OT: Ford’s seat getting warm

48 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

How can a coach that was a free throw shooter extraordinaire when he played have one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country?   
Because he recruited really bad free throw shooters.  Players who have been bad free throw shooters all their lives usually remain bad free throw shooters, no matter how much they practice.  There are exceptions but that's just what they are, exceptions.

knowing last year that only bess was a respectable shooter, why is nobody shooting better from the field?
Because our point guard play is even worse than it was last year. 

if the legend that goodwin was promised to be a point guard is true, then why was roby and hines the primary point guard last year and the season this year starts off with a very clumsy at best point guard as in isabell?   
Because great recruiters are salesmen and they will stretch the truth to seal the deal.  Goodwin does play point guard, but only on a part-time basis.  

with all the red flags about gordon, how did that situation get out of control?   
Because no one controls Carte'Are Gordon.  But when you're a top 50 recruit, you're going to be given multiple chances.  Good luck to Depaul.

with a team that cant shoot, why are we playing a basically slow down offense that will need good shooting to succeed?  
Because the vast majority of coaches do not alter their offensive strategy just because their roster is incomplete.  That's why the greatest coach we ever had holds the record for the lowest scoring game in the modern era, even though that team had two of the top 8 scorers in Billiken history.

Pistol likes this

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Did anyone hear anything about an altercation between two players in the locker room during halftime of the Davidson game? IF this is true makes me wonder what really is going on.

This is worse than trolling. I would be more worried if there weren’t arguments between players. What I don’t like is it leaving the locker room

VeniceMenace likes this

7 minutes ago, dlarry said:

The last FIFA event he shot 6-38 from 3 for a nice 16%.

That’s agaist the NBA level players and not A10. Anyways the last thing I’ll say is that the only good argument for not putting Ford for not putting him on the hotseat is that we can’t really get anyone better. SLU’s worst enemy is SLU 

Billy Ken likes this

15 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This is worse than trolling. I would be more worried if there weren’t arguments between players. What I don’t like is it leaving the locker room

Trolling? Ok. When people were saying CG was a problem, teammates didn’t like him, would walk out of practice, wasn’t going to class, then he leaves and you find out all of the trolls were right. Whatever. All those guys in locker room talk. SLU athletics isn’t the CIA. Ask a student athlete if you know any next time you are down there. If there is fighting while a team is slipping that isn’t good. 

7 minutes ago, Billy Ken said:

Trolling? Ok. When people were saying CG was a problem, teammates didn’t like him, would walk out of practice, wasn’t going to class, then he leaves and you find out all of the trolls were right. Whatever. All those guys in locker room talk. SLU athletics isn’t the CIA. Ask a student athlete if you know any next time you are down there. If there is fighting while a team is slipping that isn’t good. 

Yes it’s worse then trolling, don’t just say did you hear about a fight at halftime? Why don’t you spill what you heard. Because it’s obvious you have something to say. 

Did you see the Bortuzzo Sanford fight in Blues practice? Have you ever been on a team? If you’re playing D1 college basketball you’re among extremely competitive people and when you lose you’re going to have friction in the locker room. If they weren’t pissed off over losing that would concern me. I just wish that that happens in the locker room would have stayed there. That’s the more disappointing part IMO.

1 minute ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

That’s agaist the NBA level players and not A10. Anyways the last thing I’ll say is that the only good argument for not putting Ford for not putting him on the hotseat is that we can’t really get anyone better. SLU’s worst enemy is SLU 

NBA level players?

He played France, Turkey, Montenegro, Sweden, Israel, Serbia, and Germany.

Not exactly a murderers row of NBA talent.

The one thing to keep in mind is it was almost exactly a year ago most of us were saying the administrators and the Title IX office gave us the death penalty or that it would take years to get out of.   Ford kept the recruits, got a few spring recruits and followed it up with a solid early signing period.  

Not saying Ford is above criticism but I never expected a Majerus as a coach.  I expected him to recruit enough talent that can win the A10 and I still think he can be able to do that. 

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

NBA level players?

He played France, Turkey, Montenegro, Sweden, Israel, Serbia, and Germany.

Not exactly a murderers row of NBA talent.

It isn’t wasn’t the NBA, but those teams include the teams that finished first, third, fourth, fifth and sixth in the championships. There were a bunch of players involved that already play on some of the top pro teams in Europe.  

