Rhodey from da' Couch .........

Taj79

.... start reading 3-star as gospel.  Taped game and watched late ergo no GDT comments from this guy. Was going to stay home and watch live as Mrs.Taj went to see grandkids.  Watching a four- and two-year-old little lady in tutu parade around and put on a dance show was better entertainment.  Still......

This season is shot.  Can they find religion and overachieve?  Maybe but I doubt it.  Zone us.  Foul us.  Get ahead in a two-possession game because we are fundamentally weak and a four-point lead is like ten.  Isabell was a bad return on a high risk signing.  We don't have a playmaker.  Jordair Jett was a one-trick pony but it worked.  We have no tricks.  Isabell fell down, lost dribbles, dribbled off his foot .... maddening.  Bad basketball IQs.  Isabell leaving Dowtin after Thatch's made three is a microcosm of bad decision-making.  Foreman is a turnover in the making.  French is lucky there's a backboard when he's on the line.  We have no finesse; everything is bully-ball and muscles.  Hankton is frail.  Wiley is frail.  Jacobs might be done --- team says he's ready, he says no.  I don't think he'll see the light of day from Travis Ford's doghouse now.  Who the hell are we going to beat from here on out?  

There isn't one guy who 'lost' this game, it's a collective effort.  And it's collective because there are some main ingredients missing.  Wentzel said it well last night ---- you are not going to beat anyone without having legitimate three-point shooters in college ball and making your free throws.  The most important muscle in sports can sometimes rest between the ears and our guys are brain dead.   Isabell won't shoot anymore.  Foreman is completely done based on what I saw from him on the bench.  French was completely perplexed when one of his last foul shots didn't even hit iron.  Thatch can't shoot.  Goodwin has no exterior game.  And Bess got treated just like he  has treated people on defense all year.  We can't even compete in a 'first-one-to-50-wins' game it seems. Since we've hit February, we can all easily say this is who we are.  

Double bye?  We are in free fall headed to the PIG at this point.  I'm embarrassed with this product.  I was okay with the Duquesne loss --- didn't like it but figured we were due.  Losing at home to Davidson and then Richmond really depressed me.  Yesterday, I think I said we were headed to 5 and 4.  Next up --- Dayton --- who will destroy us if Cunningham and Toppin decimate the interior and put French on the bench. Then go on the road and lose to the Joeys and Geedubya.  Here comes 5 and 7.  I am to the point where we cut bait with Isabell and Foreman.  Go with Thatch and Hankton.  Get them some serious OJT.  We'll likely lose but it bodes better for the future then it does to maintain the status quo with seniors Isabell and Foreman.  

Bill Parcels talked about being totally responsible for all the ingredients in the final product and that's on Ford.  McKillop recruits to his system, his style.  It appears Dambrot is doing the same.  If not Thatch then start Wiley and move Goodwin solely to the point.  Dire times require drastic methods.

This season after the way the team played last year is extremely hard to take. You must have players who can shoot the ball from both the field and the foul line. French not only missed many free throws but he also missed shots from the field. Bess obviously is hurting and we have zero chance when he doesn't score. Agree this season is slipping away fast.

It's hard to make wholesale changes late-season.  However, switching Thatch and Hankthon with TI and DJ should be doable.

We have Bess as a legitimate outside threat with KC and DW as possibles.   I would green light all of them if they get a clean look because we actually rebound well.  Our offense is so stagnant a missed 3 & offensive rebound is an improvement. 

These guys play hard,  just not smart.  The sum total of the whole is less than the parts.   I think that's coaching.   Guess we just gotta cross our fingers and hope eventually Coach will recruit a cohesive group that will overcome a deficit in coaching.   I was unhappy with the hire because this is what I was worried about.   However,  he had me believing.   How long must I suffer?  I rubbed the Billiken belly? The polar vortex is an extension of my cold dying spirit encompassing the land in dread.

billiken_roy likes this

The only bright spots I see, are that Goodwin and Wiley are playing better.   Unfortunately seniors Isabel and Forman, just keep making really stupid plays at critical times.  French is a stud, but looks like he needs to see a psychologist to work out his FT woes.  He is starting to look like that catcher years ago, who couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher. 

21 minutes ago, Aquinas said:

The only bright spots I see, are that Goodwin and Wiley are playing better.   Unfortunately seniors Isabel and Forman, just keep making really stupid plays at critical times.  French is a stud, but looks like he needs to see a psychologist to work out his FT woes.  He is starting to look like that catcher years ago, who couldn't throw the ball back to the pitcher. 

French still needs to work on his skill game, which includes free throws. We all know he can make plays with strength but I’d love to see him add a finesse dimension on the offensive end. If he gets stopped by good positioning he really doesn’t have anything to fall back on. 

23 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It's hard to make wholesale changes late-season.  However, switching Thatch and Hankthon with TI and DJ should be doable.

We have Bess as a legitimate outside threat with KC and DW as possibles.   I would green light all of them if they get a clean look because we actually rebound well.  Our offense is so stagnant a missed 3 & offensive rebound is an improvement. 

These guys play hard,  just not smart.  The sum total of the whole is less than the parts.   I think that's coaching.   Guess we just gotta cross our fingers and hope eventually Coach will recruit a cohesive group that will overcome a deficit in coaching.   I was unhappy with the hire because this is what I was worried about.   However,  he had me believing.   How long must I suffer?  I rubbed the Billiken belly? The polar vortex is an extension of my cold dying spirit encompassing the land in dread.

I agree the effort is there, but the players still haven't found a way to play as a team offensively. It's been that way all season but losing Gordon had an impact and other teams making more progress have caught up with us. It seems to be getting into the players' heads too - not just foul shots but layups have become an adventure. Like a golfer with the yips who can't ever make a three foot putt. Team needs a reset.

4 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

These guys play hard,  just not smart.  The sum total of the whole is less than the parts.   I think that's coaching.   Guess we just gotta cross our fingers and hope eventually Coach will recruit a cohesive group that will overcome a deficit in coaching.   I was unhappy with the hire because this is what I was worried about.   However,  he had me believing.   How long must I suffer? 

Again. Another good Billiken fan with a low basketball IQ.  Yes. There is a reason our offense is not clicking. And it is not the Coach. Read more and post less. 

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Hankton missed his only shot at the 14:54 mark of the first half.  His only other notation was 2 minutes played.  So if and when he got hurt, I didn't see it.

I thought the announcers said something about it looks like he’ hurt. 

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Again. Another good Billiken fan with a low basketball IQ.  Yes. There is a reason our offense is not clicking. And it is not the Coach. Read more and post less. 

You arent right clock.  

moytoy12 and Bizziken like this

14 hours ago, Matty Light said:

I didn't think it was possible, but when Foreman puts the ball on the floor he is as bad as Reggie Agbeko.  How does someone get worse every year handling the ball.  That shouldn't happen until you're an old man.

True for Reggie’s first two years but he worked hard to improve his post game and cut down the turnovers his last two years. He was a workhorse, an undersized center at 6’6 or probably not even that, battling bigger players every night, and sometimes getting the best of them.

DJ has bad hands and wilts under the spotlight. Coach Fraud, er Ford, gave DJ rave reviews for his improvement over the summer but he can’t get it from the practice floor to the game floor.

23 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

You know, Clock, you’re the reason people dislike attorneys. You give the rest of us a bad name. 

Also, a bomb forgot more about basketball today then you’ll ever know.