OT: Ford’s seat getting warm

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

Goodwin's 2nd year looks a lot like Jett's freshman year. Goodwin gets more rebounds and takes more shots. Jett is more efficient and a better defender.

Jett's soph year the Billikens were 34th in KenPom Offensive Efficiency. Majerus used him in a role where he was the 2nd wave (w/ Cody) that tightened the defensive intensity, and usually was on the floor at the end of the game, but with Conklin and Kwamain (and Evans and Ellis), Jett was not depended on for crunch time scoring. 

This team badly needs a guy who they can just give the ball, and he can beat his man off the dribble and score. I expected Goodwin to be that type of player at this stage of his development, but he's not there at the moment.

I think that as sophomores, they are pretty damn even as defenders.  Goodwin has the slightly better defensive rating and defensive win share.  Jett has a slightly better defensive plus/minus.  If pushed, I probably give the edge to Goodwin because he actually forces more turnovers than Jett did.  Goodwin is averaging 4 steals per 100 possessions while Jett averaged 3.3 per 100 possessions as a sophomore.

When you look at Goodwin in total, I think we really miss how good he has been even this year.  Him and Jett are pretty damn even overall as sophomores.  Goodwins assist to turnover ratio as a sophomore is better than Jett's. Goodwin averages 12 rebounds per 100 possessions as a guard along with 6.5 assists. So far his player efficiency rating is tied with Jett's as a sophomore at 16.2. Goodwin was better as a freshman and that leads me to believe he might be playing with some kind of nagging injury this season.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't think Goodwin is the factor here what I see is we have all these graduate students on the roster that Ford have given high dollar scholarships to and the only senior that is producing is Bess. TI has the mindset when he got here that he was going to be the man and that's definitely hasn't been the case. He's selfish and only thinks of himself when he's out there on the court. Bess obviously is getting looked at to go to the NBA, which he deserves with all the hard work that he's put in. Foreman is completely loss out there in which half of the time he has no clue what's going on. For instance KC came in and gave us some really good minutes off the bench guess where Ford put him right back on the bench it's the like the guy don't have a clue to do with the talent he has. Thatch sits on the bench almost the entire second half Ford brings him in with two minutes left and decides to press and make a run. I'm just saying we need to retire the senior citizens that's playing and build the program around our younger guys that's on the bench are we will be back to square one having guys playing for us next year with really no experience.

1 hour ago, Duff Man said:

On the year, French's stats are very similar to his freshman year - worse FG% and more rebounds, but very similar. Like I said, he's been trending up since the start of A10 play (and the departure of CG), but again, his FT shooting truly limits his potential as a scorer. I think most people expected him to build on, not replicate his freshman year.

image.thumb.png.ea4c85cc69d5e7d275df5bcc8fcd9e19.png

Hell, even Ford basically stated earlier in the year that French needed to step it up.  First 10 games, French underperformed.  Last 10 games, he has been the player we thought he would be.  Overall, for the season, he has been mildly disappointing.  This isn’t outlandish to say. 

slufan13 likes this

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Agreed.  I can’t recall one single non-troll poster saying that.  

The proper way to counter saying Goodwin has not played up to my expectations is to claim you said he sucks and you don't even want him on the team. To counter he's partially responsible for the team not meeting expectations this year you claim you understood the poster saying it's completely his fault. That's the way message boards work. 

moytoy12 likes this

If you can honestly say this is what you were expecting from Goodwin 21 games in this season

10 ppg / a shooting line of 38/25/57 / 3.75 apg /2.75 to pg / 6.8 rpg 

then fine Jordan has met your expectations. Sorry but I expected more. Doesn't mean I don't like him or want him on the team or believe he'll have a very good maybe great Billiken career. Simply means I thought he'd be playing better to date this year. 

Funny but I bet Jordan would agree with me. 

Duff Man and Zink like this

Goodwin and French are not problems. Yes, they both have shortcomings; JGood needs an outside shot, and French has to improve his FTs. 

The real problem is we're playing w/o a true quarterback. We needed a true PG this year to direct an offense. Some will say we have no offensive scheme, but we might if we had a true PG. I certainly hope Yuri is physically capable next year to stand up to the D1 grind. From the videos I've seen and reports from posters who've seen him he could just be what the doctor ordered. Move JGood to the 2 or 3 and get him working on his shooting. 

