Dayton from da'Couch .................

Taj79

I'd be much more excited and positive with Hankton if he actually stayed healthy as cincy says.  The kid is miles ahead of anything Jacobs has to offer.  And I thin he has a place going forward ..... with, again, the #1 goal NOT being the next Welmer.  Injuries happen but given our endless defections having four walking wounded really sucks. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

hes pretty much a one trick pony viewed as a sniper by many on this board, even though he is shooting only 28% from the 3 point line.   

And as small as he is, he is rebounding at a little better rate than Gordon did and he isn't too far off from Foreman. And defends the perimeter better than the other forwards we have. (Gordon was the best). Hankton (and Jacobs) are allowed to get better just like every other college basketball player. They two have played under 200 minutes combined in their career. Lots of interesting hot takes based on very minimal evidence.

4 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

And as small as he is, he is rebounding at a little better rate than Gordon did and he isn't too far off from Foreman. And defends the perimeter better than the other forwards we have. (Gordon was the best). Hankton (and Jacobs) are allowed to get better just like every other college basketball player. They two have played under 200 minutes combined in their career. Lots of interesting hot takes based on very minimal evidence.

a lot of his success tends to occur because the opponent is ignoring him to cover bess and french.   if he would make a few more of those open 3's maybe it opens french and bess up more for their successes which will prove far more fruitful than hankton.   i will bank on perkins, or hargrove or bigs to be named later with our 4 open scholarships than bank on hankton to be a contributor next season.   meanwhile i do hope he maintains what success he is having to finish the season.   

19 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a lot of his success tends to occur because the opponent is ignoring him to cover bess and french.   if he would make a few more of those open 3's maybe it opens french and bess up more for their successes which will prove far more fruitful than hankton.   i will bank on perkins, or hargrove or bigs to be named later with our 4 open scholarships than bank on hankton to be a contributor next season.   meanwhile i do hope he maintains what success he is having to finish the season.   

I agree I hope the new guys are better because it means the team is better. The more talent we can bring in, the less rebuilding we have to do. Bringing in more freshmen will most likely mean it's a rebuilding year.

The first sentence is literally made up though haha. He really only has scored off of pick and pops and offensive rebounds (which are just effort points).

I agree I hope the new guys are better because it means the team is better. The more talent we can bring in, the less rebuilding we have to do. Bringing in more freshmen will most likely mean it's a rebuilding year.

The first sentence is literally made up though haha. He really only has scored off of pick and pops and offensive rebounds (which are just effort points).

of his total points, 18 are from 3's and 10 are of the variety you describe.   well unless there were a number of long rebounds out to the 3 point line. 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

of his total points, 18 are from 3's and 10 are of the variety you describe.   well unless there were a number of long rebounds out to the 3 point line. 

Which would mean about 6 of his 34 points at the most could come from "being ignored" this year. Hankton is playing fine this year and will be fine in the future. 

Which would mean about 6 of his 34 points at the most could come from "being ignored" this year. Hankton is playing fine this year and will be fine in the future. 

6=18?   new math

7 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

A lot depends on Perkins.  If he can be a volume scorer right away, then you're looking at Thatch, Goodwin and French as returning contributors and only one starting spot that needs to be filled by a freshman.  Three freshmen coming off the bench isn't any worse a situation than we're in this year.  And one of those freshmen is a 50/40/85 guy against really good high school competition.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

6=18?   new math

Lol sorry I'll go slower for you.

He has only 34 points all year. 

6 from free throws

18 from 3s. He has hit his threes off of pick and pops.

There's only 10 points left. Even if he only has 4 points from offensive rebounds, there's only 6 points left where the other coach told his team to not guard Hankton.

16 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Welmer is 6-9.  I think he means that Hankton won't play much, just as Welmer hasn't, if he doesn't manage to withstand the physical part of the game.

They are two different types of players. It’s an apples to oranges comparison. The only reason he’s spent so much time playing in the post is necessity. Also comparing a player with a history of non contact injuries to a player who has just been banged up is weird 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

A lot depends on Perkins.  If he can be a volume scorer right away, then you're looking at Thatch, Goodwin and French as returning contributors and only one starting spot that needs to be filled by a freshman.  Three freshmen coming off the bench isn't any worse a situation than we're in this year.  And one of those freshmen is a 50/40/85 guy against really good high school competition.

The problem comes that if we take a step back and everyone else in the conference is getting better it becomes a rebuilding year. I think the following year will be the year we are back and fully loaded with a balanced roster. I might be in the minority in not wanting to take all freshmen and Perkins this upcoming year. I'd like to see us get another transfer (juco or grad) that is eligible to play next year.

