Welcome to SLU Jimmy Bell Jr.!!!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Venice.  A very good scorer is not the same thing as a very good shooter.  In fact, I would suggest that the best scorers are not the best shooters.  When the best scorer is also the best shooter, then you have something special.  Specifically, I am pleased with Perkins becoming a Billiken.  And at the end of the day, scoring may be more important than shooting - except  that b/c of the existing personnel on our team, we need shooters to stretch the defense or at least to keep them honest.  I am not real familiar with Perkins but assume that he gets his points (which admittedly are a lot) from all parts of the floor.   Jett was a great Billiken and great scorer but most of his points came from slashing to the basket, and when fouled, from the FT line.  Pleased to see that Perkins shoots 81% from the FT line - but again, scoring and FT's does not mean he is shooter.

Now, you give a 42% FT percentage -- which admittedly is a very good percentage.  With that said, if a guy has a poor 3 point shooting percentage, then we would agree that he is probably not a good shooter.  But if he shoots 42%, then I ask -- well based on how many shots?  So I looked this up.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div1/players/javonteperkins5pra

Assume this is where you found the 42%.   If so, it says he attempted  61 shots over 28 games so that is only 2 such shots per game.  And while 26 is a good figure -- that's less than one (1) made 3 pointer per game.  And with averages, for every game he shoots 4 from the 3 point line, there is a game where he shoots none.   Not saying he cannot shoot a 3 pointer or that he is bad when he does, but is her really a shooter?   Will Perkins really stretch a better D` defense or keep A10 defenses honest?  Not sure. 

I ask who is a shooter b/c Yuri appears to be a solid PG but not necessarily a shooter.  Goodwin is a scorer but not a shooter.  Hargrove appears to be a scorer but not a shooter.  Jacobs might be a shooter but he has played so little. Thatch and Hankton are good players -- but so far they are not shooters.  French is not a shooter.  And yes, we are counting on JImmerson but he is only 1 guy.   Perimeter shooting is a big problem this year -- and we will be losing Bess, Wiley and Isabell.  If we are looking for more help, how about a shooter?

You're looking at last year's stats.  Perkins is 40/109 so far this year and that's missing stats for one game.  And he's facing double teams every game.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2018-19/div1/players/javonteperkinss2n7

VeniceMenace likes this

4 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Good summary. Other than Jimmerson, who else can shoot from outside?   Perkins?  Or is Perkins a scorer - slasher and shooter. 

Seems like we need more shooters. 

And 72, I know what you mean but we dont need another injury prone guy - Welmer😊

Thatch is going to be a pretty good shooter.  He better than he’s shown.  

Zink likes this

Not really the appropriate thread for this but since people keep bringing him up... The hype on Jimmerson already is ridiculous.  Yes, we’ve heard he’s one of the best shooters in the nation. Where else did we hear that?  Anyone remember Ford saying Ingvi is a better shooter than his brother?  And he played what, four minutes this year?

I hope Jimmerson is as good as Jimmer Fredette, but let’s cool it a bit. Our current freshman class was one of the most hyped I had seen on this board, and we have exactly one of them contributing right now. 

3 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Not really the appropriate thread for this but since people keep bringing him up... The hype on Jimmerson already is ridiculous.  Yes, we’ve heard he’s one of the best shooters in the nation. Where else did we hear that?  Anyone remember Ford saying Ingvi is a better shooter than his brother?  And he played what, four minutes this year?

I hope Jimmerson is as good as Jimmer Fredette, but let’s cool it a bit. Our current freshman class was one of the most hyped I had seen on this board, and we have exactly one of them contributing right now. 

Then what’s the point in being a fan??  I’ll choose to be excited....

7 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Jimmerson seems to be Ford’s type of guy, probably reminds him of himself, not sure on pt yet.

Putting out next years starting conversations this early is crazy 

Agree, I think a lot of folks are ignoring the newbies defensive skills. Ford puts a premium on D. Anyone have any idea on the D skills of the new guys? We know our 3 primary returnees can play D, so I figure they're locks to start. After that, it's anyone's guess at this point. Yes, we have guys coming in that are scorers, but if they can't play decent D they'll have a hard time earning minutes. 

6 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Ingvi was in Iceland Jimmerson is playing in the USA.  Ingvi was late getting to campus my guess Jimmerson will probably be on campus on time.  Was Ingvi a top 5 shooter in Iceland?  Will Jimmerson have health problems during the season?  When speaking to fans about incoming recruits what is the coach supposed to say about Ingvi who has a brother in the A10?

Fans like myself can never get enough news about our team and are always excited about the upcoming season and hate when it’s over because the next season is 7 months away.  Rarely do my expectations come true and it is a real treat when they do.

If healthy we will win the upcoming A10 tournament so consider the source.

