GDT @ Flappy Birds

41 minutes ago, Westy03 said:

Speaking of injuries if Jacobs is truly cleared by the staff to play and hes deciding to sit out even when we are this short-handed I would be tempted just to send him home.  What the heck is going on with him?

Assuming he’s cleared, can you imagine what his teammates playing through injuries think?  Definitely an odd situation. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I believe I heard during the postgame interview that Bess would probably go only in games for the rest of the season.  That means he won't participate in practice anymore?

Achilles tendonitis, which is what the announcers were saying ails Bess, requires rest to  heal. True, he can have a lydocaine and steroids cocktail injected at the trigger point and play, but this will not help him heal properly. If Ford trusts Bess' ability enough, it is reasonable to tell him to skip practice and rest the foot for as long as possible before playing. He could also play him only in games against the better opponents left.

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

Assuming he’s cleared, can you imagine what his teammates playing through injuries think?  Definitely an odd situation. 

Has Jacobs played at all this semester?  Does he gain any additional eligibility by sitting if he transfers?  I don't think so but I am not really familiar with the rules.

53 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Achilles tendonitis, which is what the announcers were saying ails Bess, requires rest to  heal. True, he can have a lydocaine and steroids cocktail injected at the trigger point and play, but this will not help him heal properly. If Ford trusts Bess' ability enough, it is reasonable to tell him to skip practice and rest the foot for as long as possible before playing. He could also play him only in games against the better opponents left.

If this is a chronic issue, which it likely is, there’s likely no acute inflammatory process and he’s suffering from tendonopathy or tendonosis. If that’s the case, research indicates good outcomes with stretching and proper symptom free concentric and eccentric loading strategies. If no inflammation is present then NSAIDs or anti-inflammatory medications/injections need not be indicated as they may have an adverse effect on the collagen repair processes. Hopefully he is seeking consult from the staff physical therapist.

dennis_w likes this

2 hours ago, Westy03 said:

Speaking of injuries if Jacobs is truly cleared by the staff to play and hes deciding to sit out even when we are this short-handed I would be tempted just to send him home.  What the heck is going on with him?

Agree. And if he wasn't cleared, Ford may want to clarify that asap

Glory days effect. I mentioned the Jacobs situation was ducky last week and got ganged on by the board. 

I am still very concerned about this team. We went from a top 10 defense to maybe top 60 and let St. Joes beat us by 30. Dayton was a hell of a surprise but St. Joes sealed the deal that this team is going nowhere this year. 

The only good thing that can happen this year is if Bess was in the NBA and stayed active with the team while successful and some off season recruiting magic.

This conference title was ours to lose at the beginning of the season and we lost from within before it even started 

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

Glory days effect. I mentioned the Jacobs situation was ducky last week and got ganged on by the board. 

I am still very concerned about this team. We went from a top 10 defense to maybe top 60 and let St. Joes beat us by 30. Dayton was a hell of a surprise but St. Joes sealed the deal that this team is going nowhere this year. 

The only good thing that can happen this year is if Bess was in the NBA and stayed active with the team while successful and some off season recruiting magic.

This conference title was ours to lose at the beginning of the season and we lost from within before it even started 

You’re completely clueless.

45 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

A legend in his own mind. When you make enough stupid predictions and inferences you’ll get one right eventually. Never mind the fact that you were COMPLETELY off on your preseason assessment of this team. 

What you still have yet to grasp are the social norms and expectations of this message board. People might agree with you about demarius but it’s always been a bit taboo to speculate about potential transfers mid season but you missed that because you dove head first into the shallow end of this message board. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

A legend in his own mind. When you make enough stupid predictions and inferences you’ll get one right eventually. Never mind the fact that you were COMPLETELY off on your preseason assessment of this team. 

What you still have yet to grasp are the social norms and expectations of this message board. People might agree with you about demarius but it’s always been a bit taboo to speculate about potential transfers mid season but you missed that because you dove head first into the shallow end of this message board. 

My self and all of the basketball community was off on our prediction of this team. And everyone said I was crazy when I said Jacobs was acting weird last week and I got shat on by the board and called crazy then one week later everyone says the same thing 

18 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

My self and all of the basketball community was off on our prediction of this team. And everyone said I was crazy when I said Jacobs was acting weird last week and I got shat on by the board and called crazy then one week later everyone says the same thing 

Again you’re not paying attention. Nobody cares if you were right or wrong. It’s common practice on this board to refrain from discussing potential offseason departures. 

10 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Does anyone know the story on Jacobs? Supposed he's been cleared to play for a couple weeks. Ford seemed puzzled by it a couple of weeks ago.

It seems to me like a Billikens.com urban legend.  I doubt anyone has determined that Jacobs is able to go and play effectively — as effectively as he can be as a wiry freshman.

