GDT Another team called the Rams

Littlebill

57 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is what's scary about VCU.  Of the 11 they played last night, only one is senior, Michael Gilmore.  He only played 8 minutes and scored 2 points.  Certainly they are a possible top 25 team next season.

not worried.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You often hear coaches lament that "we need to learn how to close out games."  This is a euphemism for "we need to take care of the ball and make free throws down the stretch".  At the end of the day it comes down to ballhandling and shooting.  See who has the ball for each team in the last three minutes of a close game and you can predict with great accuracy who's going to win it.

The offensive foul calls in college basketball have become an epidemic. Turn on any college basketball game and you’ll see multiple egregious charge calls. It isn’t good defense, it shouldn’t be rewarded, and the judgement is way too 50-50 to leave it the refs like that. Last night was a great example of another game that was made much less enjoyable due to refs calling charges. And as a team that scores a lot inside, we’ve been particularly impacted this season.

31 minutes ago, NH said:

The offensive foul calls in college basketball have become an epidemic. Turn on any college basketball game and you’ll see multiple egregious charge calls. It isn’t good defense, it shouldn’t be rewarded, and the judgement is way too 50-50 to leave it the refs like that. Last night was a great example of another game that was made much less enjoyable due to refs calling charges. And as a team that scores a lot inside, we’ve been particularly impacted this season.

too much reward for the acting jobs.   didnt they have a rule at one time if deemed an act it was a T?   they need to go back to that, call it a few times and see if the players knock it off when they get called for both the block and the T on the same play.   

I just wonder if coaches are telling their players to, not necessarily flop, but if there is hard contact, sell it. I also wonder if when our guys are playing against one another in practice, no one is selling it, and instead admirably playing through the contact. This might make it hard for the offensive player to know how much contact is too much contact in a game. Just a thought.

3star_recruit likes this

30 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

I just wonder if coaches are telling their players to, not necessarily flop, but if there is hard contact, sell it. I also wonder if when our guys are playing against one another in practice, no one is selling it, and instead admirably playing through the contact. This might make it hard for the offensive player to know how much contact is too much contact in a game. Just a thought.

I think they know Foreman and French ‘s MOs. They know that they are going to try to use their power to get to the hoop and they are anticipating it. Foreman needs to use finesse a little more. I don’t know if he has a jump stop in his arsenal but it would be helpful if he did. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think they know Foreman and French ‘s MOs. They know that they are going to try to use their power to get to the hoop and they are anticipating it. Foreman needs to use finesse a little more. I don’t know if he has a jump stop in his arsenal but it would be helpful if he did. 

Agreed. I think the whole team needs to work on finesse. They all really seem to rely on physically overpowering the other guy and unfortunately that puts their fate in the hands of the refs. VCU seems to get away with it while we don't. 

Asking guys whose entire game is built on bully ball to use more finesse is only going to get you so far.  The teams who really do have skilled finesse players have a clear advantage. The solution is to recruit skilled finesse players to compliment your bully ballers.  Which Coach has done in admirable job with in the 2019 class. 

Right now our toughness to finesse ratio is 90/10.  Should be closer to 50/50.

13 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

When Foreman tries to do anything but head down to the rim, he turns the ball over. Whether that's a travel or an errant pass, its a turnover. Any time he needs to think or change from Plan A, it's a turnover.

Think about this: 

Per minute played, DJ is leading our team in turnovers. Think about that for a second. A big is leading our team in turnovers, and he doesn't even touch the ball every possession like most of our guards do. 

Compared to our PGs who handle the ball 80% of the time:

DJ - .091 To/Min

Isabell - .086 To/Min

Goodie - .079 To/Min

Yikes.

51 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

VCU did a great job of selling contact.  Maybe I just don't notice but I always find myself questioning why our guys don't.  TI is actually not bad at it.