Geedubya from da'Couch .....

Taj79

.... I'm telling you, once you disconnect your "All In," emotionally-charged affiliation and allegiance to the Bills, you can actually watch a game and keep your cardia-endangerment moments to a minimum.  Don't believe me?  Ho welse can I explain a civil discourse with 05 in the middle of a GDT?  I have no clue, otherwise ......

I now approach every game as a 'we might win or we might lose' situation.  Takes the blood pressure down a lot.  As I expected, George Washington didn't have the horses to make it a fight.  Imagine how low they must be because, well, frankly, we don't have the horses either.  But our horses are better than theirs.  And our recruiting appears better.  DJ Williams is a nice pick up after transferring from UofI.  We tried to make him a star.  Over a third of Geedubya's total points.  I thought Maceo Jack might be the second half man to add to Williams but he fizzled down the stretch.  All of GW did as I think their youth shone through.  Our zone took away Williams' ability to drive to the hole at will in that half was.  Good move by Ford.  Still, even with a zone and with Williams being their only real makeable threat from range, we shut him down there as well.  I thought we forced someone else to beat us and that didn't happen.

Fred Thatch had a half ... then didn't. Maybe kid just knows when he's needed and when to defer to the senior.  Heard Wiley was on a bike behind the bench the whole second half.  That's not a good sign.  His attempt on defense in the first half on that GW layup was as best an "Ole" as I've seen recently.  Not a good sign -- he breaks and we get even shorter on the bench.  Jacobs was downgraded right before tip or so I was told.  Is this kid a keeper?  Boy, I'd sure like some more data on that before I cast a vote. 

Isabell remains maddening.  Someone said he reminds them of Yarbrough --- one minute 'YAY!" and the next minute "WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!"  Unfortunately our season and its success is married to this guy for better or for worse.  Bob Wenzel analyzed him to a tee on a number of occasions last night.  Reminds me of that old 'Tubes' song that opens "Welcome in my friends to the show that never ends, come inside, step inside."  Again, when you embrace the horror, its all good. 

I gave the points and gladly suffered for it.  Let's remember .. for as depleted as we were last year, we had a shot at fourth place going into the final week.  Why am I not surprised this is the case again this year.  We got a bonus last night with La Salle beating Duquesne.  Duquesne inbounded the ball with 4.6 left, got it into Eric Williams, who dribbled the length of the court and put up a decent lay-up attempt.  A lay up!  Just a little too hard off the glass.  Could've used a Umass upset at Mason but Umass ran out of gas and players in overtime. With a minute to go in regulation, Umasss was up four.  They missed a game winning three as the clock expired and then had Mason score with every possession in the OT.   Biggest games of the weekend are VCU at Dayton on Saturday an damson going to the Bunnies on Sunday.  I guess I'm rooting VCU and the Bunnies.

It was a useful win - the team played well, faltered then reasserted itself. Any road win is useful - and this was better showing than Fordham for example. I understand your point about having more of we might win/we might lose mentality - still I was optimistic as I sat in traffic jam, checking the game log and seeing "Thatch steal ... Thatch layup ... Thatch three-pointer." Then got home just in time for the last few minutes of first half, and the lead was evaporating. They stuck with it in second half though, and then Bess closed it out.

Hopefully it was also useful game for the team to learn - I feel last couple of years you could sense team learning its own game as season progressed, but this year has been slower to get that momentum. It was good for example for French to become more effective as the game went on passing out of the post when double or triple teamed. Trouble is, too many players that he passes to are reluctant to shoot. I liked the announcer commentary too - one point he made about Goodwin is that GW wasn't even guarding him closely on the perimeter - he also called Goodwin a "point guard/power forward" hybrid. My question is, what else can Goodwin (and Ford) do to unlock Goodwin's potential on offense?

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

Been a big let down from October, hasn't it? I can recall more than a few having Sweet 16 dreams. All seems so foggy now. 

If Gordon is still on our team and we stay healthy I still would like our chances to get to the sweet 16.  We really miss Gordon, his defense and blocking ability changed a lot of shots and I felt his scoring would improve.  If Wiley, Hankton and Jacobs stay healthy all season we had options to press teams on defense and our team presses well but are not deep enough to maintain the press all game.  Hankton and Wiley being available every game gives us better outside shooting and would stop teams from always zoning us.

Injuries and defections has changed the season where the milestones I would like now is the team to achieve is a winning record in the A-10 and winning at least 20 games.

If the team gets healthy 9 players playing the rest of the season then I will have higher expectations but with 7 players I have lower expectations now.

What I learned from my original sweet 16 prediction is that I was foolish to think Wiley would stay healthy and Gordon would be a good citizen at school.

7 hours ago, Taj79 said:

.... I'm telling you, once you disconnect your "All In," emotionally-charged affiliation and allegiance to the Bills, you can actually watch a game and keep your cardia-endangerment moments to a minimum.  Don't believe me?  Ho welse can I explain a civil discourse with 05 in the middle of a GDT?  I have no clue, otherwise ......

I now approach every game as a 'we might win or we might lose' situation.  Takes the blood pressure down a lot.  As I expected, George Washington didn't have the horses to make it a fight.  Imagine how low they must be because, well, frankly, we don't have the horses either.  But our horses are better than theirs.  And our recruiting appears better.  DJ Williams is a nice pick up after transferring from UofI.  We tried to make him a star.  Over a third of Geedubya's total points.  I thought Maceo Jack might be the second half man to add to Williams but he fizzled down the stretch.  All of GW did as I think their youth shone through.  Our zone took away Williams' ability to drive to the hole at will in that half was.  Good move by Ford.  Still, even with a zone and with Williams being their only real makeable threat from range, we shut him down there as well.  I thought we forced someone else to beat us and that didn't happen.

