Dayton from da'Couch .................

Taj79

.......... such a restful experience.  I guess that is what happens when you set no expectations for the game.  Prior to tip, I was thinking 'Dayton minus-10' and ready to take all comers.  Luckily, I still own the house today.

This was certainly a team win.  Everybody did their part and did great.  The fast start by the obvious unexpected star of DJ Foreman set the tone.  I felt we punched them in the mouth for the first ten minutes to the tune of 17 to 4.  They countered, as any team should, but we stopped the bleeding at 22 to 14 and ran away with the half from there.  Only the closing first half run, and second half start, which got them back to a manageable 7-point deficit raised concern and gave them hope.  But we belayed that emotion and took over from there to the tune that they rarely got it below ten the rest of the way.  A laugher ..... if you can ever describe the Bills having such a game.

For Dayton, Cunningham appeared 'off.'  As I said, short of layups and dunks, Toppin ain't THAT good.  Combined they shot 41% and while I wish we had held the 'nation's leader dunker' dunkless, his lone one at the end is like Charlie Brown getting his lone field goal at the end of the Joeys game.  Toppin doesn't venture outside five feet and I liked how DJ Foreman and others took the game to him.  I recall Foreman and French blocking him but Thatch stuffing him in the second half was also enjoyable.  They are the only reason Dayton is #5 in the nation in FG%.  Jordan Davis went his streaky way south ---- shooting zip-for-2 and scoring no points.  Not surprised.  Ryan Mikesell got hot at the start of the second half but fizzled ---- he tallied sevenof his nine points there and that was all he had.  Crutcher is a decent pass-first point but don't miss out on the fact he went 5-for-15 and 1-of-6 from three.  Really only thing that kept Dayton alive was getting 7 and 8 points from Cohill and Landers off the bench.  And Landers is dirty ---- I understand his brother is a big football stud at tOSU and he threw enough forearm shivers on both offense and defense to tally five fouls.  None were called.

For us, besides Foreman, I though Tramaine Isabell had as complete a game as he's ever had here.  And that was shooting like sh!t --- 3-of-10 and 0-of-4 from three.  Where has his shot gone?  Did he ever have one?  But he dropped some of the prettiest assists, made his free throws, played decent defense, rebounded, and played team ball the whole way.  In retrospect, maybe the dual fouls on both French and Bess in the first half gave us breathing room in the second.  This was good for an injured Bess plus there was no one really on Dayton that we needed him to shut down.  Thatch was great!  Look at his line ---- he missed one shot, grabbed seven boards, with three on the offensive end, and the block of Toppin visually sums it up.  

On the down side, we barely improved at the line going at 62.5%, we were horrible from three again (except Thatch) and Goodwin is rushing his shots which sucks because they are all mostly "bunnies" in nature.The 'floaters' that dropped against Rhodey didn't last night.  But his lone make ---- that three --- was a much needed dagger at the time.  And DJ missed 7 free throws.  Together, DJ and Hasahn shot 35% (6-of-17) from the line; everyone else was perfect (except Goodwin's third of three).

Hope springs eternal and we sit currently sixth in the A10.  Big games tonight as Rhodey (+5) visits Davidson; Mason (-1.5) visits Richmond; VCU (-7) is at Foggy Bottom; and Duquesne hosts Bonaventure (+2).  And Fordham (+5.5) is at Umass.  The swing games for us are Rhodey and Duquesne ---- I'd like to see both lose.  The aim now is Top Four.  Given the schedule, I don't think anyone will catch Davidson.  Our home schedule is such that I can see winning out.  That would be 3 more wins and 9 and 4.  If we can beat the Joeys, Geedubya and the Bonnies, I think 12 wins will do it.  But those are big IFs.  And we are never really out of games so Dayton and VCU are possible, but I have little confidence there right now.  These next two road games are amplified.  

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-someone else mentioned FTJr's ability to keep plays alive and that was amplified last night, plus he manages to tip in a basket or two each game, him and JGood on the offensive boards is really fun to watch and must just piss the heck out of our opponents, good

-to me the big deal now is what we do with last night, was this a one game wonder or do we travel with it? we'll know at about 8pm CT Friday

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-someone else mentioned FTJr's ability to keep plays alive and that was amplified last night, plus he manages to tip in a basket or two each game, him and JGood on the offensive boards is really fun to watch and must just piss the heck out of our opponents, good

-to me the big deal now is what we do with last night, was this a one game wonder or do we travel with it? we'll know at about 8pm CT Friday

It is only a matter of time before Thatch throws down a dunk that leaves us all saying holy .

Box and Won and Pistol like this

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is only a matter of time before Thatch throws down a dunk that leaves us all saying holy .

every game before they go to the lockerroom for the pregame last talk, thatch and french put on a dunk show.   i would encourage each of you to get to the games early to watch.   

1 minute ago, willie said:

I agree with Taj about Isabell. I thought that was his best game as a Billiken. Our ball movement was much better and I think he was the reason. 

