OT: Ford’s seat getting warm

19 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Really?  Our most promissory shooter on the Bench was Thor?   Really?  Why do you say this?   Is it possible that his shooting wasn't as good as advertised?  Or more likley, that his shooting was good but that the other parts of his game were so far behind the others that any increase in shooting percentage (assuming an increase) would be offset by the other parts of his game.  He wouldn't be the first overseas Freshman not ready for high level D1.   Again, you do know, that he signed late, had serious medical issues causing him to apparently lose 15 pounds and miss working out with the team this summer and this Fall. 

Or is this a Coach Ford conspiracy?  Coach Ford is trying to tank this season by not using our most promising shooter?   Or no conspiracy... just that Coach Ford is too dumb (see bitter comments from Oklahoma State fans for not advancing far enough in NCAA Tournament and not beating certain Big XII rivals) to see that he had our most promising shooter on the Bench?  

I wonder what would have happened if he made that 40 foot bomb in the Pitt game.....

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i had heard the same or maybe read it here, yet last year he played hines and roby at the point for far more minutes than goodwin at the point.   this year ford comes out with isabell at the point until he couldnt take it anymore.   doesnt seem to be a "hell or highwater"  scenario to me.  

personally i believe goodwin would be good as the lead guard in the right offense.   unfortunately that right offense is obviously not the one norman dale prefers to utilize that ford also is attached to.   

He needs to be surrounded by shooters, period. We don't have the personnel right now for Goodwin's skills to shine.

Edit: To be clear, I'm agreeing with you. I like the idea of him as a lead guard, just one who happens to be surrounded by different players (mostly).

I am not ready to start digging a grave for Ford.  I still think he can turn around the program.  That said, he isn't above criticism.  The guy has won two less NCAA tournament games in his career than Jim Crews.  Ford's career record at SLU is under .500 right now.  In Ford's last four years overall he is 10 games under .500.  

20 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I wonder what would have happened if he made that 40 foot bomb in the Pitt game.....

That 40' bomb was one of the worst shots I've ever seen taken by a Billiken player.  And yes, I'm putting it above (or below?) some of those Jolly shot attempts.

willie likes this

32 minutes ago, SShoe said:

That 40' bomb was one of the worst shots I've ever seen taken by a Billiken player.  And yes, I'm putting it above (or below?) some of those Jolly shot attempts.

considering the point in the game and the fact it was like his first seconds ever of playing, it was as ballsy of a shot as i have ever seen.   ford had to probably about p in his pants.   😅

51 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am not ready to start digging a grave for Ford.  I still think he can turn around the program.  That said, he isn't above criticism.  The guy has won two less NCAA tournament games in his career than Jim Crews.  Ford's career record at SLU is under .500 right now.  In Ford's last four years overall he is 10 games under .500.  

This

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

considering the point in the game and the fact it was like his first seconds ever of playing, it was as ballsy of a shot as i have ever seen.   ford had to probably about p in his pants.   😅

Exactly. If there was a ever a shot where a player deserved to be benched like Ray in Hoosiers, that was it. 

8 minutes ago, SShoe said:

Exactly. If there was a ever a shot where a player deserved to be benched like Ray in Hoosiers, that was it. 

ray was making his shots though!

2 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Really?  Our most promissory shooter on the Bench was Thor?   Really?  Why do you say this?   Is it possible that his shooting wasn't as good as advertised?  Or more likley, that his shooting was good but that the other parts of his game were so far behind the others that any increase in shooting percentage (assuming an increase) would be offset by the other parts of his game.  He wouldn't be the first overseas Freshman not ready for high level D1.   Again, you do know, that he signed late, had serious medical issues causing him to apparently lose 15 pounds and miss working out with the team this summer and this Fall. 

Or is this a Coach Ford conspiracy?  Coach Ford is trying to tank this season by not using our most promising shooter?   Or no conspiracy... just that Coach Ford is too dumb (see bitter comments from Oklahoma State fans for not advancing far enough in NCAA Tournament and not beating certain Big XII rivals) to see that he had our most promising shooter on the Bench?  

Relax I said I found it weird that we’re short a guy, and have no shooters and yet Thor rode the bench. If those stats are correct, and the the Icelandic teams are similar to A10, we are missing his shooting. He is doing well now 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

I agree Ford isn't above criticism...don't quite understand the logic though...Jim Crews also had an overall record at SLU above .500, so retain him instead of hiring Ford?

Ford hasn't turned around the program at all? If he were to leave today this team is  the same as he found it?