Fred Thatch had a half ... then didn't. Maybe kid just knows when he's needed and when to defer to the senior.  Heard Wiley was on a bike behind the bench the whole second half.  That's not a good sign.  His attempt on defense in the first half on that GW layup was as best an "Ole" as I've seen recently.  Not a good sign -- he breaks and we get even shorter on the bench.  Jacobs was downgraded right before tip or so I was told.  Is this kid a keeper?  Boy, I'd sure like some more data on that before I cast a vote. 

Isabell remains maddening.  Someone said he reminds them of Yarbrough --- one minute 'YAY!" and the next minute "WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!"  Unfortunately our season and its success is married to this guy for better or for worse.  Bob Wenzel analyzed him to a tee on a number of occasions last night.  Reminds me of that old 'Tubes' song that opens "Welcome in my friends to the show that never ends, come inside, step inside."  Again, when you embrace the horror, its all good. 

I gave the points and gladly suffered for it.  Let's remember .. for as depleted as we were last year, we had a shot at fourth place going into the final week.  Why am I not surprised this is the case again this year.  We got a bonus last night with La Salle beating Duquesne.  Duquesne inbounded the ball with 4.6 left, got it into Eric Williams, who dribbled the length of the court and put up a decent lay-up attempt.  A lay up!  Just a little too hard off the glass.  Could've used a Umass upset at Mason but Umass ran out of gas and players in overtime. With a minute to go in regulation, Umasss was up four.  They missed a game winning three as the clock expired and then had Mason score with every possession in the OT.   Biggest games of the weekend are VCU at Dayton on Saturday an damson going to the Bunnies on Sunday.  I guess I'm rooting VCU and the Bunnies.

I share your frustration. I think we have to play Jacobs before he decides to transfer.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

If Gordon is still on our team and we stay healthy I still would like our chances to get to the sweet 16.  We really miss Gordon, his defense and blocking ability changed a lot of shots and I felt his scoring would improve.  If Wiley, Hankton and Jacobs stay healthy all season we had options to press teams on defense and our team presses well but are not deep enough to maintain the press all game.  Hankton and Wiley being available every game gives us better outside shooting and would stop teams from always zoning us.

Injuries and defections has changed the season where the milestones I would like now is the team to achieve is a winning record in the A-10 and winning at least 20 games.

If the team gets healthy 9 players playing the rest of the season then I will have higher expectations but with 7 players I have lower expectations now.

What I learned from my original sweet 16 prediction is that I was foolish to think Wiley would stay healthy and Gordon would be a good citizen at school.

I too thought that we could make some noise in March. Losing Santos hurt, Isabell never fit in, Wiley remains a walking wounded, and Gordon's departure was a gut punch. No team goes thru a season w/o injuries, but I thought we had the depth to over come that reality. Sadly, it didn't play out that way. 

59 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If a player had already decided to transfer and didn't want to risk further injury, wouldn't his situation play out just as it has?

I can see this being the case, but he's not doing anything to show other schools what he can do at this level. While I think he's a talent, he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he was given the chance. I don't think a lot of schools would be overly impressed if they asked for the films of his actual game play. And why is everyone convinced he really wants out?

59 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If a player had already decided to transfer and didn't want to risk further injury, wouldn't his situation play out just as it has?

If a player has decided to transfer (leave) they usually leave and don’t keep practicing right?  Now if they want to finish the academic year, why not finish the athletic year?  Unless like some who want to keep open a redshirt year - but Jacobs has played 15 games so this year. 

Not playing if cleared by the trainer is not normal and a good sign, but to assume it means transfer seems a stretch.  Why practice if you are concerned about injury? Injuries occur from play - not just games. And why not show others teams and coaches what you can do in games?  Coaches can be told you were not 100%. But most importantly, why not play games w your teammates in the sport you love?

17 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I can see this being the case, but he's not doing anything to show other schools what he can do at this level. While I think he's a talent, he didn't exactly set the world on fire when he was given the chance. I don't think a lot of schools would be overly impressed if they asked for the films of his actual game play. And why is everyone convinced he really wants out?

IF he transfers he’s going to end up at DePaul with his brother and Gordon. MB 5* lock.

30 minutes ago, slusam said:

Or the issue with Jacobs is exactly what Coach Ford said it is. Everyone heals differntly and can handle pain differently.

Healing differently and handling pain differently are completely separate. Either he is a wimp or is faking it to not play. Bess has been playing on worse. If Jacobs wants to play, he would push through to help his teammates. Doesn’t seem that way to me. Players like that are not #teamblue

billikenfan05 likes this

10 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Pleaes remind me again what type of injury he has. 

At first it was an ankle we saw that in a game where he had to be carried off the court.  Coach Ford recently said shin splints.  I hope and think we will see our 9 players all playing sometime soon because now we hear that Jacobs is practicing.

If the transfer talk is just rumors Jacobs playing again will allow more full court pressing and I think our team has done that well this season.

3 minutes ago, CBFan said:

At first it was an ankle we saw that in a game where he had to be carried off the court.  Coach Ford recently said shin splints.  I hope and think we will see our 9 players all playing sometime soon because now we hear that Jacobs is practicing.

If the transfer talk is just rumors Jacobs playing again will allow more full court pressing and I think our team has done that well this season.

Did Ford say Jacobs has shin splints, or was that just my unsubstantiated "information" (in an earlier post)?