The NIT

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, The Valley Sucks said:

Let me start by saying I still believe we can win the conference tourney and make the big dance. But if we don’t the NIT would be progress. What would it take to make the field? It seems the auto bids to the tournament have increased the past few years and will make it tough for us to squeeze in. 22-11 enough? 

Doubting its possible.    Simple math says we wont get ranked high enough to get an invite.   

68 ncaa teams

32 nit teams.

Thats 100 there.   But keep in mind there are about 22 conferences that dont deserve (not top 68 teams)  an ncaa spots that will be granted one a yone by winning their Conference tourney and any of those conferences that their regular season conference champ got beat in the tourney and didnt get an at large bid will get an NIT invite.   

So between those two happenings will likely take NIT invites to at least under 80 imo.   We will never get to that.   

We are ncaa tourney by winning the A10 tourney or nothing.

Just a piece of information, nothing more.  In the last five years, every NIT At Large team has won at least 17 games in the regular season.  We have 16 now.  There are a handful of teams ahead of us in NET, and are 100 or lower,  that won't get to 17, namely Penn State, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Missouri, and perhaps a few others. 

5 hours ago, The Valley Sucks said:

Let me start by saying I still believe we can win the conference tourney and make the big dance. But if we don’t the NIT would be progress. What would it take to make the field? It seems the auto bids to the tournament have increased the past few years and will make it tough for us to squeeze in. 22-11 enough? 

Usually it's 11-13 teams from the one bid leagues who lose their conference tourney and take spots in the NIT. The other question is should we accept a CBI bid if that's the only option? I say yes.

Personally, I tend to only like an NIT or CBI bid if the team is young and can benefit that youth by playing more.  So if we get to nine guys, four will be graduating and dispel my theory right there.

After seeing how this year has unfolded, and this could change with a Brooklyn miracle, I think the NIT ain't gonna happen. Now looking forward to next year, I'd love to make the NIT for the reasons Taj Mahal 79 cited. Lots of youngsters, put off the foreign trip a year to play with the new guys, and then rip thru the A10 and get in the dance in Year 5 of the T Ford era. 

2 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Usually it's 11-13 teams from the one bid leagues who lose their conference tourney and take spots in the NIT. The other question is should we accept a CBI bid if that's the only option? I say yes.

Depending on the health of the roster, I think there is a chance we would turn down an NIT bid. If we have 7 players that can go you for sure, you take the bid if we could rally enough to get one.  

35 minutes ago, NH said:

I disagree strongly with anyone who would want us to turn down an NIT bid. It’s a tournament with lots of good teams. It would give our seniors a chance at postseason and would give our other players further time to develop.

Exactly. 2 of our freshman have been hurt for a while (Hankton and Jacobs) and getting the extra practice could really help improve their game

10 hours ago, NH said:

I disagree strongly with anyone who would want us to turn down an NIT bid. It’s a tournament with lots of good teams. It would give our seniors a chance at postseason and would give our other players further time to develop.

I’d ask Bess.

If he wants to go play in the CBI or NIT you do it. He has earned the right to make the call. 

If he feels his ankle or foot just can’t handle anymore games and he wants to rest it for pro workouts then don’t go.

From watching him give it all night in and night out while hurt I think we all know the answer he would give.

RiseAndGrind likes this

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The postseason wouldn't be about Bess. It would be postseason experience for the guys who are going to be here next year. Limit his minutes if need be. His priority should be pre-draft camps.

I agree, it is TeamBlue.  French and Goodwin has as much invested as Bess or Foreman, and they will be returning.  Let the team vote.  No criticism intended, but if Bess didn't want to play, I'd still take an invite.

jonny karate likes this

Honestly, nothing wrong with the NIT.  I watch it every year, a ton of great teams that didnt make it because you're 10-20 Morgan state had a good conference tourney run by beating an already bad Florida A&M.

If we were deeper/younger, Id settle for CBI.

My thoughts on the NIT is that it would provide us an opportunity to play teams we don't get the chance to play in the regular season.  If we get to matchup against some P5 schools and get our guys more experience (remember that Goodwin and French are only Sophomores) then we should go for it.

You don't turn down an NIT bid. SLU isn't getting an NIT bid unless they somehow win the regular season but don't win the conference tournament. It is kind of a moot point. 

You do turn down CBI, CIT, etc because they are worthless tournaments with low level programs and would cost the athletic department significant money. 

Littlebill and billiken_roy like this

In last year's NIT, there were 12 Conference winners who didn't get into the NCAA that got automatic NIT spots.  So there were 20 At Large invites.  The lowest win totals for At Large schools were Temple at 17-15 and LSU at 17-14.  Two At Large schools had 18 wins and four At Large schools had 19 wins.  Fifteen slots went to P5 schools.  

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, The Valley Sucks said:

So with a win Saturday and 2-1 in Brooklyn that would put us at 22-12. 4th in the A10 we could hope Davidson or Dayton win the conference tourney if we don’t because they would both be locks for the NIT. A win over VCU in the semi would definitely help our net would it be enough to make the NIT? 

Or we go win the whole fuoking thing. 4 out of the last 7 conf. tourney champions came from the 4th spot.

15 minutes ago, The Valley Sucks said:

So with a win Saturday and 2-1 in Brooklyn that would put us at 22-12. 4th in the A10 we could hope Davidson or Dayton win the conference tourney if we don’t because they would both be locks for the NIT. A win over VCU in the semi would definitely help our net would it be enough to make the NIT? 

will depend on the number of conference tourney regular season winners in the lower conferences that get upset in their respective conference tourneys.   that will determine the line for the nit.   it might be as low as a net 75.  so dayton definitely isnt a shoo in and any let down by davidson could put them in jeopardy as well.   Same with VCU on the ncaa bubble.   right now they are likely in with a probably 8 or 9 seed, however, they collapse and lose two straight if i was vcu i wouldnt want to make them choose between vcu and a power 5 conference  team.   

imo though the A10 assuming VCU doesnt win the tourney, will get 2 Ncaa bids and 1 Nit bid.