The Joeys from da'Couch .................

Taj79

................the Dayton game gave me hope.  Reality b*tch-slapped me back.  The game day thread covered it all, especially my last posts about who we are, what we lack, and simple math.  We should win the next two based on talent alone but I am very skeptical about us on the road even at Geedubya.  We were the bug on the Joey's windshield of emotion.  It happens.  On any given night ................

The only comment/question I have is on the Post story and the quote from Javon .........."we didn't come ready to play."  I have heard that lame excuse going all the way back to Kevin Lisch.  I am willing to listen to all explanations on that one.  I wake up in the morning, see the Bills are on or playing, and I'm ready to play.  I've driven through snowstorms, endangering my wife and children to see the Bills play.  I'm ready to play.  I've received speeding tickets driving down I-95 to get to Bills games at Geedubya and Mason.  I'm ready to play.  How can you not be ready to play and just who is he talking about.

I hope, like Duquesne this year, we get picked for 11th next year.  Then maybe we can overachieve instead of disappoint for once.

I have a problem with a team "not coming ready to play" when they are teetering on the edge of double byedom and every win or lose is vital.   come on coach.   you only have 7 players to get in the right frame of mind. 

TheChosenOne likes this

I don’t buy that “not ready to play” garbage.

It’s just a sports cliche that every player says after every loss. We have heard it after every loss this year. The Blues say it after every one of their losses. It’s a sound bite with no meaning. 

What I think happened....they came ready to play but St. Joes came out on fire. The Bills got frustrated, got down a bunch and their spirit got broken. 

They cameready to play but they had given up 10 minutes in, that’s a big problem.

Totally agree with dlarry.  Charlie Brown broke the spirit of of a team who hangs their hat on defense.  No matter what Bess did in the first half, Brown stuck jumper after jumper in his face.  And the other Hawks fed off of Brown.  We all should have known that St. Joe's was going to be looking for blood after Isabell's display at the end of last game.  I just didn't know it would be this bad.

Zink likes this

I didn’t think we ever gave up; every bit of momentum we gathered was pushed back with them drilling a few shots to maintain the margin.  I kept waiting for that mini run to get it to 7; then I liked our chances.  Kudos to a great shooting nite for them & on to the next game.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

When you get torched, there isn’t much you can do. As long as the effort is there, and no one is taking plays off or pouting, you acknowledge you got torched and move on.

When we got torched by FSU, I saw Gordon quit on three different plays and knew he was giving up on the team. A game or two later, he was toast.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

Giving up 91 and losing by 30 to a top 20 team is one thing losing like this to St. Joe is another.

I can see SLU losing to an emotional St. Joe team but not by 30.  Our team looked tired and injured but how can you not be prepared when you played St. Joe a couple weeks ago I do not buy that we got whipped.

Our team is too thin, tired and injured and all I can hope for is to win 20 games, winning record in the A10 and a couple wins in the A10 tournament to build momentum for recruiting and next season.  

slufan13 likes this

6 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

When you get torched, there isn’t much you can do. As long as the effort is there, and no one is taking plays off or pouting, you acknowledge you got torched and move on.

When we got torched by FSU, I saw Gordon quit on three different plays and knew he was giving up on the team. A game or two later, he was toast.

What plays do you think Gordon quit on in the FSU game? IMO he was the best Billiken in the court in that game with what he did on both ends.

The ones where he was the last person back after a missed shot, a turnover, and a bad pass. 

On the missed shot, Bess shot a look at him as Bess sprinted back, and Gordon half heartedly trotted back after, twenty feet behind his assignment.

It was a set of stunts that I’m sure drew the ire of Bess, because he talked to Gordon after the game about effort on every single play, from start to finish.