GDT: RI round 2 fight night

5 minutes ago, willie said:

I don’t understand how we tried to run the offense thru French at the end of the game. RI’s fouls on him might not have been intentional but I would foul him every time. Not blaming French for the loss but those misses made a win impossible. 

If French shoots 100% from the line we still lose by four.  Shoots 75% we lose by six.  If the team shot 100% from the line we still lose. Free Throw shooting didn’t cost us the game.  

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

They want to play for the city, coach, program, facilities etc. Winning is part of it. They know we have lost some pieces and they want to be apart/ the reason of the winning. 

No top athlete wants to join the local losing team. Look at Chicago recruiting then come back and talk. Chicago leaves the state more than ever now 

Just now, brianstl said:

If French shoots 100% from the line we still lose by four.  Shoots 75% we lose by six.  If the team shot 100% from the line we still lose. Free Throw shooting didn’t cost us the game.  

I am not saying he costs us the game but it’s not just math. Those misses change everything. How we play defense. Maybe you don’t give up the dunks and layups our desperate press caused. Time and score. 

3 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Eh, Too many things happen throughout the game pending the score at the time.  I know just adding the numbers to the final score seems easy but I don’t think that tells the full picture. If French hits those, or even at a decent rate either we’re up 1 or 2, or tied.  Things are different than when you miss them and trail

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Free throws could have cost us the game. If we had made earlier ones you may have had the lead. Changes how you play. 

1 minute ago, willie said:

Free throws could have cost us the game. If we had made earlier ones you may have had the lead. Changes how you play. 

Exactly. I don't understand how you can watch that game and not think all those missed free throws weren't a huge difference. Totally different game if you make some of those at different times of the game.

3 minutes ago, willie said:

What this year has changed anything about what we do offensively? Hell, when we have a lead we sit on the ball until there is less than 15 seconds on the shot clock and then try to rush something.

Wiley played ok. The other seniors were not good. French needs to hit freethrows or we are never be as good as we can be. He also needs to get down in his stance so the Langevines of the world arent blowing by him.

I would have liked to see them post Goodwin and Bess up more.  No more complaints about how Goodwin plays point. He is all we have. You dont want Isabell handling the ball. 

Jacobs and Hankton need to get healthy and toughen up.

The thing that has me most concerned is that we clearly have offensive talent and athleticism that hasn't been utilized. There are teams like Wisconsin and Virginia who play with slow pace but are efficient offenses. I'm not even sure we're trying to play with a slow pace, we are just inefficient and lack a cohesive offensive philosophy. Can't win many games if you can't get easy buckets from offensive sets and can't hit FTs.

10 minutes ago, slusam said:

Wiley played ok. The other seniors were not good. French needs to hit freethrows or we are never be as good as we can be. He also needs to get down in his stance so the Langevines of the world arent blowing by him.

I would have liked to see them post Goodwin and Bess up more.  No more complaints about how Goodwin plays point. He is all we have. You dont want Isabell handling the ball. 

Jacobs and Hankton need to get healthy and toughen up.

Goodwin wasn't playing point the majority of the game.  In fact, in the first half he was almost exclusively on the receiving end in the post.  Just like when he was playing forward in high school.

Isabell played a ton of minutes precisely so he had the responsibility of primary ballhandler.  What I'm arguing is that you don't have a point guard on the team.  So there's no reason to have either guy masquerading as one. 

Post Goodwin up on one box.  Post up French on the other one.  Your "shooters" are Wiley, Thatch and Bess.  Pitch and catch.  Stop dribbling around the circle for 6-7 seconds and throwing it back to a safety valve 30 feet from the basket.  

GoBills73 and SLU_Nick like this

52 minutes ago, brianstl said:

You are Missing the other half of the equation. We don’t have to foul Russell at the end of the game if we make critical FT. If we hit a FT and draw even, different game. Missing FT was brutal. 

almaman likes this

2 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

No top athlete wants to join the local losing team. Look at Chicago recruiting then come back and talk. Chicago leaves the state more than ever now 

To be honest, if a kid doesn't join just due to the fact the team isn't winning currently, not sure if I want him.  I want the kids that have the mindset that they can come in and contribute to make SLU a winning team.  

Edit:  To go along with that, here was Hargrove earlier in January talking about how he can help SLU out to win.  Link

8 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

To be honest, if a kid doesn't join just due to the fact the team isn't winning currently, not sure if I want him.  I want the kids that have the mindset that they can come in and contribute to make SLU a winning team.  

Edit:  To go along with that, here was Hargrove earlier in January talking about how he can help SLU out to win.  Link

I’m sure Gordon has that mindset at DePaul too. Want him? Winners like to win. It’s simple. No one wants to go to SLU if they can’t make it to the NCAA in a crappy A10