Bess is having a great year. Goodwin and French are having good years. The other 3 seniors disappointing years. The freshman are hit and miss.

Goodwin and French are being compared to their very good freshman years on a below average team to now on an above average team. Goodwins shooting percentage definitely needs to improve but he brings so much more than scoring to a team.  He probably is playing out of position at point guard but that is where the team needs him. He is all about doing what helps the team win.

2 hours ago, ARon said:

People are applying upperclassmen expectations to a pair of sophomores (one of which missed a chunk of his freshman year).

This is only because we don’t have other performing upperclassmen beyond Bess to lean on.

If you want to be disappointed, look at the performance of two fifth-year seniors in Isabell and Foreman.

But those two sophomores were ranked among the top 20 players in the A-10 preseason - that is why expectations for this team were so high. And I don't recall anybody on the board at the time disputing that they shouldn't have those type of expectations based on how they performed as freshmen. The two 5th year players were added in early June to try to round out the roster - but the core of the team was supposed to be Bess, Goodwin, French and Gordon.  If you go back and look at the threads, we had a lot of folks on the board convinced we were going to be an NCAA Tourney team this year even before adding the two grad transfers.

42 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If you can honestly say this is what you were expecting from Goodwin 21 games in this season

10 ppg / a shooting line of 38/25/57 / 3.75 apg /2.75 to pg / 6.8 rpg 

then fine Jordan has met your expectations. Sorry but I expected more. Doesn't mean I don't like him or want him on the team or believe he'll have a very good maybe great Billiken career. Simply means I thought he'd be playing better to date this year. 

Funny but I bet Jordan would agree with me. 

Hater.

slufan13 likes this

Our problems begin with our imbalance of position players.

We have two power forwards in French and Foreman.

We have two small forwards in Bess and Goodwin.

Our shooting guards are Isabell, Hankton, Wiley.

our combo guards are Jacobs and Thatch.

We have no point guard, which would not be a problem if we had two good shooters on the floor. Without the shooters to spread the floor, guards/forwards sag on French and also shut down the driving lanes.

isabell is the only guard fast and strong enough to get a shoulder past a defender and drive, but he is so often out of control that he picks up an offensive foul every game on key drives, and a turnover beyond that as well.

some people forget. We used to be happy with two star guards as our lead guard recruit, while now we are getting three stars for the end of the bench.

Almost four decades later, we finally got our Craig Upchurch in Gordon. Didn’t work out, but we got him, and there will be another next year.

Chill out, we ever so slowly are getting there.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it does bother me he rolled the dice on gordon with all the historical red flags that were out there, but i also recognize all the potential that gordon had and cant blame him for going for it.   

I think the fact that Gordon jumped aboard so early it was hard for coach to acknowledge all the red flags.

I was looking at Pomeroy and was curious how we compared to last season, kind of interesting (didn't realize just how slow we played last season):

2017-18: #148 in Pomeroy (#225 in adjusted offensive efficiency/#80 in adjusted defensive efficiency), #337 in adjusted tempo, and #113 in strength of schedule rating

2018-19 (thru Wednesday, January 30th): #122 in Pomeroy (#269 in adjusted offensive efficiency/#29 in adjusted defensive efficiency), #199 in adjusted tempo, and #201 in strength of schedule rating

27 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

I was looking at Pomeroy and was curious how we compared to last season, kind of interesting (didn't realize just how slow we played last season):

2017-18: #148 in Pomeroy (#225 in adjusted offensive efficiency/#80 in adjusted defensive efficiency), #337 in adjusted tempo, and #113 in strength of schedule rating

2018-19 (thru Wednesday, January 30th): #122 in Pomeroy (#269 in adjusted offensive efficiency/#29 in adjusted defensive efficiency), #199 in adjusted tempo, and #201 in strength of schedule rating

-yesterday during the game I looked and we were #16 in defensive efficiency

15 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

It might seem out there right now, but there needs to be a sudden trend upward soon or else this title will be a news article soon. If Ford cannot pull it together by the end of this year plus next year, I would not be surprised to see both him and Chris May removed. 

