OT: Ford’s seat getting warm

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:01 PM, Westy03 said:

Please just tell me next years team won’t be this bad 

Strong returning core and some good help on the way -- but we will be without Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley, Santos, Gordon, Thor and possibly Welmer and more.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor scored 16 points last night in the Icelandic Superleague and was 2/2 on 2P, 3/6 on 3P and 3/4 from the line, as well as dishing out 7 assists and grabbing 3 boards!  Thor secured his team win with making two free throws in the end!

The game before Thor shot 5/10 from long range, so in last two games he has shot 8/16 on 3´s!

I think Travis made mistake not giving Thor any minutes to prove himself in the fall, we could definitely use him right now coming off the bench!   I heard from Billiken teammate that Thor was definatly one of the better shooters on the team.

1 hour ago, SLUbilliken said:

Thor scored 16 points last night in the Icelandic Superleague and was 2/2 on 2P, 3/6 on 3P and 3/4 from the line, as well as dishing out 7 assists and grabbing 3 boards!  Thor secured his team win with making two free throws in the end!

The game before Thor shot 5/10 from long range, so in last two games he has shot 8/16 on 3´s!

I think Travis made mistake not giving Thor any minutes to prove himself in the fall, we could definitely use him right now coming off the bench!   I heard from Billiken teammate that Thor was definatly one of the better shooters on the team.

So finish your point. That the Icelandic Superleague is equal or better than the A10 and that a good game there is proof that Coach Ford misused Thor?   You do know that Thor had significant health issues over the Summer and likely wasn't 100% in the Fall, right?   You do know that Coach Ford (unlike us) has been at all the practices this year and was able to watch and evaluate Thor with his assistant coaches, right?

Just now, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Thor isn’t the first player Ford couldn’t retain. While transfers happen all the time, this departure was not normal 

OK.  So finish your point.  His departure mid season was not normal.  Agreed.   It is also not normal to recruit and sign kids from Iceland in June prior to the season.  It is also not normal for kids to leave a US college and go back home to play professional basketball after playing 5 minutes of college basketball in 2 games. 

2 hours ago, SLUbilliken said:

Can you provide a link to this game in the "Icelandic Superleague"? I've never heard of that league.

As far as I can tell, there is no such thing this 'Superleague.'  There is the 'Urvalsdeild karla" which is also known as the 'Men's premier League" and also as the 'Domino's deildin' for sponsorship reasons but no 'superleague.'  Fake news by a first-time poster with one post?  Links, dude, links.  Show the math idiot.

Guys.

I am just a frustrated as the rest of you.   But I suggest that your frustration should be directed toward Dr. P and the Title IX females who chose to ignore the findings of the outside experts hired to investigate S2, and instead, rendered their own version of "justice."  Coach Ford did not realize that he would lose his 2 experienced PGs and his best outside shooter for this year.   Had he known that last Fall, he would have brought in PGs and perimeter shooters in last Fall.   Instead, Coach Ford was sandbagged and then blindsided by Dr. P and SLU.

You all think the offense doesn't click this year?  Yes, you are right.  But not because Coach Ford became a dumb game coach over the this past year.   Stop taking the easy route by restating the complaints from disgruntled Oklahoma State fans.  Coach Ford has proven himself enough these past 2 years that he can more than adequately game coach in the A10. I guarantee you that Coach Ford's offense this year would be clicking with Graves, Bishop and Henriquez helping out Bess, Goodwin, French, Thatch and Foreman.

Are many frustrated because the national experts picked SLU to win the A10?  Yes, but these are the same experts who unanimously voted Jim Crews the National Coach of the Year.

One poster even said he was against Coach Ford from the start.   Wow!! Where has that post been these past 3 years!

Are many frustrated that Isabell and Wiley are not leading us to the A10 Championship?  Sure, but they (along with Thor) were Coach Ford's back up plan after being sandbagged and shocked by Dr. P and the Title IX people.

