Next Year

slufan13

I really like our freshmen next year. I hope Ford really gives them all a chance and doesn't chase a bunch of grad transfers to try to make the tournament. Let's build something sustainable. I'm tired of being satisfied with the fact that we play hard and I'm tired of there always being an excuse. Let's actually build up a winning program. We have difference makers next year who fit well into what we are lacking this year. See you guys in November.

brianstl likes this

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I really like our freshmen next year. I hope Ford really gives them all a chance and doesn't chase a bunch of grad transfers to try to make the tournament. Let's build something sustainable. I'm tired of being satisfied with the fact that we play hard and I'm tired of there always being an excuse. Let's actually build up a winning program. We have difference makers next year who fit well into what we are lacking this year. See you guys in November.

"See you in November"?  Are you giving up on this year?

22 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I totally agree with you, as long as everyone is patient and allows the guys in charge to "build up a winning program."  It doesn't happen overnight and there are bumps in the road.  The team next year will have growing pains like any other team with a bunch of new guys that are being counted on.  I look at two years from now as the break out year.

52 minutes ago, Brighton said:

You see them winning 8 straight games  ?

Did they change the rules to eliminate half of the conference from the conference tournament, or something?  Why do you think they have to win eight straight games?

Anyway, I'm going to stick with the team until the final final buzzer.

SShoe likes this

22 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Did they change the rules to eliminate half of the conference from the conference tournament, or something?  Why do you think they have to win eight straight games?

Anyway, I'm going to stick with the team until the final final buzzer.

exactly   4 remaining regular season games and 4 tourney games.   

Last night in the GDT people were wondering why Bess is having a rough stretch of games lately. Now today people expect him to carry us on his back for a March run.

He's hurt. I don't know what else people need to see. Everything about his game right now are signs of a hurt player. He's settling for 24-foot shots. He's getting to spots more slowly than usual on both ends. He's getting beaten off the dribble, which didn't happen earlier this season. He's almost never involved when we have a fast break.

He's playing through pain. He's not going to carry this team through a 4-game winning streak in Brooklyn. He's already on fumes and we have no depth to help relieve him.

3star_recruit likes this

12 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Last night in the GDT people were wondering why Bess is having a rough stretch of games lately. Now today people expect him to carry us on his back for a March run.

He's hurt. I don't know what else people need to see. Everything about his game right now are signs of a hurt player. He's settling for 24-foot shots. He's getting to spots more slowly than usual on both ends. He's getting beaten off the dribble, which didn't happen earlier this season. He's almost never involved when we have a fast break.

He's playing through pain. He's not going to carry this team through a 4-game winning streak in Brooklyn. He's already on fumes and we have no depth to help relieve him.

i agree.  i dont know this but i would bet one or both ankles/feet are heavily taped to the point of little flexibility.   something isnt right and that's too bad considering the start he had to the season and how hard we all know he worked to get ready.   life sometimes seems so unfair.  he deserves the best   i mean bess.  

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Absolutely he’s playing hurt but I wish he would take more of those 24-foot shots. This team is desperate for more 3 point offense. He has great range. Jack it up Javon. 

8 hours ago, slufan13 said:

Future is now. This team needs impact players next year & it would be an injustice to the returning players to settle for anything less.

David King likes this

3 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

Future is now. This team needs impact players next year & it would be an injustice to the returning players to settle for anything less.

There are no players bigger than the program. Get off the transfer treadmill, play your talented freshmen WITH your talented juniors and you're set up to win long term, not just next year.  The blueprint has already been established: Gonzaga, Butler, hell even Majerus's Utah teams.

brianstl likes this

19 hours ago, slufan13 said:

19 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

"See you in November"?  Are you giving up on this year?

True fans stay fans and support their team regardless. Fair weather fans are fans that support the team only when they are winning. For true fans Team Blue is "us", for fair weather fans the relationship is conditional. True fans are willing to accept injuries or defeats and remaining "Blue," fair weather fans go on vacation or transfer their support to another team like the Blues who is currently winning. Finally, true fans are willing to make a realistic evaluation of what the team is likely to do the following year taking into account prior experience and the realization that many things can (and do) happen during the season. Fair weather fans inflate their expectations based upon pre-season speculation by the press and commentaries they read, just to deflate and hit the ground hard when reality shows its ugly face. The reality of the world is that there is no justice that comes automatically to those that deserve it, and that we all have to live with what we get. True fans can do this, fair weather fans cannot.  

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

11 hours ago, VeniceMenace said:

The future is now thinking is one of the reasons we are in the spot we are right now.

personally, i would take 1 or 2 grad transfer bigs assuming they are starter quality.  otherwise grab the best high school players available and let's start doing this roster building the right way.   and please do some vetting of character and personalities this time.  

DirtyRican likes this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

personally, i would take 1 or 2 grad transfer bigs assuming they are starter quality.  otherwise grab the best high school players available and let's start doing this roster building the right way.   and please do some vetting of character and personalities this time.  

Starter quality? Not like you're asking for the world or anything. We have 4 scholarships to play with so I think we can get 2 Grad transfer/juco bigs AND two high school recruits.

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

personally, i would take 1 or 2 grad transfer bigs assuming they are starter quality.  otherwise grab the best high school players available and let's start doing this roster building the right way.

My only problem is we could get a serviceable backup GT and still have  team capable for march.

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Starter quality? Not like you're asking for the world or anything. We have 4 scholarships to play with so I think we can get 2 Grad transfer/juco bigs AND two high school recruits.

point is i really dont want to mess with grad transfer unless it is a payoff.   i would think Grad Transfer big that is glue worthy like anthony was would be fine.   i.e. we are back to vetting.  

SLU_Lax likes this