I'm giving Ford a pass until Year 5 results are in. He took over a mess and brought in players that could have turned it around fast. He ran into some very bad luck. SIT 2, Santos, and then Gordon deciding he'd rather represent Chitown than his supposed beloved hometown. Thor was a roster filler at best. I also think Thor didn't want to live in his brothers shadow. 

Next year is going to be another big challenge for him because of youth. I'm praying he doesn't go overboard on GTs this spring. Land us a GT big for limited minutes and turn off the faucet. Try and develop the talent you'll have to go along w/ Thatch, Jacobs, and Hankton plus Goodwin and French. 

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm guessing Thor ate both marshmallows before the test had been fully explained at The Northern Lights preschool class.

This board is really hard to read sometimes.  Ford deserves a chance to build a team.  S2, Santos, Gordon, countless injuries this year etc.   I dont understand how so many people can demand lofty results when there have been so many challenges.  Many people are forgetting thor was hospitalized back in November or December.  He had surgery and was very limited in practice for at least a month later.  Not to mention he lost over 10lbs from when he was sick.  All of this made it nearly impossible to grant him playing time, especially when he was limited from contact in practice.  

I think Ford should at least have 2 more years given S2, Santos/Gordon, Pearson, Welmer injury, etc. But if Ford is really on the hot seat for some, why isn't his boss on it too? Just an honest question, because if Ford is really going to get this much flack, why does our AD not get it too for the past 10 years of mediocrity (with several miracle seasons that no one could have predicted after Majerus became ill). 

May has had over a decade at this point to right the ship. If Ford gets kicked to the curb at any point, May needs to be booted as well. 

16 minutes ago, gravilst said:

This board is really hard to read sometimes.  Ford deserves a chance to build a team.  S2, Santos, Gordon, countless injuries this year etc.   I dont understand how so many people can demand lofty results when there have been so many challenges.  Many people are forgetting thor was hospitalized back in November or December.  He had surgery and was very limited in practice for at least a month later.  Not to mention he lost over 10lbs from when he was sick.  All of this made it nearly impossible to grant him playing time, especially when he was limited from contact in practice.  

imo it isnt the results it is some of the things being done and not done that makes me question what's going on.   how can a coach that was a free throw shooter extraordinaire when he played have one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country?   knowing last year that only bess was a respectable shooter, why is nobody shooting better from the field?   if the legend that goodwin was promised to be a point guard is true, then why was roby and hines the primary point guard last year and the season this year starts off with a very clumsy at best point guard as in isabell?   with all the red flags about gordon, how did that situation get out of control?   with a team that cant shoot, why are we playing a basically slow down offense that will need good shooting to succeed?   we could go on.   all of the above imo has little to do with the injuries, defections etc.   most are questions about what was worked on over the summer?  

Billy Ken likes this

51 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

And do what? 

I don’t know. To be fair, I don’t think he’s going anywhere, but my point is which is more likely: SLU is done with Ford or Ford is done with SLU?

Again, I don’t think anything is happening, but IMO, it’s more likely that Ford is frustrated with SLU than vice versa. 

I doubt Travis is high on any schools list right now. It's not like he set the world on fire at SLU. Yes, he's upped recruiting but a lot of those recruits have gone South due to Sit2, et al. I don't think he's high any P5 schools wish list. 

His problem is he tried to turn it around too fast. Compare his rebuild to Rick's. Rick built from the ground up with FR. He had his problems too; Thompson and the Latin kid. Willie opted out and the other two in Sit 1 bailed. But Rick stuck w/his plan: build with kids who could work in his systems and develop them. Recall it was under Rick we set the 20 point Mendoza line. None of his recruits were what you'd consider 4-5 stars, but put those parts together and they were a finely tuned machine. So much Crews rode them to two dances, and he couldn't coach a team of monkeys to eat bananas. 

Travis went for the moon. Transfers, GTs, and a temperamental 4 star. Talent everywhere. Why should we be pissed at him? National media, all A10 coaches made us favorites. This team was loaded. Now we're down to 6 players plus a hobbled Bess. It happens. Dreams go up in smoke. 

Travis should now center his attention in recruiting good A10 quality players from HS. Develop them and see where it goes from there. Slow down, Travis. And rebuild team Blue! It starts next year. 

Just now, Billy Ken said:

Did anyone hear anything about an altercation between two players in the locker room during halftime of the Davidson game? IF this is true makes me wonder what really is going on? 

Well, apparently YOU did. Fill us in!