NBA might be moving minimum age to 18

Cowboy

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-submits-proposal-to-lower-draft-age-from-19-to-18-report-says/a3ga5s5yqw101pwyc8s8z66jp

-from the NBA commissioner on the topic 

“My personal view is that we’re ready to make that change. … When I’ve weighed the pros and cons, given that Condoleezza Rice and her commission (On College Basketball) has recommended to the NBA that those one-and-done players now come directly into the league, and in essence the college community is saying we do not want those players anymore," Silver said.

"That sort of tips the scale in my mind that we should be taking a serious look at lowering our age to 18.”

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-submits-proposal-to-lower-draft-age-from-19-to-18-report-says/a3ga5s5yqw101pwyc8s8z66jp

-from the NBA commissioner on the topic 

“My personal view is that we’re ready to make that change. … When I’ve weighed the pros and cons, given that Condoleezza Rice and her commission (On College Basketball) has recommended to the NBA that those one-and-done players now come directly into the league, and in essence the college community is saying we do not want those players anymore," Silver said.

"That sort of tips the scale in my mind that we should be taking a serious look at lowering our age to 18.”

I feel like he's completely off base here. I don't think colleges are saying they don't want these players. One and dones do raise the level of College Basketball, it's more that the majority opinion is that the rule you have to go to college for at least a year is completely pointless. It feels like he's dumping blame on the NCAA when it's the NBA's rule.

50 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I feel like he's completely off base here. I don't think colleges are saying they don't want these players. One and dones do raise the level of College Basketball, it's more that the majority opinion is that the rule you have to go to college for at least a year is completely pointless. It feels like he's dumping blame on the NCAA when it's the NBA's rule.

College community doesn't necessarily mean college basketball.

8 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

To be fair there are really only 5-10 one and dones a year

Last year there were 19 freshmen selected in the two round NBA draft.  Mock drafts for 2019 have 18 plus or minus.  I agree this won't be even noticed in the A10.  The significant impact with be at Duke and KY who usually have combined about 25% of those selected frosh. 

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

This would only helps schools in the A10 

Not really as those one and done roster spots will be filled with the next level of players and then those spots filled with billiken like players.    Its all relative.