Ford’s recruiting has been top of the line, however his ability to coach and retain key players is F grade. 

To start off, we had 3 players decide to go to subpar schools instead of play for Ford with Bartley, Malik, and Miles. Those were all players we could have used in Ford’s first season. Then Bishop, Graves, Adonys and almost Goodwin. Remember that Goodwin, whom I love to death, was almost kicked off the team by sit 2. Then Jalen, Thor, Santos, Gordon. Yes Zeke left as well. 

This season and past season can be blamed on a lack of depth. Losing to Richmond would not have happened with Gordon and that’s a fact. Foreman should never be on a starting roster. 

This lack of depth we all know about is 100% on Travis Ford. Was situation 2 Ford’s fault? No of course not, but remember as a leader you are responsible for everything that those whom you are taking responsibility over, do. It’s a fact of leadership. Is us being a poor FT shooting team on Ford, Yes, he is the coach and as a coach players need to develop underneath you. 

The two greatest achievements Ford has had IMO is Goodwins triple double and putting Bess in the NBA ( as it looks rn ). 

Onto coaching. This board likes to say things like (obviously coach is working with what he sees at practice). Well now it’s about 20 games in and he has made ZERO CHANGES to our offense. Our “top” defense is no more and we have one of the worst offenses in American collegiant basketball. We have the most althletic team in the A10, yet we don’t press when we clearly should and we have our top althete sit over a turnover machine. Foreman and Isabell have played significantly way too much, and our freshmen have been given zero time to develop until too late in the season. Thor could have been a weapon if he played more than a single minute this year. Isabell has regressed more and more. Goodwin has regressed as well. This team is done playing for Ford it seems. 

You may disagree with bits and pieces of what I’ve had to say, but you can’t deny that if we do not trend upward fast, next year is going to be make or break. 

Rant over. 

Ford arrived with an "empty" roster.  He has essentially two recruiting classes given the fact he came in too late the year he was hired to have much of an impact.  Give the man some time.  He has done just fine given the state of the program when he took over.  Here's a fan hoping he is in for the long haul.  Virtually all successful mid-major programs have one thing in common ....... coaching continuity.

rgbilliken likes this

2 hours ago, almaman said:

I think the fact that Gordon jumped aboard so early it was hard for coach to acknowledge all the red flags.

slu had months to vett gordon and pull back their offer if seen fit prior to the early signing date.   not saying they should have without the hindsight we have now, my gosh at one time gordon was deemed like a top 20 talent.  every coach likely believes they can be the one to change the mindset.  probably had to take the chance.  but it sounds like after here, there was entirely too much head turning.  

3 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Ford arrived with an "empty" roster.  He has essentially two recruiting classes given the fact he came in too late the year he was hired to have much of an impact.  Give the man some time.  He has done just fine given the state of the program when he took over.  Here's a fan hoping he is in for the long haul.  Virtually all successful mid-major programs have one thing in common ....... coaching continuity.

The problem I see is that we actually trend downward next year by trading Bess/Isabell for new freshman.  Goodwin/French will be the only offensive threats we get with an occasional good night from new freshman...no way that replaces throughout of Bess/TI.  If this holds true, we just might end up in the bottom of the pile next year.

I hope I'm wrong, but if we finish worse next year...he gone.

6 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

The problem I see is that we actually trend downward next year by trading Bess/Isabell for new freshman.  Goodwin/French will be the only offensive threats we get with an occasional good night from new freshman...no way that replaces throughout of Bess/TI.  If this holds true, we just might end up in the bottom of the pile next year.

Think you are wrong.  Are you forgetting Javonte Perkins?  Perkins looks like a big time player.  Goodwin, French will be better.  Often frosh make big improvement and love Thatch especially.  And Jacobs, going to be a player.  Have high hope for all 3 of our incoming frosh.  And at least one or two of them will contribute a lot.  And, SLU still have scholarships to give.  Hate losing Bess, the others should be replaceable.  SLU should be as good or better.

15 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

That's nonsense. He's not going anywhere soon.

Billiken Rich likes this