Next Year

slufan13

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Imagine being picky about what kind of bigs you're recruiting when you have ONE returning next year.

sure get another headcase that is potential all american but can rip the team apart again.  since we have decent sized 3's coming in, i feel confident we could go with 4 guard lineups if we had to.   i dont want another headcase on the roster for the sake of filling a spot.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

True fans stay fans and support their team regardless. Fair weather fans are fans that support the team only when they are winning. For true fans Team Blue is "us", for fair weather fans the relationship is conditional. True fans are willing to accept injuries or defeats and remaining "Blue," fair weather fans go on vacation or transfer their support to another team like the Blues who is currently winning. Finally, true fans are willing to make a realistic evaluation of what the team is likely to do the following year taking into account prior experience and the realization that many things can (and do) happen during the season. Fair weather fans inflate their expectations based upon pre-season speculation by the press and commentaries they read, just to deflate and hit the ground hard when reality shows its ugly face. The reality of the world is that there is no justice that comes automatically to those that deserve it, and that we all have to live with what we get. True fans can do this, fair weather fans cannot.  

Yeah let's dump on fans that need to step away for a bit to keep their own sanity.  I mean it is not like the last five years included three 21 loss seasons, another situation, losing the top recruit you had in the last two decades, no above .500 conference finishes, 14 players that left the program early and multiple years of chaos off the court. There are only so many kicks to the balls people can take. 

Look, I really like the recruiting class we have coming in. I am still relatively positive about the future of the program under Ford, but the continued excuse making and acceptance of poor results is getting really old.  

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

sure get another headcase that is potential all american but can rip the team apart again.  since we have decent sized 3's coming in, i feel confident we could go with 4 guard lineups if we had to.   i dont want another headcase on the roster for the sake of filling a spot.

Who are you referring to?

17 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Isabell is a solid gt believe it or not. Guys like Wiley gave us W's which we wouldn't have without him. I already forgot about the other GT a few years back when Ford got here.

GT could be a godsend or a wasted scholarship, but I believe we should avoid injury prone transfers

It is unfortunate that Jalen Johnson left.  He would have probably contributed much more than Wiley as a sniper.  

cgeldmacher likes this

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My only problem is we could get a serviceable backup GT and still have  team capable for march.

Do yourself a favor and put the possibility of a tournament bid for next season out of your mind.  I think the best way to build from where we are now is to build for a team that can make noise in the tournament in 20-21.  If you some slip into it next season great, but don't take chances trying to get there next season.  Make sure you build a foundation to get Goodwin and French into the tournament their last season.

dlarry and TheChosenOne like this

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Do yourself a favor and put the possibility of a tournament bid for next season out of your mind.  I think the best way to build from where we are now is to build for a team that can make noise in the tournament in 20-21.  If you some slip into it next season great, but don't take chances trying to get there next season.  Make sure you build a foundation to get Goodwin and French into the tournament their last season.

Never!

Goodwin Thatch Perkins French is a solid start, wouldnt rule out next year although obviously a lot more  need's to happen/fall into place 

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It is unfortunate that Jalen Johnson left.  He would have probably contributed much more than Wiley as a sniper.  

in hindsight i agree.   but that was before we knew that santos was a fail and gordon was a headcase deserter.   cant blame johnson for diving out.   he knew he wasnt going to see time ahead of bess and probably felt the 4-5 was well manned.   pre-season he likely didnt get much of a warm and fuzzy feeling.   going forward i'd rather have hargrove, perkins and jimmerson than johnson.  

5 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

gordon

I don't think it is correct to say Gordon ripped the team apart.  This was a much better team when Gordon was still here.  We were a NIT team at that time that could have won the conference tournament with some things going our way.  

8 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

gordon

Just so I have this straight: You’re complaining about recruiting grad transfers if they can’t make an impact, you want us to recruit freshmen but then throw in that we don’t need another headcase like gordon? I have ZERO idea what the point you’re trying to make is. 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Just so I have this straight: You’re complaining about recruiting grad transfers if they can’t make an impact, you want us to recruit freshmen but then throw in that we don’t need another headcase like gordon? I have ZERO idea what the point you’re trying to make is. 

well sorry you cant comprehend.   maybe go back and take more classes at slu to up your reasoning skills.

There are freshman forwards who are capable of producing the same numbers that DJ gave us this year, with better free throw shooting.  Find that guy. Here's hoping that Robert Carpenter or another prep school forward is that guy. Mt. Zion's conference tournament starts today and the national prep school championship starts March 6.

I think our best case scenario is landing a GT big. He probably won't be a starter or a big impact player. A guy who can give us 10-15 solid mpg. 

Keep Jacobs in the fold. Most think he's as good as gone. If he is, that leaves the SO class a little thin. And how do we fill in that hole? A transfer and pray for a waiver? Good luck with that happening. 

Add a big to the incoming class. That gives us 4 FR and a decent foundation going forward. 

So, the team would look as follows:

1 SR- TBD GT Big

3 JRs: JGood, French, Perkins

3 SOs: Fred, Hankton, Jacobs

4 FR: Collins, Hargrove, Jimmerson's, TBD big 

11 scholarship players 2 openings. 

Add a transfer for 20-21. Pick up another JUCO (PF or a 5) or bank it for class of 20? 

24 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

gordon

Gordon's story still needs to be told at to what was really behind his decision. He just strikes me as the type who operates strictly on impulse. I still can't figure out his choosing DePaul. Especially since he pulled the trigger so quick. 

Another thing that's a mystery is none of the players seemed to be broken up over his departure. Sadly, this being SLU, we'll likely never learn the real reason for his quick exit. 

44 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

in hindsight i agree.   but that was before we knew that santos was a fail and gordon was a headcase deserter.   cant blame johnson for diving out.   he knew he wasnt going to see time ahead of bess and probably felt the 4-5 was well manned.   pre-season he likely didnt get much of a warm and fuzzy feeling.   going forward i'd rather have hargrove, perkins and jimmerson than johnson.  

True on the scenario.  But until one of the newcomers puts up a season of 39+% three point shooting, we will continue to really miss Jalen Johnson.

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Gordon's story still needs to be told at to what was really behind his decision. He just strikes me as the type who operates strictly on impulse. I still can't figure out his choosing DePaul. Especially since he pulled the trigger so quick. 

Another thing that's a mystery is none of the players seemed to be broken up over his departure. Sadly, this being SLU, we'll likely never learn the real reason for his quick exit. 

surprisingly enough some WG coaches were defending Gordon in the whole SLU fiasco. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Can you expand on this, i.e. What they believe drove him to leave? 

There's really not much other than when I talked to two WG assistant coaches recently, they both expressed concern about how Gordon was treated which I thought was odd.  Also this whole time I thought Gordon and the WG coaches didnt get along, was wrong on that too. I guess the one bit of detail they said was it was a mutual split, no one got booted.  who knows if they know the whole picture too.