The Bills over GM by 4

The Bills come into this game at B- and are trending at C+....GM comes with a C+ and is trending at B- ...What does this mean?  It means overall  the Bills are a better team but  GM has been playing better than the Bills   as of late.  The variable spread is 1 to 7 pts in favor of the Bills.   It will be another nail biter.   As I pointed out in the "Down the stretch" thread, this is the 1st of 3 must win games to secure 4th place. 

Lets see what report card looks like for this game....

...............................SLU..............................GM.............................................SLU...................................GM

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................F+.................................C-..................................................A..................................B-

FG%..........................F+................................B-....................................................B+...............................C-

3P%..........................F...................................D....................................................A...................................B+

FT%...........................F-..2nd worst ITN.......B-.........................................................................................

Reb............................A................................D+....................................................B+...................................B

Changes from our last game.......Down...3P% ...F to F-.......Up ...Defense Reb....B to B+

Other grades....SLU...Offensive Reb....A+ (6th ITN).......

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Goodwin ...43rd

Rebs....French.......70th 

Blks.....French.........80th

FT %....Green ....12th (90.8%)....Livingston...38th (88.2%)

Injuries

Player   Status/Updated Notes
Goanar Mar F out for season - Foot - 2/1/19 Mar is expected to miss the rest of the season after undergoing foot surgery.

Jaire Grayer

Elliott Welmer

G

F

out for season - Foot - 2/1/19

out for season - Foot - 2/3/19

Grayer is expected to miss the rest of the season with a foot injury.

Welmer is sidelined with a left foot fracture and will likely miss the rest of the season.

These recent injuries to GM have removed a combination of 13 1/2 pts and 46 min / gm. Yet , GM has been able to fill in with its depth.  But in the end, as we have learned, when you use up depth it wears on the team over time. GM weakness is the farther away they get from the basket the worse they shoot. Conversely , their defense weakens the closer you get to the basket.

WWN2D2W....Kier is Mr. GM...He leads the team in pts...rebs...FG% and stls....Hold him to 11pts....their other 2 scores are Livingston and Green...Hold them to 11 also. Don't foul Livingston or Green... 2 of the best FT shooters in the nation. (see report card above)  We need to win the TO and reb battle especially on Off rebs.  Keep TOs to 12...And as always make the slash 42/31/ 60. Take good shots

WCGW....We miss the slash...go cold on 3s ...miss bunnies and layups...don't score on fast break TOs....and shoot in the 40s on FTs

Bottom line....A must win game...GM is a slightly above average team ...we are better than them....If we play Billiken ball,  it will be a back and forth game  that we should win in the end.

12 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Might just be total speculation at this point, but Elliot was full-on practicing with the team yesterday so hopefully it’s a step in the right direction 

He was dressed and warming up at Dayton and VCU, too. We might see him for a little time down the stretch, we might see him for one minute on senior night. Who knows. Regardless, I don't think it's irresponsible to point out that he's practicing. I'll rise from the couch for a one-man standing ovation if and when he gets in again.

14 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

Might just be total speculation at this point, but Elliot was full-on practicing with the team yesterday so hopefully it’s a step in the right direction 

My guess is he is practicing to make a token appearance  in the Wed game for Senior night.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'll rise from the couch for a one-man standing ovation if and when he gets in again.

Heck yeah, he deserves a nice ovation from the fans after all he has been thru in his career. It is really tough to see kids struggle with injuries throughout their career and we have two of them in Welmer and Wiley. It sounds like Welmer could leave SLU with a masters degree, so good to see he took advantage of the free education despite spending considerable time rehabbing significant injuries.

almaman, Pistol and Gremio14 like this

26 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Heck yeah, he deserves a nice ovation from the fans after all he has been thru in his career. It is really tough to see kids struggle with injuries throughout their career and we have two of them in Welmer and Wiley. It sounds like Welmer could leave SLU with a masters degree, so good to see he took advantage of the free education despite spending considerable time rehabbing significant injuries.

A couple weeks ago Coach said Elliott is working on his second bachelor's degree.  He also said he is trying hard to play again this season, but Coach didn't think he would make it this season.  He then said that Elliott, his family, his doctor, and the team, has some hard decisions to make after this season is over.

TheChosenOne likes this

Personnel report:  I know I will be very happy to bid adieu to Otis Livingstone.  This should be it for us in seeing him barring any Brooklyn work.  He's not far behind Justin Kier for leading scorer but asd the point with the ball in his hands and given Mason's recent perchant for beating us (it seems) I'm happy to see him go.  He and Kier are the guards what with Grayer going down 8 games into the season.  A fourth backcourter, Ian Boyd, is struggling with injury now as well.  

But these injuries have given opportunity to freshman Jordan Miller and sophomore Javon Greene.  Frankly, I like these kids and their games.  Both are high energy players with Miller going 6'6" and Greene 6'2".  The losses in the back court haven't hurt Mason much.  Greene is the third leading scorer at just over ten ppg and Miller comes in fourth at 9.8 ppg.  

