Debate: Last Night's Bunnie Win

Taj79

1 hour ago, thetorch said:

They were guarding the inbounds on the 3rd try.  The referee pulled the defender back for no reason.  The defender, Tom Mcmillen, claims the ref told him he had to be 5 feet away from the defender.  The ref claims he didn't.  Replays of the game show the ref gesturing the Mcmillen to move away from the inbounds.

Its been said that Jones was a communist sympathizer and thought a soviet victory would result in more globalization of the game and that is why he interjected himself into the proceedings.

Yeah, it looks like the ref was telling McMillen to give them some clearance, but he was backing off 10+ feet and effectively out of the play.  I hadn't heard about the communist sympathizer angle. He certainly asserted himself as an official spokesman, and I guess no one questioned him. This is an interesting piece to listen to.  It's kind of a view from the Russian perspective.  Costas does a good job.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

Noble intentions?  Really?

Its been said that Jones was a communist sympathizer and thought a soviet victory would result in more globalization of the game and that is why he interjected himself into the proceedings.

I think it's possible to interpret the portion I highlighted in bold as noble.