.

Billiken Rich likes this

2 hours ago, CBFan said:

I promise on this subject not to drive you crazy I will find something else, blue font.

Can I use the excuse I am freezing in Liberal KS?

Been there.  At least you can get a good steak.  Did you "follow the yellow brick road"?

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

3 Star.  Thanks for the update.  I stand corrected.   Glad to see that Perkins may be able to shoot it.  Now, keep in mind that we are currently a bad shooting team and are terrible from the perimeter -- and that is with Bess already making 59 from 3 point this year out of 169. So let's now say that Perkins' confidence and success rate continues next year in the A10 like it currently does in JUCO at SWIC... now if that is case, then Perkins replaces Bess, and if so, we again a are bad shooting team unless Jimmerson,, as a Freshman, can replace Wiley, Isabell and fill this year's poor shooting void.  Coach Ford:  please get us another shooter

The players that we're recruiting at the 4 position can shoot it.  There's your other shooter.  Jimerson improving on Wiley's 5 ppg and 31% 3pt percentage is a reasonable expectation, Thatch improving his perimeter production is a reasonable expectation with more minutes.  And you still have Hankton on the team who could develop into a stretch 4 if he can get stronger. In that scenario you have shooters at the 2, 3 and 4 positions instead of only the 2 (sort of) and 3.

We don't need to make a quantum leap on offense.  An extra bucket and one free throw puts us at 70 ppg.  A good summer from Goodwin and Yuri's passing alone could accomplish that.

I'd rather hold on to that 13th scholarship.  If we fill all the scholarships for 2019, we only have one scholarship to offer the 2020 class.  You're not doing yourself any favors in the near term going after Kasubke and Bradford with only one scholarship.  Those kids are in demand -- they aren't going to wait around for 6 months for another scholarship to open up.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

The players that we're recruiting at the 4 position can shoot it.  There's your other shooter.  Jimerson improving on Wiley's 5 ppg and 31% 3pt percentage is a reasonable expectation, Thatch improving his perimeter production is a reasonable expectation with more minutes.  And you still have Hankton on the team who could develop into a stretch 4 if he can get stronger. In that scenario you have shooters at the 2, 3 and 4 positions instead of only the 2 (sort of) and 3.

We don't need to make a quantum leap on offense.  An extra bucket and two free throws puts us at 70 ppg.  A good summer from Goodwin and Yuri's passing alone could accomplish that.

I'd rather hold on to that 13th scholarship.  If we fill all the scholarships for 2019, we only have one scholarship to offer the 2020 class.  You're not doing yourself any favors in the near term going after Kasubke and Bradford with only one scholarship.  Those kids are in demand -- they aren't going to wait around for 6 months for another scholarship to open up.

-is JGood the 1 in this mix?

-as to holding a 13th schollie, I see both sides as with the number of transfers and things that seem to happen to us I can see using the full allotment to have depth but then wonder what quality we can get with #13 - don't simply want a placeholder 

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-as to holding a 13th schollie, I see both sides as with the number of transfers and things that seem to happen to us I can see using the full allotment to have depth but then wonder what quality we can get with #13 - don't simply want a placeholder 

Do not hold a scholarship. There will be defections. Every year. Always. 

HenryB likes this

46 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Rivals, 247 and Stu D all have Mr. Bell at 6'10".  It really doesn't matter, tall is tall, but it is kind of cool to say we have a 7 footer.  Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe 6-10 without shoes and closer to 7 feet in shoes? I've seen the same discrepancy. Regardless, he's massive. He looks at least 6-11 to me.

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Yes.  I'm the president of the Yuri Collins fan club but I know he isn't going to start.    Even if he did, you're still not getting any of shooting out of that position.

I'd rather wait until the last possible minute to get a designated shooter for 2019 than take us out of contention for Kasubke or Bradford in the spring.  There are qualified kids heading to juco in the fall who would gladly take a D-1 offer in late June.

billiken_roy likes this

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Name me one SLU freshman who has lived up to the hype outside of Larry Hughes?  Monroe Douglass had growing pains.  So too Roland Gray.  Anthony Bonner.  Kwamain Mitchell.  Wille Reed.  Brian Conklin and Chris Heinrich as seniors were not the same as they were as freshmen.  Carte'Are Gordon showed promised but left before anything was realized.  Claggs and Hmark had growing pains.  They won 5 games their freshman year.  I too was sucked in with it all this year.  Ford's third year.  carte'Are Goron.  Goodwin and Bess back.  Sooper-de-Dooper grad transfers.  After this, I am back to the 'show me' status. 

This year we had two new starters -- Gordon and Isabell -- and look what that took.  Next year, we will have at least two and the guys behind them are raw ... both returning and incoming.  Dayton returns everyone sans Cunningham and has transfers from Michigan, Florida and Nebraska.  Davidson has everybody back.  Mason loses only Livingstone.  St. Joe's has everyone back (Fresh Kimble returned to the court Saturday as the Joeys laced La Salle).  Richmond everyone plus a recovered Nick Sherrod.  Duquesne everyone.  Rhode island everyone.  La Salle everyone but Powell.  Schmitt will do wonders at Olean I am sure.  We will need a lot of pieces to perform well and do so quickly. 

I'll do the usual ... break it down into evaluation segments.  Preseason.  OOC.  Conference.  Tournament time.  This year has taught me never too high, never too low.

Did Goodwin, French and Thatch live up to expectations as freshmen?

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Goodwin

27 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Did Goodwin, French and Thatch live up to expectations as freshmen?

I would say yes.

but I have zero expectations for Freshman.  Even the highly touted ones I don’t expect much more then spot minutes and role players.

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Maybe 6-10 without shoes and closer to 7 feet in shoes? I've seen the same discrepancy. Regardless, he's massive. He looks at least 6-11 to me.

He lost 90 lbs, maybe he just stands up straighter now.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Been there.  At least you can get a good steak.  Did you "follow the yellow brick road"?

I am working at National Beef seeing plenty of good steaks rolling in on trucks and showing back up as boxes of steaks.

No yellow brick road but I have seen the place just haven’t toured it.

It is nice getting this big, Pistol likes Jankovic and it seems like coach Ford could close that deal.

If we can get Carpenter then to break up the class I would like to see a GT big and guard.

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

I would say yes.

but I have zero expectations for Freshman.  Even the highly touted ones I don’t expect much more then spot minutes and role players.

I was much more excited about Jacobs than Thatch and so yes Thatch wildly exceeded my expectations 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

In you I trust. I remember that video of Hargrove in that Dec tourney after he dunked then racing back on D. That was impressive. As for Jimmerson, I'm hoping he's the rain man or the drought stopper. He comes off the bench to get the offense back on track. Take the Dayton game for example. They're scoring 3 to our every two; in comes Jimmerson to level the playing field. 

Who is this JiMMerson you write about?

Back to Bell.  The kid seems pretty athletic.  To be looked at by colleges for both basketball and football says he is a player with lots of potential.  Appears he has the physical attributes to be a good player. You can't teach height for one thing.  So why is this 5th year player not getting more big-time offers?  He has the size, but clearly needs to slim down some more.  You can put him in the weight room to gain strength.  So what are his shortfalls .... speed, quickness?  What am I missing?  Would love to find a good scout's synopsis of the kid.  But, very excited for his possibilities.