The front court suffered greatly with Mar's injury in the 17th game but in reality, he wasn't doing much at 3.3 ppg.  That's a huge crash after his freshman campaign where he was an all-newcomer team.  His expected improvement, along with fellow soph big Greg Calixte, was supposed to be buttressed by the arrival of 6'9" UVa transfer Jared Reuter.  Rueter was a role player in his two years at UVa but that experience was supposed to add to the big front line.  Now Calixte is also injured and that leaves Reuter alone in the trenches.  Reuter averages about 8 ppg and that would have been fine .... as an additional accompaniment.  Now he's flying solo.  He's a big space eater at 260 pounds and physical, but not a star.  Mason's strength is once again in the backcourt.

Mason got out of the blocks bad ... losing their first three to the likes of Penn, American and Georgia Southern.  They got healthy against equally bad competition in December but also lost to Cincy and Baylor.  They then opened as expected in the A10, strong and out to a 7 and 1 start with a sole loss at Davidson.  They beat Dayton in Dayton.  Since, they are a very pedestrian 3 and 4 , which coincided with a slump by leading scorer Kier in that time frame.  

As usual, our lunchpail gang will have to bring their hardhats to survive this one.  Intheir last contest, a win at Mason vs. Richmond, Calixte and Boyd both played, but Paulsen started 5'10" waterbug Jamal Hartwell II in place of the slumping Kier. Greene, Miller and Hartwell carried Mason to the win.  

I'm watching on tape delay; no GDT comments from this guy.

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Personnel report:  I know I will be very happy to bid adieu to Otis Livingstone.  This should be it for us in seeing him barring any Brooklyn work.  He's not far behind Justin Kier for leading scorer but asd the point with the ball in his hands and given Mason's recent perchant for beating us (it seems) I'm happy to see him go.  He and Kier are the guards what with Grayer going down 8 games into the season.  A fourth backcourter, Ian Boyd, is struggling with injury now as well.  

But these injuries have given opportunity to freshman Jordan Miller and sophomore Javon Greene.  Frankly, I like these kids and their games.  Both are high energy players with Miller going 6'6" and Greene 6'2".  The losses in the back court haven't hurt Mason much.  Greene is the third leading scorer at just over ten ppg and Miller comes in fourth at 9.8 ppg.  

The front court suffered greatly with Mar's injury in the 17th game but in reality, he wasn't doing much at 3.3 ppg.  That's a huge crash after his freshman campaign where he was an all-newcomer team.  His expected improvement, along with fellow soph big Greg Calixte, was supposed to be buttressed by the arrival of 6'9" UVa transfer Jared Reuter.  Rueter was a role player in his two years at UVa but that experience was supposed to add to the big front line.  Now Calixte is also injured and that leaves Reuter alone in the trenches.  Reuter averages about 8 ppg and that would have been fine .... as an additional accompaniment.  Now he's flying solo.  He's a big space eater at 260 pounds and physical, but not a star.  Mason's strength is once again in the backcourt.

Mason got out of the blocks bad ... losing their first three to the likes of Penn, American and Georgia Southern.  They got healthy against equally bad competition in December but also lost to Cincy and Baylor.  They then opened as expected in the A10, strong and out to a 7 and 1 start with a sole loss at Davidson.  They beat Dayton in Dayton.  Since, they are a very pedestrian 3 and 4 , which coincided with a slump by leading scorer Kier in that time frame.  

As usual, our lunchpail gang will have to bring their hardhats to survive this one.  Intheir last contest, a win at Mason vs. Richmond, Calixte and Boyd both played, but Paulsen started 5'10" waterbug Jamal Hartwell II in place of the slumping Kier. Greene, Miller and Hartwell carried Mason to the win.  

I'm watching on tape delay; no GDT comments from this guy.

Will be watching on delay as well. 

One down 2 to go.

The theme of the this game was.... we did enough to win ...actually that was the theme for the final 5 mins....For the rest of the game we did more than enough.

Before  I talk about the key to the game ....I need the naysayers to look away for a moment.

The key to this game was the Bills FT shooting. especially down the stretch....While the 68% overall was surprising ...the earth shaker was the 11 made FTs of the final 13 shots (85%)...not bad for the 2nd worst shooting FT team in the nation.

Ok the naysayers can return.

Tip o the cap to Goodwin (24pts) ... his 3 stls will move him up in the top 100 ranking....also to Isabel and Bess who had 17 pts a piece.....French's  will also move up in top 100 with his 3 blks. And finally Thatch had 6 rebs.....Overall a good team effort.

The slash worked out well also. ....Finally a game where we made all the components of the slash.....plus an extra 2 and an extra 3  and an extra FT...an extra 6 pts....on top of the 4 pt spread equals 10 pts.

Let's keep it going.