GDT: Arch Baron Cup 2k19

Littlebill

What a game, and even more what a difference, Wow! They played like they meant to go to the Dance, as a team and they stayed consistent throughout the whole game! The team that came back to play after the half time was the same team that went out at half time! The Chaifetz had a loud attendance but it was a bit over halfway filled, the support level was excellent. DJ had a hell of a game. They deserved this, now onward to the next one.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, willie said:

Sometimes a short bench can work to your advantage. DJ for 16. 

Plot twist...you meant Demarius Jacobs. 

Haha...great call.

What a game! Finally off the ball movement on offense. And the mistakes were limited. 

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

I think he could be a stud this year if he could get 30 min a game.  There's always next year.

Isabell with one turnover in 35 min.  Still too much gambling defensively and ill-advised jump shots but if he can limit his turnovers we have a chance to finish above .500 in the conference.  It's really up to him.  

DJ showed a helluva lot of pride tonight.  I'm very happy for him. 

Note the difference in Goodwin's offensive effectiveness when he has the ball on the perimeter versus when he's receiving it in the post.  He is clearly better in the post as he showed last game.  Fortunately, Foreman and Fred wrecked Dayton's scouting report so it didn't matter in this game.

There's a reason that I replaced Roland Gray with Javon Bess as my favorite Bill in my profile about a month ago.  This guy is the ultimate competitor.  Tell your grandkids to reserve his spot on the next Billiken All-Century team.

I'll apologize to Foreman. I've been one of his biggest critics because his level of play from last year was way better than what we've seen this season. Until LAST NIGHT! Great game by the big guy. Now please sustain that and who knows what awaits us.

This game really brings up the fact that anyone can have a good game, regardless of the previous attempts. Nice to see everyone was involved last night, including the fans. SLU looked dominant through the first 8-10 minutes of the game. Then, just held on to their position. Overall, a good team game by everyone and nice rebounding.

27 minutes ago, 73Billiken said:

Wow, what a game!  Just what the doctor ordered.

Play with that intensity (and lack of mistakes) and we are still in a position of an end of season run.  Go Bills.

I’m being captain obvious here, but getting top four will be so important. With our lack of depth 3 in 3 is possible, but four in four will almost certainly be too much. 

Man did we need that, well done. Down to 7 guys with our star fighting thru an injury we really took the fight to Dayton and they for whatever reason just didn't look ready for that. Different guys stepped up throughout the game, but hats off to DJ Foreman for putting together a career game going up against a really solid front line. It was great to see a guy who has struggled a lot of this season go out and dominate at times last night and for the fans to acknowledge his effort throughout.

when foreman isabell and a one legged bess can play like that, we can beat the entire league even if we are only the "magnificent seven".

Littlebill likes this

-that was a lot of fun, I hope the locker room was a very happy place after that game, all of us needed that

-I guess SVU has no depth as why a team wouldn't go 94 feet against us with 7 players is puzzling 

-DJF, that was great, if CFord was holding you back, you exploded through it, would love for you to keep that going

-I was disappointed in the crowd size and crowd intensity, maybe those of there were in shock as to what we were seeing

-let's take this to Philly on Friday

1 hour ago, VeniceMenace said:

I thought Dayton did not display any intensity with the exception of Toppin it appeared Dayton thought they could show up and defeat a thin SLU team.

I did not see the Dayton team huddle and talk and get mad about being totally outplayed.

The score did not reflect how good the Billikens played last night if JGood hits half of his missed close shots and the team hits 70 percent from the line it would have been a 20 point blow out.