8 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Moderate enthusiasm has never been the hallmark of a sports message board. And if you are going to get hyped about a high school shooter, it's more appropriate for a kid that has excelled at the highest levels of high school competition than it is a kid who shot 30% against similar competition.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Agree, I think a lot of folks are ignoring the newbies defensive skills. Ford puts a premium on D. Anyone have any idea on the D skills of the new guys? We know our 3 primary returnees can play D, so I figure they're locks to start. After that, it's anyone's guess at this point. Yes, we have guys coming in that are scorers, but if they can't play decent D they'll have a hard time earning minutes. 

Yuri and Hargrove can play defense. Jimerson can stay in front of his man. Coach Ford has always allowed guys who can score more latitude on defense, going back to his UMass days. He's no different than Spoonhour in that respect.

15 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Tennessee just got a 5* big man so Jibbitoh could be looking at us again

Wrong Vols got a commit from a 6'6" 2020 5 Star forward from FL who visited this weekend. A 7' 5 star postponed his visit this weekend.

9 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Not really the appropriate thread for this but since people keep bringing him up... The hype on Jimmerson already is ridiculous.  Yes, we’ve heard he’s one of the best shooters in the nation. Where else did we hear that?  Anyone remember Ford saying Ingvi is a better shooter than his brother?  And 

A coach talking about his recruit is a little different from a scout/analyst with non bias talking about a player

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

A coach talking about his recruit is a little different from a scout/analyst with non bias talking about a player

Hey I agree, I’m just trying to temper a bit of the hype. I’m sorry if that makes me a buzzkill, but I bought into the hype 100% before this season, and I think I’m feeling a bit snakebitten.  With that said, I hope we salvage the season with a good run in the A10 tourney, and I hope Jimerson shoots 48% from 3 next year. 

Billiken Rich likes this

14 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Hey I agree, I’m just trying to temper a bit of the hype. I’m sorry if that makes me a buzzkill, but I bought into the hype 100% before this season, and I think I’m feeling a bit snakebitten.  With that said, I hope we salvage the season with a good run in the A10 tourney, and I hope Jimerson shoots 48% from 3 next year. 

I'll be disappointed with 48%. 

40 minutes ago, bauman said:

Not only Clock tower, but a few other active posters.

Board posters, it's JIMERSON  as in one "M", NOT Jimmerson as in two  'M's.

This is driving me crazy.  You would think that the Billiken faithful could spell a recruit's name correctly.

I can't wait to see how some MBM's butcher Bell's name.

21 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

7' 290 lbs.  Is he down from that?

3star on Verbal commits and ESPN

Is Bella Prep a HS or one of those extra year prep schools?

Bell was at 370+ lbs. when he showed up at Bella Vista Prep, so he's down to 275-280 now.

BVP is a very small K-12 prep/charter school. There are only about 60 kids at the HS level. The all-in cost for a resident student - they stay with host families - is about $22,000. The school has been around since 2004 but the national basketball program is only a few years old. There was a prep school called Aspire that attached itself to BVP for the academic side and ran its own basketball program. That program peeled off and relocated to Louisville in 2017, so BVP decided the program hired the previous coach from Hillcrest - the other big national prep basketball program in the Phoenix area - and started its own national prep basketball program. BVP's co-founder and athletic director said the school is an academic one first and foremost, and that it was mainly his decision to split with Aspire and have his own program combined with the school.

Like any other charter school, information is a little harder to come by than with a more established traditional school. From what I can tell, academics are a little more serious at BVP than the others - Hillcrest was at the center of a controversy a few years ago about academics and living conditions, for example - but again, it's hard to get total clarity on what the curriculum is like from a distance.

Zion Harmon is playing for BVP on weekends after being ruled ineligible at Marshall County HS and having his appeal denied. His dad says he's going to stay at MCHS for his junior year but I would imagine that BVP would like to get him out there as a full-time player and student if they're allowing such an odd arrangement. Other BVP players include 2019 Arizona commit Terry Armstrong, 2020 stud Addison Patterson, 2020 recruit Jeron Artest (SLU reportedly showed interest last year at some point), and several other future D-I players.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Not only Clock tower, but a few other active posters.

Board posters, it's JIMERSON  as in one "M", NOT Jimmerson as in two  'M's.

I promise to do better.

Jimerson Jimerson Jimerson

I got it now

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is driving me crazy.  You would think that the Billiken faithful could spell a recruit's name correctly.

I can't wait to see how some MBM's butcher Bell's name.

I promise on this subject not to drive you crazy I will find something else, blue font.

Can I use the excuse I am freezing in Liberal KS?

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, gobillsgo said:

can't blame you for that.   Like Gordon, this is the most national praise ive seen on a SLU recruit in a long time.   

11 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Jimmerson seems to be Ford’s type of guy, probably reminds him of himself, not sure on pt yet.

Putting out next years starting conversations this early is crazy 

What are you basing this on?  They are/were to different kinds of players.