Welcome to SLU Jimmy Bell Jr.!!!

What I love about the current 5 man recruiting class is the balance, by position, that TF and the AC's have been able to accomplish.

We have a clear #1---YC;  a #2/#3 outstanding shooter---GJ;  a #3, possible #4 with a few more lbs---TH;  a #3/#4 who should be able to step in and serve as an immediate quasi-Bess replacement--- J. Perkins  ; and a true #5---J. Bell.

Even with no more additions-or losses-here's how we line up next year:

#1  JGood, Yuri, D. Jacobs

#2  Fred T, D. Jacobs, Jimerson, JG

#3 Perkins, Hargrove, Hankton, Jimerson, JG

#4  Perkins, Hargrove, French

#5  French, Bell.

That 10 man group looks really good and can only get better with any additions.  Young?  Yes but very talented. Our biggest problem in the A-10 next year is the fact that so much talent returns.  The league should be very strong next year.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bauman said:

What I love about the current 5 man recruiting class is the balance, by position, that TF and the AC's have been able to accomplish.

We have a clear #1---YC;  a #2/#3 outstanding shooter---GJ;  a #3, possible #4 with a few more lbs---TH;  a #3/#4 who should be able to step in and serve as an immediate quasi-Bess replacement--- J. Perkins  ; and a true #5---J. Bell.

#5  French, Bell.

That 10 man group looks really good and can only get better with any additions.  Young?  Yes but very talented. Our biggest problem in the A-10 next year is the fact that so much talent returns.  The league should be very strong next year.

Lot of options. Does sound like Jimmy is a bit of a project. A spot player, maybe? 

My ideal pickup now would be a combo PF /3, say like Cody or a Wellmer. Still think we need another guy that could come in and stretch the D. That would seem to be Jimerson's teammate. Although, he needs some bulking up. 

As someone said above A10's not gonna be a walk in the park. Just for grins; I predict at media day we'll be picked to finish no higher than 5th. 

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, bauman said:

#5  French, Bell.

Good summary. Other than Jimmerson, who else can shoot from outside?   Perkins?  Or is Perkins a scorer - slasher and shooter. 

Seems like we need more shooters. 

And 72, I know what you mean but we dont need another injury prone guy - Welmer😊

5 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Good summary. Other than Jimmerson, who else can shoot from outside?   Perkins?  Or is Perkins a scorer - slasher and shooter. 

Seems like we need more shooters. 

And 72, I know what you mean but we dont need another injury prone guy - Welmer😊

Considering Perkins is shooting 42% from 3 and 81% from the line, plus will be the top all-time scorer for SWIC, I’d call him a shooter.

cgeldmacher likes this

41 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Hope so, he was offered a couple weeks ago & he got game....2018 summer AAU highlights, including D at the end:

Let’s see...Matt Carpenter plays for the Cardinals and Jesus was a Carpenter. With all that in common I don’t know how Robert Carpenter can say no to the Bills.

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

Considering Perkins is shooting 42% from 3 and 81% from the line, plus will be the top all-time scorer for SWIC, I’d call him a shooter.

SWIC site says 36.7% from 3 and 79.1% from the line. Still good enough to be the best on our team.

This guy is the player we have needed for YEARS.  A true 5 with a ton of size and strength. Just keep him in the weight room and in shape and next year we can run a real lineup out there with French at the 4 and Bell Jr. at the 5.   Next year starting 5 should be. 

1 Yuri

2 JGood

3 Thatch/Jimmerson

4. French

5. Bell

That is a lineup to go to work with. 

10 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

This guy is the player we have needed for YEARS.  A true 5 with a ton of size and strength. Just keep him in the weight room and in shape and next year we can run a real lineup out there with French at the 4 and Bell Jr. at the 5.   Next year starting 5 should be. 

1 Yuri

2 JGood

3 Thatch/Jimmerson

4. French

5. Bell

That is a lineup to go to work with. 

Uh no

Why would we play 2 5s?  Perkins is starting.  Not sure yet how much PT Yuri gets.  

Goodwin

Thatch

Jimmer

Perkins

French

2 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Uh no

12 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

1 Yuri

2 JGood

3 Thatch/Jimmerson

4. French

5. Bell

That is a lineup to go to work 

Way too early.  But Perkins will start.  Right now I would go Goodwin, French, Perkins, Thatch, Hargrove.  

1 minute ago, WVBilliken said:

Way too early.  But Perkins will start.  Right now I would go Goodwin, French, Perkins, Thatch, Hargrove.  

Keep hearing Jimerson is one of the top 5 shooters in the nation for his class...if that’s the case, he’s starting either st the 2 or 3.

Zink likes this

1 minute ago, VeniceMenace said:

Keep hearing Jimerson is one of the top 5 shooters in the nation for his class...if that’s the case, he’s starting either st the 2 or 3.

Defense?  I'll take Thatch at 2 for the defense, rebounding and improved year 2 offense.  But plenty of minutes for Jimerson off the bench.

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Venice.  A very good scorer is not the same thing as a very good shooter.  In fact, I would suggest that the best scorers are not the best shooters.  When the best scorer is also the best shooter, then you have something special.  Specifically, I am pleased with Perkins becoming a Billiken.  And at the end of the day, scoring may be more important than shooting - except  that b/c of the existing personnel on our team, we need shooters to stretch the defense or at least to keep them honest.  I am not real familiar with Perkins but assume that he gets his points (which admittedly are a lot) from all parts of the floor.   Jett was a great Billiken and great scorer but most of his points came from slashing to the basket, and when fouled, from the FT line.  Pleased to see that Perkins shoots 81% from the FT line - but again, scoring and FT's does not mean he is shooter.

Now, you give a 42% FT percentage -- which admittedly is a very good percentage.  With that said, if a guy has a poor 3 point shooting percentage, then we would agree that he is probably not a good shooter.  But if he shoots 42%, then I ask -- well based on how many shots?  So I looked this up.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/div1/players/javonteperkins5pra

Assume this is where you found the 42%.   If so, it says he attempted  61 shots over 28 games so that is only 2 such shots per game.  And while 26 is a good figure -- that's less than one (1) made 3 pointer per game.  And with averages, for every game he shoots 4 from the 3 point line, there is a game where he shoots none.   Not saying he cannot shoot a 3 pointer or that he is bad when he does, but is her really a shooter?   Will Perkins really stretch a better D` defense or keep A10 defenses honest?  Not sure. 

I ask who is a shooter b/c Yuri appears to be a solid PG but not necessarily a shooter.  Goodwin is a scorer but not a shooter.  Hargrove appears to be a scorer but not a shooter.  Jacobs might be a shooter but he has played so little. Thatch and Hankton are good players -- but so far they are not shooters.  French is not a shooter.  And yes, we are counting on JImmerson but he is only 1 guy.   Perimeter shooting is a big problem this year -- and we will be losing Bess, Wiley and Isabell.  If we are looking for more help, how about a shooter?

VeniceMenace likes this