GDT: Arch Baron Cup 2k19

Littlebill

6 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

We could tell you but then we'd have to kill you.........

I don't know the shoes personally but the family's been supporting the Billikens since before your troll heart started beating......

I don't care if we would have lost every game up to this point if you're a Billiken fan and you're not watching a game against UD. That's a little weird IMO.

Littlebill likes this

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

It was a GREAT foul by DJ.  You DO NOT want Toppin to do anything with dunks, it ignites Dayton and plays to his strength.  Knock him into the front row.  He ain't that good.

It was great watching Thatch play against him in the post.  Thatch out rebounded and denied him the ball a lot.  When I saw that mismatch at first I thought for sure we were in trouble.  But Toppin looked bad against him.

Just now, Slowry said:

It was great watching Thatch play against him in the post.  Thatch out rebounded and denied him the ball a lot.  When I saw that mismatch at first I thought for sure we were in trouble.  But Toppin looked bad against him.

He was so much more active than Toppin. It was effort he was putting forth in defending him was at such a high level, Obi had no chance.

obi is not an nba draft choice at this point imo.   of course i said the same thing about duane wade after watch josh fisher dominate him back in the day.   

I was sitting in the stands and watching a game that made no sense to all the supposed bad chemistry that has been written about on this team.  I saw players who played hard, enthusiastic, and showed genuine support for each other.  Whatever was dogging this team did not show itself last night.  Foreman played with an attitude that we have not seen at all this year - my question is simply is his emotional view of himself so low that if he gets so down he simply can not perform? - if so then whose fault is that - his or Ford.  All teams go through a dead period sometime during the season - ours came after that devastating loss to Davidson.  It just seemed to take the air out of us.  Did Ford wait too long to intercede - who knows - trying to figure out when the right time is to act is not always easy or so cut and dry.  I guess we won't know what last night means until the next game.

17 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Thatch!

Ah-ah!

He'll save every one of us.

He's for every one of us
Stand for every one of us

He saves with a mighty hand

Every man, every woman, every child, it's the mighty Thatch

This board really needs someone that can produce parody songs. 

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I was sitting in the stands and watching a game that made no sense to all the supposed bad chemistry that has been written about on this team.  I saw players who played hard, enthusiastic, and showed genuine support for each other.  Whatever was dogging this team did not show itself last night.  Foreman played with an attitude that we have not seen at all this year - my question is simply is his emotional view of himself so low that if he gets so down he simply can not perform? - if so then whose fault is that - his or Ford.  All teams go through a dead period sometime during the season - ours came after that devastating loss to Davidson.  It just seemed to take the air out of us.  Did Ford wait too long to intercede - who knows - trying to figure out when the right time is to act is not always easy or so cut and dry.  I guess we won't know what last night means until the next game.

I think Ford addressed this about Foreman in the post game show.  If you can find the audio it’s worth a listen.

Just now, Slowry said:

I think Ford addressed this about Foreman in the post game show.  If you can find the audio it’s worth a listen.

I heard the show - my comment was meant to point to that maybe Foreman needs to man up when things don't go his way.  Why does Ford have to always take the monkey on his back for some player who gets down and does not perform.  Emotional strength is a key to ones success in life.

Cincybill likes this

10 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I heard the show - my comment was meant to point to that maybe Foreman needs to man up when things don't go his way.  Why does Ford have to always take the monkey on his back for some player who gets down and does not perform.  Emotional strength is a key to ones success in life.

Maybe because these are 18-22 year old people and that’s what, in part, a college coach’s job is. 

willie and Zink like this

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

a good leader (aka coach) knows how to motivate his troops.   especially when he only has 7 to worry about.  a lot of times, especially when dealing with young men with little life experience yet, it takes a little individual attention and advice/care.   seems to me ford did the right thing........(finally) by having the man to man talk and promising to change his ways and give foreman the chance to prove himself.   

to put the past on foreman knowing now that even ford admits he mishandled foreman is simply wrong.   as an ex administrator, i hope you handled your troops better than your above expectations of "foreman should have just manned up".   