Dayton also did us a favor by playing the majority of the game man to man.  Our offense is much better suited against man to man.  

DirtyRican likes this

Grant is strictly a man-to-man guy.  Even when he/they did zone, we pounded them on the boards.  Just finished reading "Flyer Nation" over on Facebook.  Sounded a lot like us.  A lot of dumping on Grant.

56 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Grant is strictly a man-to-man guy.  Even when he/they did zone, we pounded them on the boards.  Just finished reading "Flyer Nation" over on Facebook.  Sounded a lot like us.  A lot of dumping on Grant.

-SVU down 12 or so with under 4minutes and we could stand by the half court line with no on-ball pressure, while thanking him I didn't understand the thinking

-we'll see what changes for Feb 23 at their place

I could not believe the “no pressure” decision either. I would have slapped a full court press on for five minutes in the first half, and the first five minutes of the second half. I also would have told Dayton to get wild and crazy with attempted fast breaks at every chance, Jack threes, and mix in a four corners offense for a couple minutes at a time.

thirty minutes into the game, Bess would be shot with his bad wheel, and all the SLU guards would have lost their legs.

sometimes you need to run a game plan that pulverizes a a team with a short bench, and we had the shortest bench I have ever seen in conference.

2 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I could not believe the “no pressure” decision either. I would have slapped a full court press on for five minutes in the first half, and the first five minutes of the second half. I also would have told Dayton to get wild and crazy with attempted fast breaks at every chance, Jack threes, and mix in a four corners offense for a couple minutes at a time.

thirty minutes into the game, Bess would be shot with his bad wheel, and all the SLU guards would have lost their legs.

sometimes you need to run a game plan that pulverizes a a team with a short bench, and we had the shortest bench I have ever seen in conference.

i agree grant is obviously not a good x and o guy.  

-the no press/pressure had me thinking some more so I looked at kenpom and SVU gets 22.1% of their minutes from the bench, 336th, we get 24.2% from our bench, 316th, so we are both in the bottom 12.5% of bench minutes so I guess Grant was thinking can't be what we're not but he was losing so I would think you try something

17 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i agree grant is obviously not a good x and o guy.  

Not going to defend opposing team coaches... but as it relates to us - as well as others (and not just limited to college basketball), is there not a philosophy that a certain team will dominate its will upon the other?  (Grant will play man to man against us even if we do much better handling that as compared to zone defenses?) That it will dictate the style and flow of the game?  That consistency of its own style of play (and cutting down errors in executing it) is the preferred way to go ?  especially long term?  And that adjusting your own game, your own style, your own personnel to cause match up issues for the other team may not be in your team's best interest?  especially long term?  Is that not being a good x's and o's  Are coaches who do not make such adjustments bad x's and o's guys?

To me, the best coach I personally have watched is RM.  Great x's and o's guy.   My biggest initial question was:  what combinations, style of play, etc. would RM do differently than Brad?  Turns out, RM did not try to maximize wins early.  RM did not try to adjust to his personnel -- and very good personnel at that with Lisch and Liddell.  I believe that Brad would have won more games than RM that first year.  No way would a Brad team score only 20 points vs. GW.  But long term, Brad was not the answer and RM proved his genius - long term.

23 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Not going to defend opposing team coaches... but as it relates to us - as well as others (and not just limited to college basketball), is there not a philosophy that a certain team will dominate its will upon the other?  (Grant will play man to man against us even if we do much better handling that as compared to zone defenses?) That it will dictate the style and flow of the game?  That consistency of its own style of play (and cutting down errors in executing it) is the preferred way to go ?  especially long term?  And that adjusting your own game, your own style, your own personnel to cause match up issues for the other team may not be in your team's best interest?  especially long term?  Is that not being a good x's and o's  Are coaches who do not make such adjustments bad x's and o's guys?

To me, the best coach I personally have watched is RM.  Great x's and o's guy.   My biggest initial question was:  what combinations, style of play, etc. would RM do differently than Brad?  Turns out, RM did not try to maximize wins early.  RM did not try to adjust to his personnel -- and very good personnel at that with Lisch and Liddell.  I believe that Brad would have won more games than RM that first year.  No way would a Brad team score only 20 points vs. GW.  But long term, Brad was not the answer and RM proved his genius - long term.

I got to pretty much agree with this on Anthony. Plus, Dayton has lost a decent sized group of players to transfers and turning pro.  Anthony seems to have weathered that storm pretty well and has them in good shape heading into next season when some reinforcements become eligible.  He is getting above average results this season while sticking to what is best long term for his program.

5 hours ago, slu72 said:

It was mentioned he has 3 transfers coming in from P5 schools next season. Flyers will be good again. Best coach in A10 is McKillop. His team's have same kind of discipline as Rick's. 

The only important Flyer who graduates is Cunningham.  Who might transfer out is always an unknown.  He has a 6'11" who played at Nebraska sitting on the bench.  Also sitting out is  guard from Michigan and another guard from Chattanooga.  A big part of Dayton's future will depend on what Toppin does.

