Bonus Play in CUSA - Would it have worked in A10?

HoosierPal

I couldn't find the old topic, so I started a new one.

Most will recall CUSA is experimenting with a 'bonus play' system this year, where the last four games are scripted as to where each team is in the standings.  The reason is to have the higher rated teams play other higher rated teams, perhaps getting a second CUSA team into the NCAA.  Well that isn't going to happen, as the highest NET is Old Dominion at 81. Southern Miss is next at 107.  So there would be no feasible way for ODU to gain 30 to 40 points, nor SMiss to jump 60 points.  Western KY is actually second in CUSA, but they have a NET of 131.

C-USA 2019 Bonus Play Groups:

Group 1 Group 2 Group 3
1. Old Dominion 6. North Texas 11. Rice
2. WKU 7. Marshall 12. Middle Tennessee
3. Southern Miss 8. Florida Atlantic 13. UTEP
4. UTSA 9. FIU 14. Charlotte
5. UAB 10. Louisiana Tech

So, what if the A10 had done this same bonus play.  Today the Bills are tied for 5th. We haven't played George Mason nor St. Bonaventure, so standings and W/L would be different.  The schedule would have to have been balanced to make this work. 

But, today, with what we has been played, Duquesne would have the tie breaker over the Bills due to the head to head. That would be a big Ouch, not that we could play our way into contention.  But bonus play could/would have possibly helped the A10, getting a second team off the bubble.  Right now Davidson is in on some brackets, out of others, first 4 out, etc.  Youneverknow.

Anyway, interesting to follow up on this now, and to see if CUSA gets any benefits out of it. 

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-my gosh, look at the makeup of that conference, what a change from when we were members

When the Catholic 7 formed the new Big East, the remaining members poached the hell out of CUSA to have a halfway respectable conference. CUSA retooled with what they could.

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-my gosh, look at the makeup of that conference, what a change from when we were members

Charlotte has really hit the skids since rejoining CUSA.  They used to have a very solid program, but not anymore.  Final 4 in the late 70's with Cornbread Maxwell to cellar dweller of the conference.

22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Charlotte has really hit the skids since rejoining CUSA.  They used to have a very solid program, but not anymore.  Final 4 in the late 70's with Cornbread Maxwell to cellar dweller of the conference.

We think we got screwed in these conference shakeups.  Charlotte had a better program than us, pretty much throughout our time in CUSA.  They got a worse deal than DePaul.  One of our longest running conference rivals.  We should try a home and home with the 49ers.

8 minutes ago, thetorch said:

We think we got screwed in these conference shakeups.  Charlotte had a better program than us, pretty much throughout our time in CUSA.  They got a worse deal than DePaul.  One of our longest running conference rivals.  We should try a home and home with the 49ers.

Didn't they go from the A10 to CUSA for football?  I agree, I'd go H and H with them, and hope they have a decent team. UAB was another CUSA foe that gave us good battles.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Didn't they go from the A10 to CUSA for football?  I agree, I'd go H and H with them, and hope they have a decent team.

Yes they did.

Let’s get this home and home together.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Didn't they go from the A10 to CUSA for football?  I agree, I'd go H and H with them, and hope they have a decent team.

They voted to reinstate their football program in 08 and started it in 11 in FCS.  They have been FBS in CUSA for 5 years.  They are terrible and don't draw 20k a game.  Meanwhile their strong basketball program as gutted for a joke of a football program in a 3rd rate conference.

Demarco Johnson, Sean Colson, Rodney White, Eddie Basden, they had some scary teams.

AGB91 likes this