Will things be better next year because of the incoming Yuri, Jimerson, Hargrove and Perkins ?  Yes, the offense will click better, but we also will be without Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley, Gordon, Thor, Santos and Welmer, 

I, for one, am glad that Coach Ford swung for the fences with Gordon.   I am also glad Coach Ford tried to plug the unexpected, gaping hold with Isabell, Wiley and Thor.  Major fails?  Sure.

At the same time, we have a good core:   Goodwin, French as Juniors -- Add in JUCO Perkins.  Next, we have Thatch, Hankton and probably Jacobs.  We have Freshmen Yuri, Jimerson and Hargrove and we have probably 4 more scholarships as well. Maybe we should have rebuilt slower and steadier.  But I do like the future of this program under Coach Ford.

52 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

So finish your point. That the Icelandic Superleague is equal or better than the A10 and that a good game there is proof that Coach Ford misused Thor?   You do know that Thor had significant health issues over the Summer and likely wasn't 100% in the Fall, right?   You do know that Coach Ford (unlike us) has been at all the practices this year and was able to watch and evaluate Thor with his assistant coaches, right?

Kendall Pollard, Chaz Williams, Sherrod Wright and Jalen Jenkins all play in the Dominos League. 

"Super League" or "Premier League", similar translation for the name of the top League in Iceland.   Taj79 has the correct Icelandic names "Urvalsdeild" or "Dominos deildin"

I have no link to the game but here are the stats:

http://kki.is/motamal/leikir-og-urslit/motayfirlit/Leikur?league_id=190&season_id=103153&game_id=4197873#mbt:6-400$t&0=1

My main point was that I and some others think that Travis has not given his freshmen class enough opportunites this season. If they get minutes they are taken out right away on their first mistake, while Isabell gets tolerated making mistakes after mistakes both on offence and defence!   Thor was the only scholarship player not getting any minutes to prove he could play in the fall/preseason, even we played against some week teams.

This is just my opinion and I might be wrong!   I still would like to have a player on the bench in our last and upcoming games, able to shoot 50% from the 3pt range and capable of making clutch free throws!  Having 7 assists also tells me that he can pass the ball!

Edited by SLUbilliken

2 minutes ago, SLUbilliken said:

"Super League" or "Premier League", similar translation on the translation for name of the top League in Iceland.   Taj79 has the correct Icelandic names "Urvalsdeild" or "Dominos deildin"

http://kki.is/motamal/leikir-og-urslit/motayfirlit/Leikur?league_id=190&season_id=103153&game_id=4197873#mbt:6-400$t&0=1

My main point was that I and some others think that Travis has not given his freshmen class enough opportunites this season. If they get minutes they are taken out right away on their first mistake, while Isabell gets tolerated making mistakes after mistakes both on offence and defence!   Thor was the only scholarship player not getting any minutes to prove he could play in the fall/preseason, even we played against some week teams.

This is just my opinion and I might be wrong!   I still would like to have a player on the bench in our last and upcoming games, able to shoot 50% from the 3pt range and capable of making clutch free throws!  Having 7 assists also tells me that he can pass the ball!

What you failed to mention is that he did not get on campus until right before classes started if not after and had appendicitis (sp?) which required surgery and recovery hurting his practice time. Sometimes it just doesn't work out a la Jeff Reid.

3 minutes ago, SLUbilliken said:

"Super League" or "Premier League", similar translation for name of the top League in Iceland.   Taj79 has the correct Icelandic names "Urvalsdeild" or "Dominos deildin"

Points Exclamation GIF

jimbofive likes this

37 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

You all think the offense doesn't click this year?  Yes, you are right.  But not because Coach Ford became a dumb game coach over the this past year.   Stop taking the easy route by restating the complaints from disgruntled Oklahoma State fans.  Coach Ford has proven himself enough these past 2 years that he can more than adequately game coach in the A10. I guarantee you that Coach Ford's offense this year would be clicking with Graves, Bishop and Henriquez helping out Bess, Goodwin, French, Thatch and Foreman.

apparently you are assuming we thought the previous offenses for coach ford were good?   personally i just accepted what they presented because what could one expect with the players he was utilizing.  yes they overachieved. but  it still sucked.

