The NIT

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/15/2019 at 9:46 AM, wgstl said:

I wonder how far we could jump with two more wins.  those wins(I hate doing this btw) would be against a team with a net of 65 and 67 - hoping Davidson wins. 

It looks like the big win (9 points) over Dayton only bumped SLU's net up to 110 (from 113).  I didn't think 2 wins would get us there, but that is a lot smaller of a jump than I thought especially considering the margin of victory.  Dayton dropped from 65 to 69.  Davidson is up to 65 from 67.  Seems that a win over Davidson no matter how big won't bump SLU up in the NET enough to be in NIT contention.  Just win the whole F*CKING thing!!!

30 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It looks like the big win (9 points) over Dayton only bumped SLU's net up to 110 (from 113).  I didn't think 2 wins would get us there, but that is a lot smaller of a jump than I thought especially considering the margin of victory.  Dayton dropped from 65 to 69.  Davidson is up to 65 from 67.  Seems that a win over Davidson no matter how big won't bump SLU up in the NET enough to be in NIT contention.  Just win the whole F*CKING thing!!!

Dang, I thought it would bump us up way  more than that 

27 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Dang, I thought it would bump us up way  more than that 

The reason it will not is that by now we have played 33 games this season and won 21 of them, losing 12 in the process. The places teams hold in the rankings are much more fixed  at this stage in the season (they will not be completely fixed until the end of the season for each team, but by now the variation brought about by winning a game is a lot smaller than what it was earlier in the season).

6 minutes ago, Compton said:

^Good point. 

No A10 representation in the CBI this year - although West Virginia and DePaul accepted invites/invoices, which is kinda different. 

I think WV is extremely young, probably a good opportunity for them to keep playing games. 

28 minutes ago, Compton said:

^Good point. 

No A10 representation in the CBI this year - although West Virginia and DePaul accepted invites/invoices, which is kinda different. 

If DePaul has a home game, they might draw 25 people. This will be a big money sink for them. 

On 3/17/2019 at 9:58 PM, slusam said:

Davidson and Dayton in NIT

Both lose, Davidson goes down 89-81 to Lipscomb and Dayton 78-73 to Colorado. 😕

5 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Both lose, Davidson goes down 89-81 to Lipscomb and Dayton 78-73 to Colorado. 😕

That was quick, I guess they never recovered from the beat down from the bullies from Saint Louis.

Watched an NIT game today. Three rule changes were interesting.  They are using the wider FIBA lane.  It didn't cause any issues.  They are using the longer FIBA three point arc.  That was interesting.  Several times players shot from the college line rather than back up.  And a few times a player had to back up into the three, rather than just catch and shoot.  It caused some rhythm issues with the shooters.   It's something that shooters would get used to during a full season, but it posed problems in this short tourney.

Then they divided each half into 10 minute segments.  Five or more fouls in each 10 min. segment resulted in a two shot foul.  At the 10 minute mark, the totals were set back to zero.  So no one and ones, everything was a two shot foul (boy that would have helped us).  It did factor into the strategy of the game.  

I was at the UNCG game against Lipscomb. First, let me say that Lipscomb is a very good team. They smoked the G 86-69 and it was 84-55 at one point.

As far as the rules go, I loved them. Less interruptions with free throws, shotclock resets to 20 seconds on offensive rebounds, longer three point line and wider lane makes for much smoother flowing game. Bring on all changes.

HoosierPal likes this

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Watched an NIT game today. Three rule changes were interesting.  They are using the wider FIBA lane.  It didn't cause any issues.  They are using the longer FIBA three point arc.  That was interesting.  Several times players shot from the college line rather than back up.  And a few times a player had to back up into the three, rather than just catch and shoot.  It caused some rhythm issues with the shooters.   It's something that shooters would get used to during a full season, but it posed problems in this short tourney.

Then they divided each half into 10 minute segments.  Five or more fouls in each 10 min. segment resulted in a two shot foul.  At the 10 minute mark, the totals were set back to zero.  So no one and ones, everything was a two shot foul (boy that would have helped us).  It did factor into the strategy of the game.  

This is how the women's game is played. Four 10 minute quarters, after the 5th foul in a quarter, you shoot two. No more one and ones. I've heard rumors that the men's game was going that way. Maybe it's closer than I thought.

22 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

This is how the women's game is played. Four 10 minute quarters, after the 5th foul in a quarter, you shoot two. No more one and ones. I've heard rumors that the men's game was going that way. Maybe it's closer than I thought.

I wouldn't mind it either.  As BillikenBill said, there was less disruption in the flow of the game.  They still played two 20 minute half's, they just reset the foul count at 10 minutes- which more or less might as well be a quarter pole.  The 20 second reset on an offensive possession is a good one too.

Men's college basketball is basically the last place where the game is still played in halves. NBA, WNBA, women's college ball, HS, grade school - all quarters. Makes sense to me to move to quarters.

However, moving to quarters would result in the loss of a media timeout - something that would have 100% support from fans, but not from the NCAA, given what this Tournament generates in ad revenue. My guess is that's all that's holding men's basketball back from switching.

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

Men's college basketball is basically the last place where the game is still played in halves. NBA, WNBA, women's college ball, HS, grade school - all quarters. Makes sense to me to move to quarters.

However, moving to quarters would result in the loss of a media timeout - something that would have 100% support from fans, but not from the NCAA, given what this Tournament generates in ad revenue. My guess is that's all that's holding men's basketball back from switching.

Wouldn't that be offset by the break between quarters?

10 hours ago, almaman said:

Wouldn't that be offset by the break between quarters?

I think the way they do it with quarters is a media timeout at the under-5 whistle, the quarter break, and the next under-5 whistle. So that's 3 per half, whereas the current format is at the under-16, under-12, under-8, and under-4 minute whistles - 4 per half.

-I'm a fan of the men's college game and high school ball so I wouldn't move to halves or eliminate the one and one

-while they are looking at rules in the NIT, are they looking at eliminating traveling? from the games I saw in the NCAA it seems like traveling is up for interpretation on every possession