The Bills and Dayton EVEN

The Wiz

The variable spread in this game is important too....The Bills by 2  to Day by 2.

The good news is we remain at a grade of B- overall....the bad news is that for the 1st time this season we are trending down below our overall grade ....The trend is C+...We need to turn things around starting with a win this game. 

Dayton comes in with a B average....they have below average 3P  & FT shooting .  Our rebounding is better....Our D is better....On the surface this all seems promising ....but there is a huge elephant in the room.....2 P shooting ...You will note in the report card that Day is 4th In The Nation in FG%....this is a result of their 2P% being 59.6%...2nd ITN...So we have our work cut out for us.

Let's look at the report card.....

...............................SLU..............................Day.............................................SLU...................................Day

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................F+.................................C+..................................................A..................................B

FG%..........................F+................................A+... 4th  ITN.................................A-.................................B

3P%..........................F..................................D  ....................................................A.................................C

FT%...........................F-...3rd worst ITN......D.........................................................................................

Reb............................A................................C.................................................B....................................B

No change in our grades from last game.

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Goodwin ...36th 

Rebs....French.......64th 

Blks.....French.........84th

FG%.....Toppin.........8th (69.1%)....Cunningham....38th (62.5%)

Assts...Crutcher......28th

WWN2D2W....Day has a balanced scoring attack with 6 players who can score in double figures.....Stop their big 3....Toppin , Cunningham & Crutcher....No player should score more than 11 pts...with no more than 3 in double figures....We need to have no more than 11 TOs...Dayton doesn't force TOs...they are an F team in forcing TOs...we need to win the TO battle.  We also should win the rebound war.  Make the entire slash ...42/31/60

WCGW...We lose the TO battle...this could happen by unforced TOs...... We let them make uncontested bunnies and layups....You will know this is happening if you see FG% s above 60...They start to intentionally  try and gain a FT advantage....figuring we have a 36% chance of making 2 FTs while they have 60 to 70% chance of making  2.

Bottom line....This will be a very close game...  again.  Good chance of OT.  Unforced errors could be a killer. If we can stay away from those and make the easy shots....layups, fast breaks some bunnies we can win this game.

"Most lay-ups  and 2 foot jump shots around the goal are missed by not putting the ball up high enough on the backboard."......Rick Majerus

34 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wiz’s computer is as confused as we are doesn’t even know who were playing 

Sorry about that ...If a mod could correct that to Dayton.....You shouldn't write a report while watching the Super Bowl

Fixed

Edited by The Wiz

• The Wiz changed the title to The Bills and Day EVEN

Wiz,

Love your work and your write-ups but please download an anti-virus for your computer. Something has infected the program and it’s putting out nonsense. This game will be over after 8 minutes and Dayton will win in embarrassing fashion.

almaman likes this

The personnel report ...... Dayton plays six guys.  Sure, some might count four-star freshman Dwayne Cohill as a seventh but it ain't much.  Of course, watch us make him a star ....An eight player, Frankie Policelli, plays much like Tanner Lancona did here his freshman year.  Sparsely. 

The Wiz is right in  noting Dayton's FG% but it is that hugh because it starts with Josh Cunnignham.  The guy will rarely step outside the paint and he is likely one of, if not the best, big man in the A10.  A fifth year senior who knows about footwork and position.  He catches the ball on the low block and its just about over from there.  Sixth man Toppin doesn't do anything but dunk and make layups.  Kind of hard NOT to have high percentages with those shots.  He is about the best leaper I have seen in the A10 in some time.  This kid can sky.  Most of his stuff comes on put backs or dives down the lane to the basket where a wing guy hits him with the pass.  I have not seen any sort of individual game from Toppin other than board crashing.  But one or two dunks and the psyche of the game changes.  The third wheel here is Trey Landers.  To me, Landers is extremely limited -- he wants an exterior shot, give it to him.  His game is more hustle and creating turnovers or keeping rebounds alive.  Which lead to lay ups and put backs -- more high percentage shots. 

With Cunningham and Landers you also have Ryan Mikesell in the frontcourt.  Again, very bland, very vanilla.  Doesn't do anything really well but play a role.  Rebound.  Defense.  Occassional points.  Can drive.  Can make a three.  Lately he has posted 21 point games and that is just way too high of a ceiling for this kid. 

The backcourt numbers two (and a half counting Cohill).  Jalen Crutcher is the point and Jordan Davis is the shooter.  Like all shooters, Davis is streaky.  He's a clone of Peter Frampton out of Davidson but more athletic.  Cannot let him get going or you are screwed.  We would kill for a point guard like Crutcher right now.  His shot isn't that great because he has a release point like Dunn-Martin at Duquesne but he takes and makes most of his on open stops when leading the break.  It gives him the space to launch and he's very good at that.  Dayton plays some hard-nosed man-to-man defense.  It ought to be interesting to see if Grant follows the league mean and plays zone against us.  Toppin is a shot blocker on the defensive end as well.  That usually doesn't bode well for guys like Foreman and French going to the rim.  If we ever got some good home cooking from the refs, I'd say pound it in and make Dayton's two lone bigs play us and foul us some.  We won't make the shots but we'll deplete their frontline quickly. 

I have no respect for this Dayton team.  of course, I might have even less for us.

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

Wiz, what would our FT grade be if our rate were 64.4%?

mhg

We would move up to an F....We are dug into a deep FT hole....

Also a further update to Stu's injury report....Bess now listed as questionable....His status is now listed as uncertain for Tues.

7 minutes ago, Old guy said:

What players were recently given scholarships? This is a real question I am not aware of any recent scholarships given to any players. Does anyone know?

with recent departed, gordon and thor, ford has given their tuition scholarship money to our walkons.

15 minutes ago, Old guy said:

What players were recently given scholarships? This is a real question I am not aware of any recent scholarships given to any players. Does anyone know?

Raboin, and Courtney.

• SluSignGuy changed the title to The Bills and Dayton EVEN
1 hour ago, Old guy said:

Joshua Hightower  was added to the roster on Jan 30....He was the basketball manager.. .All-Region player for ASA College in Brooklyn , NY where he was one of their top scorers....He is a 6' 3" guard.

14 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Per Ford, the trainers cleared him a week ago.  It's up to Jacobs now.

I think you originally suggested some issues with Jacobs based on his refusal to dress out at this point (and Ford’s seeming frustration related to it). I think that suggestion grows stronger with each game he fails to suit up.

i can’t imagine Bess, among others, are too happy with Jacobs at this point. 

18 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I think you originally suggested some issues with Jacobs based on his refusal to dress out at this point (and Ford’s seeming frustration related to it). I think that suggestion grows stronger with each game he fails to suit up.

hmm interesting. 

26 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

i can’t imagine Bess, among others, are too happy with Jacobs at this point. 

Yes I did.  And to be clear, that is my reading between the lines of Coach's comment last week.  First he said 'Jacobs injury not as serious as first thought.  Surprised it has lingered this long'.  Ford then said that he passed all the trainers tests but that Jacobs wasn't ready (last week).  I connected the dots.

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I get the frustration, but nothing good can come from publicly implying that a kid really isn't hurt when he says he can't go.  That is some dangerous terrain to be traversing as a coach.

See my previous comment.  Coach never said this, I suggested it.