If we didn't have multiple years of Ford's UMass teams averaging well over 70 ppg, I could see how offense would be a long-term concern.  But we have that evidence.  He had good offensive teams the last time he was in the A-10 with talent he assembled.  When the roster is well-stocked, we'll have good results on offense.

13 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

Strong returning core and some good help on the way -- but we will be without Bess, Foreman, Isabell, Wiley, Santos, Gordon, Thor and possibly Welmer and more.

No big loss in Foreman or Isabell. Still hoping Wiley will help our perimeter shooting. 

32 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

apparently you are assuming we thought the previous offenses for coach ford were good?   personally i just accepted what they presented because what could one expect with the players he was utilizing.  yes they overachieved. but  it still sucked.

Roy.

With all due respect, this is only Coach Ford's third year for us.  I am not going to blame Coach Ford for his offense that first year without his guys.  As to the second year, Ford still didn't have his full team.  That second year (last year), Goodwin played some PG but Coach Ford also was to have Bishop all of last year and Graves for most of last year -- and he had neither.  Instead, he worked magic with Roby at PG quite a bit and without Goodwin for the balance of last year.  I believe Coach Ford was counting on both Bishop and Graves to help run the offense last year -- and this year. 

And even though you are not saying it, many others are suggesting that Goodwin is not the answer at PG (some are writing him off completely).  Maybe that's true.  Others have said Coach Ford promised Goodwin the PG position and that Ford would make Goodwin the next Marcus Smart come hell or highwater...   Again, the fact that we had Bishop, added Graves, used Roby, added and used Isabell and now are adding Yuri does not indicate that Coach Ford is rigid and going to stick with Goodwin no matter what or that Coach Ford is content with how our offense runs this year.

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Look we had our most promising shooter on the Bench, not playing for a team who is lacking bodies and shooters. Just seems weird

Really?  Our most promissory shooter on the Bench was Thor?   Really?  Why do you say this?   Is it possible that his shooting wasn't as good as advertised?  Or more likley, that his shooting was good but that the other parts of his game were so far behind the others that any increase in shooting percentage (assuming an increase) would be offset by the other parts of his game.  He wouldn't be the first overseas Freshman not ready for high level D1.   Again, you do know, that he signed late, had serious medical issues causing him to apparently lose 15 pounds and miss working out with the team this summer and this Fall. 

Or is this a Coach Ford conspiracy?  Coach Ford is trying to tank this season by not using our most promising shooter?   Or no conspiracy... just that Coach Ford is too dumb (see bitter comments from Oklahoma State fans for not advancing far enough in NCAA Tournament and not beating certain Big XII rivals) to see that he had our most promising shooter on the Bench?  

21 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

And even though you are not saying it, many others are suggesting that Goodwin is not the answer at PG (some are writing him off completely).  Maybe that's true.  Others have said Coach Ford promised Goodwin the PG position and that Ford would make Goodwin the next Marcus Smart come hell or highwater...   

i had heard the same or maybe read it here, yet last year he played hines and roby at the point for far more minutes than goodwin at the point.   this year ford comes out with isabell at the point until he couldnt take it anymore.   doesnt seem to be a "hell or highwater"  scenario to me.  

personally i believe goodwin would be good as the lead guard in the right offense.   unfortunately that right offense is obviously not the one norman dale prefers to utilize that ford also is attached to.   

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Look we had our most promising shooter on the Bench, not playing for a team who is lacking bodies and shooters. Just seems weird

seems to me the only thing you have to base this on is the fact his brother is quite the player.   i find it hard to believe thor would have been buried on the bench as deep as he was if he indeed was the best shooter on the team.   

Box and Won likes this

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He was better in conference as a freshman than Isabell has been as a senior.  Those are facts.

that's not saying much considering what a let down isabell has been.