The rebounding intensity last night was something to watch, Dayton had to fight for almost every rebound.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-that was a lot of fun, I hope the locker room was a very happy place after that game, all of us needed that

-I guess SVU has no depth as why a team wouldn't go 94 feet against us with 7 players is puzzling 

Dayton doesn't appear to have much depth and is also a 7 man rotation at this point. Having not watched Dayton at all this year, it was hard for me to see what they typically do well to put them at the top of the league (which has to be a credit to what we did to them last night). We really bullied them and they could not handle us on the glass or defend us at the rim. Looking at their stats really quickly, I think some of these are things we should feel really good about. Dayton in conference play is the leading defensive rebounding team and 2nd in total rebounds and leads the conference in 2 point field goal percentage and points (2nd in points per game), so heck of a rebounding and defensive effort from the guys. One stat that does line up is that Dayton gives up the highest 2 point shooting % as well. Again, having never watched them, I thought they looked good when they were able to penetrate and were setting up action to make that happen, but we did an overall nice job of preventing them from doing that consistently beyond fairly brief stretches in each half. Overall, we just really took it to them and played an overall really nice game with contributions from everyone. Good win leaving me with nothing to complain about (I guess if we are in the trust tree I should acknowledge that I felt like an old man complaining about the student turnout).

Thatch now the team leader in 3pt% in conference play at .38%.  Take that with the fact hes shooting .75% from the line,  and with his defense yells for more minutes.  Also, if you take away the Umass game, hes shooting 88% from the line this year.  Hes now gotten to the line 29 times in conf play, while he only got to the line 11 times in non conf play.  Big props to him.

The stat keeps popping up about how SLU is 1st in FT attempts, and last in %.

Notable players First 5 games of conf and last 5 games of conference play

first 5   -- last 5

Thatch     57%  --  90%   +33%

Isabell      80%  --  80%    = even

Bess        63%  --    91%    +28%

Goodwin  60%  --  73%     +13%

While the record shows we need to stop shooting FTs(kidding), I think that loosing stretch was even more unlucky.

Zink, TheA_Bomb and moytoy12 like this

I thought we'd see a few more games like that from Foreman this year.  He had several games like that last year (VCU. Duquesne, Richmond). Hopefully this is the start of a good stretch from him. There's just little margin for error with this team. We need more consistent performances from everybody.

17 minutes ago, CBFan said:

The score did not reflect how good the Billikens played last night if JGood hits half of his missed close shots and the team hits 70 percent from the line it would have been a 20 point blow out.

What's the phrase, if my aunt had a penis she'd be my uncle? I think at this point we should count on missing a number of remotely contested shots in the paint (Goodwin is just really struggling to finish) and expecting much higher than 62.5% from the line is foolish. Last night Isabell was 5-5, Thatch was 4-4, Bess 3-3, and Goodwin 2-3 for a total of 14-15 or 93.3%, so the guards shot it well and did so in the 2nd half when it seemed like Dayton was making a bit of a run and we were getting a little stalled on offense. I mean how many more points would you expect to get from the line? The misses were from Foreman (4-11) who shoots 52.9% from the line and French (2-6) who shoots 33.8% from the line. 70% would have added 2 points and I guess those would have had to come from Foreman based on percentages.

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thatch now the team leader in 3pt% in conference play at .38%.  Take that with the fact hes shooting .75% from the line,  and with his defense yells for more minutes.  Also, if you take away the Umass game, hes shooting 88% from the line this year.  Hes now gotten to the line 29 times in conf play, while he only got to the line 11 times in non conf play.  Big props to him.

Great stuff.  And this doesn’t even get into his ability to keep plays alive with his offensive rebounding effort or make plays defensively.  Thatch is gonna be a Billiken favorite for a lot of fans. 

7 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Great stuff.  And this doesn’t even get into his ability to keep plays alive with his offensive rebounding effort or make plays defensively.  Thatch is gonna be a Billiken favorite for a lot of fans. 

Thatch has limitations no doubt, but he brings so much effort/energy and toughness for a freshman that it is hard not to want to see him more. Such a disruptive player, there are times when he turns the ball over where it looks like there is nothing that will stop him from getting the ball back.

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

And this doesn’t even get into his ability to keep plays alive with his offensive rebounding effort or make plays defensively.  

He kept what, 5+ plays alive last night?  He was everywhere.