Hochman article

slu72

Hochman: Ford smooths SLU’s rocky ride

...Basically, SLU should’ve been this year’s VCU — a formidable foe in conference play, good enough to earn an at-large bid.

And that should be what SLU is next year, a team that’s in the NCAA Tournament before the Atlantic-10 tournament.

I think that's a lot to expect from the 2019-20 squad which will return no seniors.  Way too much to expect!  Otherwise, it was a good article about the Bills.

Hochman is clueless -- and local which makes it worse.  Massive amounts of turnover -- some caused by Ford and some not.

Fact:  8 of 13 new guys this year - Santos, Isabell, Wiley, Gordon, Thatch, Hankton, Jacobs and Thor. Also, second straight missed season by Welmer meaning 4 returners.  Fact:  8 of 13 new guys next year:  Collins, Hargrove, Perkins, Jimerson, Bell,  and maybe 3 more next year.   Meaning likely 5 returners -2 of whom barely played.

At least he knew what conference we are in!!

27 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Great tribute to Goodwin. As most of us have known all season, the man is a warrior and impacts the game well beyond the stat line. 

17 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Hochman: Ford smooths SLU’s rocky ride

I think that's a lot to expect from the 2019-20 squad which will return no seniors.  Way too much to expect!  Otherwise, it was a good article about the Bills.

Looks like Ben's getting swept up in the euphoria. I think it's cute. He's on the right track, though  I think his clock is just a year fast.

VCU and Davidson will be ranked next year. Dayton, Duquesne and the Bonnies willl be really good. We can gently inform Ben of that in October when the public is actually paying attention to preseason predictions.

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Looks like Ben's getting swept up in the euphoria. I think it's cute. He's on the right track, though  I think his clock is just a year fast.

VCU and Davidson will be ranked next year. Dayton, Duquesne and the Bonnies willl be really good. We can gently inform Ben of that in October when the public is actually paying attention to preseason predictions.

I think Dayton may crack the top 25 as well. All of them will be deserving of pre season top 50. Because we return only 3 we will probably place somewhere between 75-100. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

ive been saying it for a number of years, the only player at any level that rebounds like goodwin is rodman.   he is the most tenacious rebounder i have ever seen. 

dlarry and rgbilliken like this

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

ive been saying it for a number of years, the only player at any level that rebounds like goodwin is rodman.   he is the most tenacious rebounder i have ever seen. 

Even more so than Bonner?

Virginia Tech, the No. 4 seed, is good at many things. Rebounding isn’t one of them. The Hokies are 308th in the nation, with 32.6 rebounds per game; the Billikens are 16th (39.8).

Ben is off on this.  Total rebounds is more about pace of play.  The fact that they get 7 fewer rebounds per game over the season than the Bills doesn't mean they're a much worse rebounding team.  Plus, when you hit more shots, there are few rebound chances.

It's great that Goodwin gets so many offensive rebounds, but a lot of those were rebounds of his own putback attempts.  If he'd hit the first shot, it would reduce his number of offensive rebounds.  That wouldn't be a bad thing, either:  I'll take buckets over rebounds!

There has been a bit of debate about who has been playing PG, and I know the roles between JG and TI and interchangeable, but it seems to me TI has been more of the PG lately. His assists are up, while Goodwin's are down, but Goodwin's rebounding has been strong. It seems like it would be very difficult to be both a great PG and a great rebounder.

1 minute ago, ACE said:

There has been a bit of debate about who has been playing PG, and I know the roles between JG and TI and interchangeable, but it seems to me TI has been more of the PG lately. His assists are up, while Goodwin's are down, but Goodwin's rebounding has been strong. It seems like it would be very difficult to be both a great PG and a great rebounder.

Agree. I think Jordan is pg in name only. 

Cool compilation video of Jordans great play during the run. 

Jordans shot looked very good all weekend. I think he is a better shooter than he gets credit for. He has great rotation and a pretty consistent stroke. That last clip of the three against Davidson is about as clean of a jump shot as you can ask for.  Just needs to get out of his head on freethrows in my opinion. I think he can be a 35-40% 3pt shooter at some point. Combined with strong interior play, I think the sky is the limit for him.

CBFan likes this

9 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Jordans shot looked very good all weekend. I think he is a better shooter than he gets credit for. He has great rotation and a pretty consistent stroke. Just needs to get out of his head on freethrows in my opinion. I think he can be a 35-40% 3pt shooter at some point. Combined with strong interior play, I think the sky is the limit for him.

I thought his FT stroke looked a lot better in the A-10 tourney, even if the percentage wasn’t noticeably better (don’t have the stats in front of me).  The last few games of the season, his FTs weren’t even close. 

Also, I thought DJ’s attempts at the line looked better. 

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Jordans shot looked very good all weekend. I think he is a better shooter than he gets credit for. He has great rotation and a pretty consistent stroke. That last clip of the three against Davidson is about as clean of a jump shot as you can ask for.  Just needs to get out of his head on freethrows in my opinion. I think he can be a 35-40% 3pt shooter at some point. Combined with strong interior play, I think the sky is the limit for him.

i dont know what the fuss is about.   watching that video, goodwin looks like a pretty good player to me.