Coach Ford said on his show a couple of weeks ago that the swelling had gone down and it seemed to him that Jacobs should be able to get back to action on that basis, but the results when Jacobs tried to go showed otherwise (paraphrasing).  I believe the kid has shin splints, which don't heal as quickly as one would like.  The initial "diagnosis" was an ankle sprain, but I've seen Wiz's injury report saying "shin."

Leave it to the Billikens.community to see a conspiracy when they don't know the whole story.  And stuff gets repeated so many times that it becomes "fact" in people's minds, even though it isn't.

slufanskip likes this

On 2/9/2019 at 11:16 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Leave it to the Billikens.community to see a conspiracy when they don't know the whole story.  And stuff gets repeated so many times that it becomes "fact" in people's minds, even though it isn't.

In the spirit of Occam's Razor, Schrodinger's Cat, et al, I propose we call these situations "Pearson's Grandma."

CBFan, SLU_Nick and Pistol like this

On 2/9/2019 at 11:16 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It seems to me like a Billikens.com urban legend.  I doubt anyone has determined that Jacobs is able to go and play effectively — as effectively as he can be as a wiry freshman.

Coach Ford said on his show a couple of weeks ago that the swelling had gone down and it seemed to him that Jacobs should be able to get back to action on that basis, but the results when Jacobs tried to go showed otherwise (paraphrasing).  I believe the kid has shin splints, which don't heal as quickly as one would like.  The initial "diagnosis" was an ankle sprain, but I've seen Wiz's injury report saying "shin."

Ford said he was cleared.

Odd that you chastise the board for promoting conspiracy theories then suggest a new unsubstantiated theory. 

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 11:16 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Ford said that doctors and trainers cleared Jacobs to play. He said he doesn't exactly know what's going on other than that but please talk more about a story YOU don't know about.

On 2/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, kmbilliken said:

Does anyone know the story on Jacobs? Supposed he's been cleared to play for a couple weeks. Ford seemed puzzled by it a couple of weeks ago.

I will go ahead and propose my own conspiracy theory. The injury happened on Jan. 19 right at the start of the second semester.  He may be trying to pull a Keith Carter and make the case that he is missing the second semester due to injury. Then when he transfers, he will try to become eligible second semester of next year.

Looks likely a 5th scholarship will open up. Bring on the grad transfers and JUCOs.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I will go ahead and propose my own conspiracy theory. The injury happened on Jan. 19 right at the start of the second semester.  He may be trying to pull a Keith Carter and make the case that he is missing the second semester due to injury. Then when he transfers, he will try to become eligible second semester of next year.

Looks likely a 5th scholarship will open up. Bring on the grad transfers and JUCOs.

Cool

at this point with our track record on Grad transfers, it seems the only value is if you want to "bank a scholarship" and you can find a Grad transfer willing to eagerly be the faithful practice player and cheerleader, grab him and you still have your scholarship for the following year.   thus far it seems to me that anthony was the closest thing to a 'success" among our grad transfers.   not so much for isabell and wiley.  

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

at this point with our track record on Grad transfers, it seems the only value is if you want to "bank a scholarship" and you can find a Grad transfer willing to eagerly be the faithful practice player and cheerleader, grab him and you still have your scholarship for the following year.   thus far it seems to me that anthony was the closest thing to a 'success" among our grad transfers.   not so much for isabell and wiley.  

I would take the Isabell equivalent of a grad transfer big man in a heartbeat.  

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I would take the Isabell equivalent of a grad transfer big man in a heartbeat.  

Agreed. Many people on this board were convinced we were going to likely be a Tourney team BEFORE Isabell and Wiley signed. Now apparently they are big reasons why this season has been a disappointment?

Righting off an entire category of player (grad transfers) just because you don't like the way a couple of them have performed is really short-sighted. I would have been thrilled if we landed Justin Coleman (who visited) or a player like Mooney at Texas Tech.

This season would have been a LOT worse, without the two grad transfers. A lot of more of Jacobs and Thor would have been better?

26 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

While Wiley and Isabell have been disappointing we would be in a hell of a mess without them. 

Wiley was a perfect fit on paper as a grad transfer. He just hasn't been healthy and that's a risk we knew when he came on. I thought Isabell was another great fit as a complimentary ball-handler and as an off-ball scorer. I thought the big mistake there was giving him the keys to the offense early in the season. I think he's been a lot better since Goodwin took over the offense.

Grad transfers are all about being the right fit and being utilized in the right way. Realistically, we aren't going to get the type of impact grad transfer who fills a major hole but we have some serious depth roles to fill next year and getting a grad transfer big man who can play 20 mpg would be a huge get. I would really like to see Collins, Hargrove, and Jimmerson get looks at the backcourt/wing positions over a grad transfer, but unless Ford is willing to play 4 guards/wings all season, we need at least one impact guy in the frontcourt. 

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Spring classes started 1/14. He played on 1/15 and 1/18. He's appeared in 15 games total. I'm pretty sure he's missed his chance to be a mid-season transfer, even via waiver.