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

imo it isnt the results it is some of the things being done and not done that makes me question what's going on.   how can a coach that was a free throw shooter extraordinaire when he played have one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the country?   knowing last year that only bess was a respectable shooter, why is nobody shooting better from the field?   if the legend that goodwin was promised to be a point guard is true, then why was roby and hines the primary point guard last year and the season this year starts off with a very clumsy at best point guard as in isabell?   with all the red flags about gordon, how did that situation get out of control?   with a team that cant shoot, why are we playing a basically slow down offense that will need good shooting to succeed?   we could go on.   all of the above imo has little to do with the injuries, defections etc.   most are questions about what was worked on over the summer?  

The legend that Goodwin was promised the point was contradicted by Goodwin himself when he stated that he wasn't promised anything

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

I'm not sure I understand the legend of Bishop. Did I miss all the times where he was overly talked up?

No. Bishop, like Roby and Welmer, are Crews guys.  Likely that Ford would not have recruited them, but they were here. No one ever said they were franchise players. Believe the post was meant to mock and diminish the loss to Coach Ford and the team. Instead, they were guys who had value and could help bridge the program into the Ford era. Roby was quite helpful, Bishop had apparently developed his game abit  but could not play last year and is gone this year and Welmer unfortunately has been plagued by injuries throughout his time here. 

7 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

No. Bishop, like Roby and Welmer, are Crews guys.  Likely that Ford would not have recruited them, but they were here. No one ever said they were franchise players. Believe the post was meant to mock and diminish the loss to Coach Ford and the team. Instead, they were guys who had value and could help bridge the program into the Ford era. Roby was quite helpful, Bishop had apparently developed his game abit  but could not play last year and is gone this year and Welmer unfortunately has been plagued by injuries throughout his time here. 

I know who they are Clock. 

9 hours ago, slufanskip said:

The legend that Goodwin was promised the point was contradicted by Goodwin himself when he stated that he wasn't promised anything

@Glorydays2013started this story several years ago.  It wasn't true then and it has never been true.  Coach never promised any specific starting job to any player and he never will.

slufanskip likes this

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

@Glorydays2013started this story several years ago.  It wasn't true then and it has never been true.  Coach never promised any specific starting job to any player and he never will.

Coach has likened Goodwin to Marcus Smart in multiple interviews.  The thing is, Marcus Smart wasn't a full-time point guard at Oklahoma State either.  So you're right, Ford never promised Goodwin the point guard starting job.

slufanskip likes this

41 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Coach has likened Goodwin to Marcus Smart in multiple interviews.  The thing is, Marcus Smart wasn't a full-time point guard at Oklahoma State either.  So you're right, Ford never promised Goodwin the point guard starting job.

If I haven't said it.......Welcome back to regular posting.  This place would be a morgue without you right now.....

brianstl and slufanskip like this

This thread is just really dumb.  Gotta respond...

This is Coach Ford's 3rd year, and the roster has been rattled to the extreme.  The first 2 years were near disastrous, in terms of the roster.  Some of the fault may be the staff taking chances on troublemakers, knuckleheads, or whatever,  and privately I'm sure they might even admit that.  But this kind of turnover is terrible for a team.  Just terrible.  Do you realize how difficult it is to not only play with just 6-7 players -- but to practice?? They cannot even go 4 on 4 in practice, let alone 5 on 5, with scholarship athletes!  How do you practice with 7 guys, anyway??

As far as recruiting: by my count we have 3 strong recruits who came in as freshmen for Ford:  3!  The 2 injured freshmen are wait and see, but I doubt if anyone would rank them so far as in a group with JG, HF, or FT.  Bess was a genuine steal as an upperclassman, who has truly blossomed; and Foreman showed what he can do the other night vs. Dayton.  So that's 5 keepers, 2 grad transfers who give us some good things, and at least 5-7 who could not cut it or could not keep it zipped up, or keep it off the web, or handle the competition and coaching, or whatever.  Possibly all Knuckleheads, but definitely all gone now.  That's about 50-50 by my count--at best.  The horrible roster situation meant taking a bunch of chances, and 50% or less is the result...

Also: lay off JG:  Goodwin is far and away one of the keepers, and he needs to develop his shooting, anyone can see that.  But how much do you think that $hitstorm called Situation 2 impacted his development?  And how much under these wacked out circumstances can we really expect from a new kid?  And yet he hangs in there and shows some leadership.  Kudos to Jordan.

Frankly the play on Tuesday was a godsend.  It shows what can still happen, and we all needed that -- as did the team.  But give it some time please.  We need some fresh bodies who will commit to the team and to 4 years of work.  Again, we got 2 sophomores and 1 freshman who look like they can be really, really good players.  But we need a bunch more.  I admit the losing streak was disappointing. But ... please stay TF!  Hot seat! Give me a break...