The A10 will be good again next season.  Rhode Island brings back just about everyone, Davidson brings back all of their significant contributors, McKillop will likely find another foreign gem-he always does, VCU has most of their team coming back, same with Duquesne.  Transfers in and out are totally unknown and can wreck or elevate a program.

Dayton has four transfers sitting out, all three will be juniors next year:  6'1" two-star PG Rodney Chatman from Chattanooga; 6'5" three-star SG Ibi Watson from Michigan and 6'11" former three-star C Jordy Tshimanga from Nebraksa.  In addition, they also have 6'8" three-star SF Chase Johnson coming in as a sophomore from Florida except he was a mid-season transfer so he likely won't eligible until second semester if he goes the usual one-year sit-out route.  They do lose only Cunningham from their roster and also gain back the services of all NE JUCO guard Jhery Matos who went out for the year after an injury.  So far, they have one LOI for next year, 6'9" PF three-star Moulaye Sissoko, from Mali via Lincoln Academy in Maine. 

Matos wasn't exactly lighting it up before he went down.  In six games played, he was playing about a half and making a three pointer.  He might give them depth at best next year.  Tshimanga didn't do too, too much at Nebraska, averaging 5 and 4 ppg his first two years.  But he will likely be a beast in A10 play and might dominate.  Watson threw down 2.2 and 1.3 in his two years at Michigan.  Meh.  Johnson played in only two games this year at Florida so given the NCAA's looseness with waiver, who knows if he gets to  plays the whole year.  He scored six points all this year before the injury.  Chatman was pretty good .. averaging first 12 then 13 in his two years at Chattanooga.    So it remains to be seen.

But if Toppin stays, adding Tshimanga and Sissoko and Johnson will be nice.  Plus they keep Ryan Mikesell and Trey Landers.  That's six deep.  You keep the starting guards in Crutcher and Davis, add Cohill and a healthy Matos, plus Watson and Chatman and Dayton, on paper looks pretty damn good. 

Handicapping the race for next year now, Davidson loses nothing.  All they can do is add.  Unless Grady goes pro.  VCU has one senior who plays sparingly, GT Michael Gilmore.  They are all back.  Dayton we talked about.  Mason will lose Livingstone and Grayer unless Grayer tries to get another year back.  He's only made seven games this year due to injury.  Duquesne loses no one.  The Bonnies lose senior frontliners Stockard and Griffin but they seem to have enough in the stable to overcome that.  Yes, Rhode Island has everyone back but they aren't doing much outside of Dowtin; Langevine is inconsistent and Russell is also soph-slumping.  Geedubya will have all back.  Ditto St. Joe's except for Clover.  Richmond has no seniors and Sherrod will be back.  Fordham is all youngsters.  Only Umass is suspect.  And then there's us.  In the above analysis, I only see Mason and Rhodey as somewhat suspect.  And us. 

And Toppin to the NBA?  I don't think so.  Guy has shown no propensity to do anything but dunk.  What is he?  Kostas 2.0?  Kostas hasn't seen a stitch of playing time despite being drafted.  You just saw Toppin Tuesday night --- set a pick, bluff a pick, dive to the rim and wave for an alley-oop.  That's it.  I don't think he has half the hops Kostas had frankly.  Now, stay four years, and he'll be Chris Wilcox or Joe Smith.  Get a game out to 15 feet.  Need to make people have to guard you so the throw downs are more dramatic and easier to achieve.

52 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

And Toppin to the NBA?  I don't think so.  Guy has shown no propensity to do anything but dunk.  What is he?  Kostas 2.0?  Kostas hasn't seen a stitch of playing time despite being drafted.  You just saw Toppin Tuesday night --- set a pick, bluff a pick, dive to the rim and wave for an alley-oop.  That's it.  I don't think he has half the hops Kostas had frankly.  Now, stay four years, and he'll be Chris Wilcox or Joe Smith.  Get a game out to 15 feet.  Need to make people have to guard you so the throw downs are more dramatic and easier to achieve.

well the nba for the last couple of decades has been all about potential.   and you can bet they look at this guy's size, build, athleticism and they think he might become the next greek freak

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

well the nba for the last couple of decades has been all about potential.   and you can bet they look at this guy's size, build, athleticism and they think he might become the next greek freak

100% correct. According to Coach Ford, the NBA is looking at Toppin.  His size, his reach, his athleticism all are attractive.  Chances are very high he will declare and then get evaluated and make his decision. 

Kostas is making $77,250 on a two way contract with the Mavericks. He is on their G League roster, the Legends. He has plenty of time to develop. 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

100% correct. According to Coach Ford, the NBA is looking at Toppin.  His size, his reach, his athleticism all are attractive.  Chances are very high he will declare and then get evaluated and make his decision. 

Kostas is making $77,250 on a two way contract with the Mavericks. He is on their G League roster, the Legends. He has plenty of time to develop. 

Kostas on the Mavs roster to possibly attract his brother.