TheA_Bomb likes this

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

a good leader (aka coach) knows how to motivate his troops.   especially when he only has 7 to worry about.  a lot of times, especially when dealing with young men with little life experience yet, it takes a little individual attention and advice/care.   seems to me ford did the right thing........(finally) by having the man to man talk and promising to change his ways and give foreman the chance to prove himself.   

to put the past on foreman knowing now that even ford admits he mishandled foreman is simply wrong.   as an ex administrator, i hope you handled your troops better than your above expectations of "foreman should have just manned up".   

Knowing when to pat some one on the back and knowing when to practice tough love is the responsibility of a leader.  I understand that these players are young but at some point everybody else can not take the responsibility for how that person feels.  Foreman is a 5th year senior so he should be under most circumstances out on his own working for someone who probably is not going to be so understanding.  I never said that a coach does not have to try to understand how players feel but at some point the player has to shoulder some of that responsibility - that is all I was saying.  Now as far as your "hope" for me and how handled people in my job - first you don't really know me so you are a bit out of line,  second, how many times have you turned a loan down and held the hand of the rejected person and told them that it is not their fault that they made bad financial decisions but your fault for not having faith in them?, finally, if you think that it is OK for a player  to simply pout and leave every time something doesn't go their way then I am sorry you are just wrong.

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Knowing when to pat some one on the back and knowing when to practice tough love is the responsibility of a leader.  I understand that these players are young but at some point everybody else can not take the responsibility for how that person feels.  Foreman is a 5th year senior so he should be under most circumstances out on his own working for someone who probably is not going to be so understanding.  I never said that a coach does not have to try to understand how players feel but at some point the player has to shoulder some of that responsibility - that is all I was saying.  Now as far as your "hope" for me and how handled people in my job - first you don't really know me so you are a bit out of line,  second, how many times have you turned a loan down and held the hand of the rejected person and told them that it is not their fault that they made bad financial decisions but your fault for not having faith in them?, finally, if you think that it is OK for a player  to simply pout and leave every time something doesn't go their way then I am sorry you are just wrong.

for a young person of foreman's age?  most of the time.  and many times they come back a year or two later with things fixed and have become lifelong friends and customers.   glad i didnt go to your school.  was it a military institute?

rgbilliken likes this

Rich Grawer yanked a freshman named Monroe Douglas on every mistake.  Douglas was sent to the bench to "contemplate," as I saw it.  Grawer didn't go down and talk to him, neither did the assistants.  Where is the teaching in that teaching moment.  Everybody is different ---- some guys get despondent, others react and come back better.  But its on the coach to know who is who.  And at 7 deep, how hard is that?  Douglas didn't become one of the all-time Billikens until he could look freely down the court and not over his shoulder.  In a perfect world (or roster) this might be case as you describe it.  But desperate times (i.e. a depleted roster) means checking aim, adjusting fire and going from there.  Ford took the blame, Foreman then responded.  I say a win for all.

And I'm having a fine 20 days with my Dayton buddy until I see him up there later this month so thank you for that!

rgbilliken likes this

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

for a young person of foreman's age?  most of the time.  and many times they come back a year or two later with things fixed and have become lifelong friends and customers.   glad i didnt go to your school.  was it a military institute?

You have completely missed the point.  Nobody is saying that players do not have to be handled differently just that at some point the player has to accept his own responsibility for how he feels and can not always blame others.  I am sure Ford has tried to address his players differently based on their needs but Foreman got all the accolades last year so why is he so fragile this year - maybe he isn't who knows none of us are in the room but he should have taken some strength from his play and success last year and carry it over to this year.  So you admit that you did not hold the rejected person's hand and say it was not your fault but mine for turning you down.  Of course if they came back a year or two later and fixed their issues then they did "man up".  Once again - you know nothing of me so stay in your lane.