A-10 Tourney Double-Bye

Matty Light

If we want any shot at a double-bye in the A-10 Tournament, it is crucial that we win our two remaining home games AND one one of the 3 remaining road games.  With the remaining schedules it looks like VCU, Davidson, and Dayton should be able to secure double-byes.  That #4 seed is going to be a battle between George Mason, St. Bonnie, Duquesne, and SLU.

Does anyone know the tiebreaker scenario for seeding?  Is it head-to-head against the tied teams?  There is a pretty decent chance GM, St.B, Duq, and SLU could all finish 10-8 and tied for 4th.

The St. Bonnies game could loom very large in the future.  Here's hoping our Billikens come out with the same passion they did in the home game against Dayton.

for some reason i am thinking it is record of games between all teams tied.   i.e. if it would be a four way time, take the games played amongst these four teams for all four teams and what would the records be of just those games.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2019 at 1:58 PM, Matty Light said:

If we want any shot at a double-bye in the A-10 Tournament, it is crucial that we win our two remaining home games AND one one of the 3 remaining road games.  With the remaining schedules it looks like VCU, Davidson, and Dayton should be able to secure double-byes.  That #4 seed is going to be a battle between George Mason, St. Bonnie, Duquesne, and SLU.

Does anyone know the tiebreaker scenario for seeding?  Is it head-to-head against the tied teams?  There is a pretty decent chance GM, St.B, Duq, and SLU could all finish 10-8 and tied for 4th.

The St. Bonnies game could loom very large in the future.

Big game in Olean on Saturday with a double-bye at stake.  My prediction nailed everything but the records being 11-7 instead of 10-8.  Of course, we gotta beat the Bonnies first.

SOMEONE SECURE THE BUS THIS TIME!!!

Spoon-Balls likes this

9 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

Crazy that it all comes down to the game Saturday. We struggle in Olean but I like our experience over the Bonnies’ youth. 

Ugh.  It why does it have to be Olean!  I pretty much always assume a loss in Olean when I'm looking at the schedule at the beginning of the season no matter how good / bad each team is.

That being said, 3 teams have won conference games in Olean this season: VCU, Davidson, and Dayton.  SLU needs this win to secure the #4 spot behind those 3.  Don't hold anything back.

1 minute ago, RUBillsFan said:

Ugh.  It why does it have to be Olean!  I pretty much always assume a loss in Olean when I'm looking at the schedule at the beginning of the season no matter how good / bad each team is.

That being said, 3 teams have won conference games in Olean this season: VCU, Davidson, and Dayton.  SLU needs this win to secure the #4 spot behind those 3.  Don't hold anything back.

Also to keep in mind--all of that senior day emotion that we were worried about sinking us against Duquesne is now on the Bonnies shoulders.  Time to break that winless steak against the Bonnies.

The guy who made this chart has run all the scenario's and if we don't secure 4th, it looks like the next most likely landing is 6th.  There are only two locks, VCU at #1 and Rhode Island at 8th.  

And here is a spreadsheet from the A10 forum on 4-7 with the tie breakers defined. (This isn't mine either.)

Here is a small spreadsheet I created outlining Seeds 4-7 based on Saturday's results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...dxo/edit#gid=0

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:
The guy who made this chart has run all the scenario's and if we don't secure 4th, it looks like the next most likely landing is 6th.  There are only two locks, VCU at #1 and Rhode Island at 8th.  

I wonder if that means that Duquesne would have the tiebreaker over us in a situation where we both lose (along with GM).  Or is it simply because they are expecting GM to get to 11 wins?

24 minutes ago, Matty Light said:

I wonder if that means that Duquesne would have the tiebreaker over us in a situation where we both lose (along with GM).  Or is it simply because they are expecting GM to get to 11 wins?

Look at the excel spreadsheet from the link. It explains tiebreakers team by team, not generically. 

In an A10 game last night only important to VCU's potential At Large selection, the Rams prevailed over Saint Joseph's by 12.  That's 12 straight wins to finish the conference year.  They are obviously hot, but I will stick with my prediction of two weeks ago that they won't win the A10 tourney.  

Coach Rhodes deserves to be Coach of the Year, taking the preseason 7th place selection to the top of the league.

Today they are 31 in the NET.  (Still in the screw you Mid-Major territory.)  

billiken_roy likes this

So, at this point it looks like we'll face either Richmond or St. Joes.

So if Dayton holds on to beat Duq, we'll get the winner of 11-14, probably Richmond.