Most of the top half of the conference are just as thin as we are.  They may have slightly better starting fives, but their benches are even weaker than ours in some cases.  Dayton and VCU will have a lot of depth.  Everybody else, not so much. And without adding a single additional player, we've already got the top-ranked recruiting class in the A-10. The 247 site has us ranked #2 but they're not counting Perkins because he's a juco.

I'm confident that Coach will take a grad transfer in the spring.  We've got four scholarships open and no coach in his right mind wants to deal with 6-7 freshmen.   I just don't believe he will take multiple transfers, based on his recent radio interview.  

I think Coach Ford should want to have at least two scholarships available for the 2020 class; that basically means leaving some unfilled this summer or getting two grad transfers this spring or "encouraging" a couple of guys currently on the squad to leave.

I know there are always transfers — the whole of Div. 1 averages over two transfers per school per year — and coaches never stop recruiting as a result (even when at the limit), but a bona fide open scholarship is better than "banking" on having one open up.  And it's better to get the guys you want by November than pick through leftovers in April and May.

28 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

The problem comes that if we take a step back and everyone else in the conference is getting better it becomes a rebuilding year. I think the following year will be the year we are back and fully loaded with a balanced roster. I might be in the minority in not wanting to take all freshmen and Perkins this upcoming year. I'd like to see us get another transfer (juco or grad) that is eligible to play next year.

I'm with you. The aversion of some to GT's is odd. Next year's roster is at stands is screaming for one or two. It balances the classes and will give the freshmen one more year to develop, instead of being thrown into the fire.

billikenfan05 and Cincybill like this

43 minutes ago, Cincybill said:

Lol sorry I'll go slower for you.

He has only 34 points all year. 

6 from free throws

18 from 3s. He has hit his threes off of pick and pops.

There's only 10 points left. Even if he only has 4 points from offensive rebounds, there's only 6 points left where the other coach told his team to not guard Hankton.

He has not made all his 3's off of "pick and pops".  

Mr hankton you have a nice son tho and i fo appreciate his efforts

18 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I think Coach Ford should want to have at least two scholarships available for the 2020 class; that basically means leaving some unfilled this summer or getting two grad transfers this spring or "encouraging" a couple of guys currently on the squad to leave.

I know there are always transfers — the whole of Div. 1 averages over two transfers per school per year — and coaches never stop recruiting as a result (even when at the limit), but a bona fide open scholarship is better than "banking" on having one open up.  And it's better to get the guys you want by November than pick through leftovers in April and May.

Signing one grad transfer and banking one scholarship would do it. Those would be your two scholarships in 2020. At least one player will transfer in the next 12 months due to lack of playing time, opening up a third scholarship in the following spring.

29 minutes ago, ACE said:

I'm with you. The aversion of some to GT's is odd. Next year's roster is at stands is screaming for one or two. It balances the classes and will give the freshmen one more year to develop, instead of being thrown into the fire.

Yeah it makes no sense. I completely agree though. We need a veteran true point guard and a polished 4 or 5 for next year. That will allow our role players to be what they are while our underclassmen continue to develop.

On paper we don't really have a freshman that looks "starter for conference champ team ready." We also don't have a proven go to scorer so a true point guard would take pressure off of everyone from having to do too much. If we can't find the no brainer transfers I also wouldn't want to reach and get a transfer that doesn't help either. If we have to develop a player, I'd go high school kid.

Yeah it makes no sense. I completely agree though. We need a veteran true point guard and a polished 4 or 5 for next year. That will allow our role players to be what they are while our underclassmen continue to develop.

On paper we don't really have a freshman that looks "starter for conference champ team ready." We also don't have a proven go to scorer so a true point guard would take pressure off of everyone from having to do too much. If we can't find the no brainer transfers I also wouldn't want to reach and get a transfer that doesn't help either. If we have to develop a player, I'd go high school kid.

If you want to improve your chances of finding a polished 4 or 5, bite the bullet and sign a two year transfer. That's what Santos was. Didn't work out but it wasn't for basketball reasons.

As for a veteran true point guard, those guys are more readily available in the grad transfer market. I just don't think it's worth stunting the growth of your freshman point guard just so you can win two more games. And it's not like Yuri has never played with these guys before. The St. Louis kids have been playing with/against each other forever.

17 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you want to improve your chances of finding a polished 4 or 5, bite the bullet and sign a two year transfer. That's what Santos was. Didn't work out but it wasn't for basketball reasons.

As for a veteran true point guard, those guys are more readily available in the grad transfer market. I just don't think it's worth stunting the growth of your freshman point guard just so you can win two more games. And it's not like Yuri has never played with these guys before. The St. Louis kids have been playing with/against each other forever.

I guess for me in regards to the point guard, it just depends if you're trying to win now or win long term. If you get all the other pieces and you think you are a point guard away from competing for the conference, you do it in my opinion. If you only finish with high school kids and you can't find a difference making point guard, you go young and build for the future.