A-10 disciplines officials of LaSalle-Bonnies game

https://www.philly.com/college-sports/la-salle/la-salle-basketball-saint-bonaventure-atlantic-clock-error-20190226.html

When asked what discipline was administered, the answer was "we don't release that."

The LaSalle AD claims that ONE of the mistakes was not putting some time back on the clock and giving LaS the ball in front of their bench, I guess on the premise that it got that far before the horn sounded. The article doesn't confirm that that's allowed but I guess he was told that by the A-10.

This is exactly what I argued in a separate thread on this subject elsewhere in here.  What gets me here is the use of the phrase "interpretation."  I guess all rules in all sports are "open to interpretation."  But that is a crock here.  The clock starts when the ball is touched in bounds.  Why do you think you see guys letting a ball roll up court near the end of a game?  To conserve time.  I have been involved where since nothing happened in the 20+ seconds that went off the clock before an error was found, refs went back, and put those 20 seconds back on and replayed it,   A guy was called for his fifth foul.  The refs were only told it was his fourth.  So we inbounded the ball and played 20 seconds before the ball was knocked out.  Our coach pointed out the scorer's error.  The player was disqualified, 20 seconds put back on the clock, and the play re-inbounded from where the error occurred.  I was told if we had scored or another foul had been committed, they could not have gone back because something had officially happened in that 20 seconds.  Something that went into the official scorebook. 

I don't think La Salle would have won but it does once again demonstrate just how pathetic A10 officials --- referees and scorers and timekeepers -- seem to be.  And I am sure the discipline was "don't do that again."

11 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The elbow early in the game and the foul out on the fast break were two of the "worst calls I've ever seen"©

The elbow was legit, the other 4 were phantoms.

-I am not following the LaSalle AD saying the proper correction would have them inbounding in front of their bench, how does this make sense? 

-the clock operator at the table is a game official, were they included in this discipline? or who started the clock early? I get the league won't release that info but questions I have

What the La Salle AD is saying is that if the clock starts when Croswell touches the ball, and the ball deflects to Powell who throws up a shot after the early clock expires, then the time gets put back on and La Salle can inbound at the spot Powell launched, i.e. right in front of their bench.  Eliminates the need to go full court and improves La Salle's odds at getting a manageable shot.  Another option I did not think of as I thought they would put the whole 3.1` back on the clock and do the inbounds over.

1 minute ago, Taj79 said:

What the La Salle AD is saying is that if the clock starts when Croswell touches the ball, and the ball deflects to Powell who throws up a shot after the early clock expires, then the time gets put back on and La Salle can inbound at the spot Powell launched, i.e. right in front of their bench.  Eliminates the need to go full court and improves La Salle's odds at getting a manageable shot.  Another option I did not think of as I thought they would put the whole 3.1` back on the clock and do the inbounds over.

Yeah, that's my take on it too. But like I said up above, I don't know if he was told this by the league (that that is what the refs by rule should have done) or he is just making a case for that being a way to fix it, whether it's allowed by the rules or not. In other words, I still don't know what the correct "fix" is for this situation AFTER the clock snafu.

The correct call is quite easy. You either reset the clock to when the error was made, or when the error was noticed.

We have witnessed a number of time resets to the correct time this year upon review, so using the video review to reset the play properly to either the start of the play(inbounding) or when the horn sounded(with time still left) would be right. Since the second route admits the mistake; reset to full time.